Notices

My Weight-Loss Journey

Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 PM
FitDay Member

Jordin,
Now don't worry too much. You are not going to have any health issues for not taking a multivitamin for a week or for eating "sub-optimally" for some time. None of us actually does 100% of the things that he/she suggests. Since you're young it's good that you start to understand that it's not all about calories but also about quality of the foods you ingest, but don't stress too much. Eggs and green beans are actually great! And so is milk and fruit, so keep eating those. What else do you have at home right now? Maybe there's something you don't think it would be good but would be a good replacement for some of the cereals (and muffins!) you eat!
Having started to watch out what you eat is a great start already, and you'll learn a lot more along the way and maybe make some changes.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:01 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up It's a long distance race!

Hello Jordyn,
I am sending you BIG props for being so real and brave. You are making sooo many good decisions on your journey... especially the one to seek out a support system. I also come from a long line of women who have struggled with their weight. At the age of about 13 I began to battle bulimia. The pressure to be thin and control what I "thought" I could control got to me. Although it was a horrible time, it taught me sooo much! I began to really heal and get better about 5 years later and now I am almost finished with my degree in dietetics and am working on getting my license as a Clinical Nutritionist. I have also worked as a weight loss/nutritional counselor. I knew quite a bit before I started in that position but while working there I learned a lot of tricks and tips that helped me drop 20lbs. So... that said, allow me to give you some quick tips from both my education, personal experience, and extensive background with others. I hope this helps and can't wait to watch you get healthy!

Take your weight and divide it by two. That is how many ounces of water you should take in a day. (Tip: Fluid retention is real and a pain in the butt! Individuals can at times retain up 6-8lbs of FLUID!) If you have been eating really "clean" and then eat something higher in sodium or sugar you WILL retain fluids it is just a matter of how much. So... if you are flucuating on the scale.... remember it takes 3000 kcals to gain or lose one pound of fat. Unless you hit up the buffet big time.. if your weight is up.. u are retaining fluids. No biggie.. water flushes water. More water for a few days and some fresh lemon juice and you'll be good. Same principal if you r sick or experiencing muscle soreness which also cause retention.

Protein is important for a lot of reasons. The primary one being that it is the hardest for your body to break down. Your metabolism has to kick into overdrive to digest it. This is good! It keeps your metabolism running at a nice high rate throughout the day. Space it out. Protein at EVERY meal and snack! Three meals a day and two snacks containing at least 10 grams of protein. I like shakes and protein bars but each to their own Chicken, Turkey, Fish, Beef ( limit beef to a few times a week) and Eggs and Protein Powders are all better choices than beans while trying to drop weight. I adore beans for their fiber/protein combo but they are also full of carbs and breakdown in the body like a starch. If u are working out... liquid protein immediately afterwards will help your muscle cells repair faster and eventually reduce soreness(lactic acid). It is very hard to have too much protein, water, or fiber but very easy to not get enough.

Sugars...even natural ones should be limited while trying to drop weight. Stay away from juice....you should just eat the fruit. At least Two a day Everyday! Eat your carbs(if possible) earlier in the day. Unless you are working out at night and will be burning them off before bedtime. There are lots of foods that I think are healthy and are important to include for nutritional reasons that are not ideal for weight loss. I add them back after dropping weight. Ex. peanut butter, real butter, milks other than skim, and I am very careful with when I eat high sugar veggies and fruits. Not forever though.

Fats... Very important! Healthy fats... are tricky. Obviously stay away from bad fats. Lard..butter..fried junk. However, good fats can be overdone easily. This is my weakness Avocados, Nuts, Olive oil, cheese, etc. All have excellent nutritional components but also have a ton of fat in a small serving. So... figure out what 1-2 serving of these babies are and don't go over that a day. another tip: white cheese is lower in cal. swiss, mozz. etc.

I know that I have rambled on and on. This however is my passion.. and has been for years also my burden. I have subscribed to your blog and am rooting for you! Remember, this is a long distance race, not a sprint!

Last edited by rshep9101; 08-27-2010 at 03:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-27-2010, 04:57 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Jordyn! How are you doing today? I just wanted to post a quick note and let you know I'm still reading along -- and enjoying hearing about your journey. Sounds like you're doing great! Try not to worry too much... slow and steady wins the race, as they say.

PS - I really like your quote snippets from the journal, near your signature. And posting daily is a great way to maintain your positive attitude and get support.

