Notices

Low carb barbecue sauce

Old 06-24-2010, 06:11 AM
FitDay Member

Default Low carb barbecue sauce

Hello all,

I am doing Atkins and thought I might take a moment to share my favorite custom food: my homemade low carb barbecue sauce. It is very easy to make.

1 cup reduced sugar ketchup
1 small bottle of liquid smoke
1 or 2 packets of splenda

That's it! Just mix those three ingredients together and presto! It even carmelizes correctly on the barbecue. The entire recipe has 16 or 17 grams of carbs, and I usually spread it over 8-10 pieces of meat, so I just count it as two grams per serving. I have tried it on pork loin and boneless beef shortribs so far, both with great results. I am sure it would be good on chicken as well.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:43 PM
FitDay Member

Great easy recipe - thanks!
I'm on Atkins as well. I make a low carb mac and cheese but have no idea how to log it into Fitday (today is day 1 using fitday). Do you know how to log in a dish that has a long list of ingredients including things not listed on fitday like Dreamfields LowCarb noodles. I would hate to have to list a dozen ingredients everytime i cook this. Do you know how to do this? Thanks, Barb
Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Create a custom food

Originally Posted by 123888
Great easy recipe - thanks!
I'm on Atkins as well. I make a low carb mac and cheese but have no idea how to log it into Fitday (today is day 1 using fitday). Do you know how to log in a dish that has a long list of ingredients including things not listed on fitday like Dreamfields LowCarb noodles. I would hate to have to list a dozen ingredients everytime i cook this. Do you know how to do this? Thanks, Barb
Hi Barb,

Congratulations on the decision to start Atkins and to use FitDay!

I have found that the foods already listed in FitDay, especially the prepared foods, are not very accurate. For your low carb mac & cheese I would recommend adding up all the nutritional values of the separate ingredients on paper, then create a custom food with those values. That way, you only need to add the one custom food to your food log and it will always be there in your custom food list. Actually, I enter anything I have the nutritional information for as a custom food because the ones on the list are usually inaccurate. The only time I use the ones from the list are in situations when I don't have the nutritional information. For example, if I have a cobb salad at a restaurant I will just use the fitday version of cobb salad and estimate the amount in cups. It's probably not terribly accurate, but it does provide a guideline.

Best of luck!

Dave

Male, 6'0" tall, 37 y/o

Starting weight, 4/19/10 (started Atkins) = 287
6/16/10 (finished Atkins book & joined Fitday) = 261
latest weight 7/15/10 = 250
mini goal (wedding) 9/4/10 = 235
ultimate goal for lifetime maintenance by 4/19/11 (one year mark, 100 pounds loss) = 187
This will be my lightest weight since high school!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 AM
FitDay Member

I have been useing this to get the info for things I make myself and then making it a custom food on FitDay. Recipe Calculator
Old 09-19-2010, 06:30 AM
FitDay Member

123888, this is how I do it:

I have tons of recipes loaded to my custom foods. After cooking a dish, I enter all the recipe total ingredients on a blank page of my food log. Then (and here's the tricky part for soup) I determine how many servings it made. Well, we all know a serving "size" is a relative thing. I personally call a serving of soup for an adult 1.5 cups, but most people say 1 cup. Once I have determined how many servings I consider the recipe makes, I divide the figures Fitday gave me by the number of servings to get the nutritional info for ONE serving. And don't forget to divide the fiber by # servings as well! I jot my serving numbers on a piece of paper. Then I load up a CUSTOM FOOD, being sure to include serving size (1.5 c) as part of the food/recipe name (since Fitday shows 1 serving only).

For example: Soup, Tuscan Bean, 1.5 c

And then I enter all the numbers and click the SAVE button.

That's all there is to it!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:41 PM
FitDay Member

Hi,

Could you tell me where you purchase your low sugar ketchup and liquid smoke? Are these items available at local grocery stores or do you order them online?

Thanks