Notices

Feeling faint?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:41 AM
FitDay Member

Question Feeling faint?

I started working out today after not having much hard exercise for a month or so and I haven't been in a gym for over a year. Anyways I was on an elliptical for about ten minutes and was going at a very light pace, about 2.2mph if I can remember correctly. I got off to get a drink and became very light headed and had to sit down for a few minutes until it passed. I wasn't breathing very hard and I wasn't that tired.
I did deal with asthma when I was younger, is this a sign of it coming back?
Any ideas of what caused this? I was about to keep working out after a few minutes and it didn't happen again. But I was alone in the gym and it kind of scared me to think I might pass out in there without anyone around.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:47 AM
FitDay Member

What did you have to eat prior to the gym?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:02 AM
FitDay Member

two pieces of pizza from last night and a little water
Old 09-14-2010, 01:47 PM
FitDay Member

And I think we have our answer... Have you considered maybe having a banana and taking a jug of water to drink while you're on the thing?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 AM
FitDay Member

You definitely need to be drinking more water before your work out. And give your body the right fuel beforehand aswell. No need to say this, but pizza ain't good!

I always start the day with something along the lines of porridge with some almonds and fruit (something from the berry family is the best as they are the slowest burners) and at least 500ml of water.

Also, did you jump straight on the elliptical or did you do a warm-up? I've been on the elliptical virtually everyday for the past 3 months, and occasionally I get some dizziness if I don't do a warm-up like stretches and 5 minutes on a stationary bike to get my heart rate up.

I hope the dizziness didn't put you off too much!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:23 AM
FitDay Member

I certainly am no doctor, but my understanding of symptoms of asthma include coughing, wheezing, chest tightness and shortness of breath. It's usually recommended that asthmatics keep hydrated and have a 10-15 min. warm up and cool down period. I will say that exercising intensely in a fasted state can potentially zap your energy--particularly during a long session and could cause dizziness. I do like to do my cardio sometimes in a fasted state (a controversial practice), but I only do that shortly after I wake up and for only 20 minutes tops. There are lots of causes for dizziness. Hopefully this isn't a problem by now, but if so, I'd check in with my doctor.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:57 AM
FitDay Member

I had the same thing happen the first time I used the arc trainer (which is a very similar machine). I was fine on it, but when I stepped off, everything got quiet and it was like I was in a tunnel, I had to sit down. And I had it on the minimum settings too. In my case, it was just because I was so woefully out of shape, that thing gets your heart going more than you realize! I could only do 7 minutes at first, now I'm up to 30 mins with increased incline and resistance, and I actually love the "red devil" as my trainer calls it, because I have bad joints and it's the closest I'll ever get to a full out run.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:01 PM
FitDay Member

I am glad I am not the only one thats had this happen Lizzycritter!

I went to the gym again, after having a good breakfast and did a 20 min warm up on the treadmil before using the eliptical. This time when I got off I wasn't dizzy, a little out of breath but fine. I am def going to being warming up from now on before trying something I haven't done in a while.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:20 PM
FitDay Member

Hello! I used to be a really active person about 8 months ago and even I would experience that sometimes. I was really dehydrated. I became more aware of what I was drinking throughout the day. I would drink water all day long and bring a gatorade to the gym with me. Usually I would just take a few swigs during my little rest and then just drink the rest of it after my work out and stretch. Glad it's getting better for you!!