*hugs*

Keep up the good work!
Smoosh
Old 08-27-2010, 11:55 AM
FitDay Member

I'm really sad you guys. My internet connection isn't working, and I've tried everything to fix it. I'm using my phone right now, but there's no way I can continue this by phone. I'll take my pictures on Sunday still, so I can post them when I'm back. I'll stick to eating right, and I'll still exercise. For now though, I have to wait until my internet kicks in again. I'm so sorry you guys. I hope it's soon. If anything until it works again I'll update you guys on how I am every few days by phone.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:45 PM
FitDay Member

Jordyn,
If you have access to a local public library, they usually provide internet access free of charge - depending on demand, it's usually for a 30 minute to 1 hour time limit... but it might be an option for you until your access comes online at home.

Don't be sad! *hugs* Hope it gets fixed soon!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 AM
FitDay Member

Jordyn ~ wow girl you sure have some challenges to go along with this weight loss. you are doing great!!! off to a great start!! have your dad go shopping with you like you said & i'm sure you'll get some more variety in your diet then. i'm sorry about your mom ((hugs)) i'm old enough to be your mom...lol...& would love to cyber 'adopt' you as i'm sure many would on here. any problems or trials we are all here for you. that's great about writing in your journal. i'm surprised how much i actually write in mine & your right it does help release things. keep up the great work!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vsabino
I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks about your protein intake? Do you guys think that 45 g a day for a 18-year old who runs for 1-hr a day is enough?
It all depends on what you're trying to do. I can say that when I upped my protein intake to 30-40% it helped me break through a plateau that I couldn't get past using just calorie restriction and exercise. But we're all a little different.

I have to say gunna, that you are one brave cookie. Not only could I not bring myself to post those photos, I couldn't even bring myself to take them. I'm raising my caffeine free diet coke your way, you go girl!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:00 PM
FitDay Member

Jordyn you are one brave girl! Kudos to you and keep up the good work!

There were questions about the macronutrient content of your diet. I found this on another forum and found it very helpful:

For FAT LOSS:
Total Daily Calories = Bodyweight or Lean body mass x 12

• This may need to be dropped to x11 or x10 if no progress after a few weeks
• Obese people can use LBM (lean body mass) instead of BW (body weight). If you want to figure out your LBM, take a look at your BMI. BMI is basically the % of your weight that is fat. Figure out how many pounds that is and subtract it from your BW.
• For a more accurate result, get a fat calliper test, offered at almost any gym, they cost money though.
• Your BMI at 196lbs is 32.6. So according to your BMI 64lbs of you is fat, meaning your LBM is around 132lbs. (BMI is just a good guess, and not fact, so don’t stress about the numbers too much)
Macronutrients for a day:
Protein = 1g per lb LBM/day (4 calories/ gram)
• Protein is important while dieting, especially if you are exercising. You want to maintain your muscle while loosing the fat. If you don’t get enough protein your body will take what it needs from your muscle, reducing your lean body mass, and your metabolism, which in turn will make it even harder to loose weight . . .
• Good choices: chicken & turkey breast, lean cuts of beef, Extra lean ground beef & turkey, tuna, salmon, prawns . . . protein bars & powder (but they are expensive)
Fat = .4-.5g per lb LBM/day (9 calories/ gram)
• yes, you read that right, healthy fats are important for fat loss
• Good choices: fish oil supplements (omega 3), olive oil, natural almonds, avocado . . .
Carbs = whatever remains to meet your calorie total (4 calories/grams don’t go below 100g/day
• Good choices: Whole grains and fresh fruit & veggies. Read labels, and avoid foods containing weird chemicals, added sugars (high fructose corn syrup), and a lot of sodium. High fibre is good
• Highly processes Carbohydrates, the stuff that comes in boxes or bags that have a million unreadable ingredients on the label, should be avoided for the simple fact that they are unhealthy and if you eat them they tend to create cravings for more of the same. They are addictive and nibbles usually turn into bites which turn into eating the whole stinking bag . . . makes it hard to stay on track.
So for you, assuming you still weigh 196lbs (which you probably don’t, but you can play with the numbers if you like)
Protein: 132g/day for 528 calories
Fat: 53g/day for 475 calories
Carbs: at LBMx12 = 1584 calories/day = 145 g/day for 580 calories

Also read, read, read, and educate yourself. Ask the nutritionists on the forum for good reliable sources on food choices. I personally found Tosca Reno’s Eat Clean book very useful for good food choices.
Anyway, sorry about the novel . . .
I am rooting for you! I hope your Dad comes home soon and your internet gets fixed. I look forward to following your progress!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:09 AM
FitDay Member

@ rshep9101 - I found your post VERY informative! Thanks for putting it out there. I never know what to do and what not to do. You put it in very easy to understand terms. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:01 AM
FitDay Member

Jordyn, still around? Did you get your internet back?
I hope your weight loss journey is still going!
Hugs