Notices

amazing inpiration

Old 09-09-2010, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Default amazing inpiration

I am not a "runner" by any stretch of the imagination. Last year I did my 1st race ever (on foot hehe), it was the Mardi Gras Rock N Roll marathon. I did the 1/2 in 3h 4m and I was quite happy. The fact that I finished my 1st race, a 1/2 marathon at that was something to be proud of. I decided to fly out to Va Beach to try another 1/2 marathon, this time I vowed to finish in less than 3 hrs.... remember I'm not a runner.

Even though there was a Hurricane headed up the East coast, the weather ended up being great! I started off at a slow walking pace, then finally sped up. Got shin splints, but kept pushing . Within the 1st couple miles I was already 5 minutes behind my pace, but I never gave up! Before I knew it I was back on pace and gaining ground. Just as I was feeling good, I got passed by a guy with one leg. Leterally one leg, not even a prosthetic! Well I kept on truckin' and finished the 1/2 marathon in 2h 48m!

Here's is a pic, the quality sucks b/c I was running (trying to keep up with him) and it was from my cell phone. This goes to show that you can do anything... if you want it bad enough!

And me crossing the finish line!

While there I signed up for 2 more 1/2 marathons. If any of you have thought about running, walking or crawling a race... do it! There were the skinny, big, young, old, people in wheelchairs, a guy with one leg, and a guy that juggled while he ran, proving that anyone can do it... if they want to!

Mike

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 09-09-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:29 AM
FitDay Member

That's badazz! Congrats on beating your earlier time.
I'm working my way up to doing a 1/2 marathon. I've ran three 5ks in the last 2 months and signed up for 4 more....
Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

you could probably do the 1/2 now! Congrats on doing the 3 and commiting to 4 more!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:47 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats on your run! Thats so awesome! I'm restarting the couch 2 5k program again at a faster pace.

Here's an inspiring video about a one-legged dog that I came upon today....

YouTube - Faith the Biped Dog Visits St. Louis
Old 09-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Luckygir15
Congrats on your run! Thats so awesome! I'm restarting the couch 2 5k program again at a faster pace.

Here's an inspiring video about a one-legged dog that I came upon today....

YouTube - Faith the Biped Dog Visits St. Louis
wow, that dog is cool!