Notices

difficult to find foods in food search

Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default difficult to find foods in food search

New to this so maybe I'm not doing it right. Couldn't find sunflower seeds still in the hull and seasoned. So I just guessed how many seeds in a cup of unhulled seeds...leaves it all to guess work or having to calculate it somehow which is why I liked this little program...I didn't have to do that myself.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:28 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome to FitDay!

To find hulled sunflower seeds, click on "Food Browse," then "Bean, Pea & Nut," then "Seeds."

Scroll down and you'll see them. Choose which one you want, then click "Add to food log." In your food log, you can adjust your serving size accordingly.

Good luck! Let us know if you have any more questions!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:17 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Fawnlina
New to this so maybe I'm not doing it right. Couldn't find sunflower seeds still in the hull and seasoned. So I just guessed how many seeds in a cup of unhulled seeds...leaves it all to guess work or having to calculate it somehow which is why I liked this little program...I didn't have to do that myself.
It would be nice if the search were a little more robust.

Just today I had some slices of roast beef sandwitch meat and tried to put them in, but nothing. I could find everything from roast beef sandwitches to roast duck, but no plain old roast beef. In some other search I found "beef, roasted" of some sort, but I haven't been able to duplicate that search.

It's kinda frustrating when you know exactly what you want to find and you're sure it absolutely must be there, but can't find it.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:16 PM
FitDay Member

I joined the site a few days ago and am still working my way around, but unless I am using the search incorrectly it does seem to be limited for example I cannot find "Beetroot". Can the experts share search ideas or should we encourage more entries on the list.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:42 AM
FitDay Member

Question Food Searches

Originally Posted by sexy59
I joined the site a few days ago and am still working my way around, but unless I am using the search incorrectly it does seem to be limited for example I cannot find "Beetroot". Can the experts share search ideas or should we encourage more entries on the list.
Hi sexy59

Beetroot? A new food to me. Does it look just like a beet? Curious.

If I can not find what I want on the FD Food Search I will do one of two things. One if I have a label - I make a 'custom food'. Two I go to another website call 'WHFoods' and look at their food list. I do this a lot for veggies and fruits, it may help with the beetroot, but they do have other foods too. Once you find your food, scroll down to the end and you will find the nutrition values.

Just an idea, Carren
Old 09-16-2010, 02:29 AM
FitDay Member

Somtimes using Browse instead of search produces better results. Some of the problem may also be dialect related (like British english vs. American english). I assume what you call beetroot is refered to as just Beet in the USA. I found Beet by searching and by browsing for vegetables. (I also found Beet greens, the tops of beets). I almost always use browse when looking for a meat or poultry item. The search for these never seems to get me what I am looking for.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:04 PM
FitDay Member

When I search for ground beef, I get game meat-buffalo as the first reponse I use Calorie King's website when I can't find a food here, then open fitday in another window to make a custom food. Now that I've been doing it a while, I use my "recent foods" and "custom foods" most of the time. I keep my searches short and simple, but it took me months to find nondairy creamer (it's under cream substitute-powdered lol).
Old 09-17-2010, 04:03 PM
FitDay Member

Lizzy;
When I search for ground beef, I get game meat-buffalo as the first reponse
Exactly the problem I have also, but if you browse to meat, beef, ground beef you even get percentage of lean choices.