Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Any suggestions for low-calorie, high-protein desserts? >

Any suggestions for low-calorie, high-protein desserts?

Notices

Any suggestions for low-calorie, high-protein desserts?

Old 09-03-2010, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

Cool Any suggestions for low-calorie, high-protein desserts?

I always like to end my day with a dessert but I don't want it to be with fruit always because it brings my carbs % up too much and the prot % down.
Any ideas for high-protein desserts?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:29 AM
FitDay Member

hmm, what about sweetening some greek yogurt? You could eat it plain then, or with a little bit of fruit. It has tons of protein!

Maybe even some low fat/non fat ice cream would be ok? Being a dairy product, it will have some protein in it, but buying low fat varieties will keep your fat % from creeping up on you.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:30 AM
FitDay Member

I like ricotta cheese with cinnamon, a few apple slices and a teaspoon of agave nectar or stevia to sweeten. Half a cup of ricotta has about 140 calories and 16g of protein.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:26 PM
FitDay Member

Have you tried making meringues with splenda? I like them flavored with almond!
Old 09-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

I stir half a scoop of chocolate protein powder into some Greek yogurt and dip strawberries or bananas in it. You could stir some chopped almonds in if you don't want the carbs from the fruit.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:16 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!
Cassie what protein powder brand do you use, and coastalcass do you have a recipe for meringues?
Old 09-04-2010, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

I use Optimum Nutrition in the double chocolate flavor, although there are a bunch of flavors (including, I think, cake batter!). I think half a scoop is 60 calories, 12 grams protein, and 1.5 carbs.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

oh, if you're not already having protein shakes, you could make thicker shakes (almost like a milkshake) as dessert. I love 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk, scoop chocolate protein powder, and a banana that I've cut up before hand and put in the freezer. The frozen fruit makes a thick shake. You can even add a TB of peanut butter for some extra flavor and creaminess. I make these and other kinds for breakfast most days and it literally feels like I'm having a milkshake for breakfast!
Old 09-04-2010, 01:22 PM
FitDay Member

These are all great suggestions...I'd also add cottage cheese with a little Splenda and cinnamon. I know it sounds disgusting, but don't knock it until you try it. =)
Old 09-04-2010, 06:54 PM
FitDay Member

Meringues:
2 egg whites
1/4 cup splenda or splenda/powdered sugar mix
1 teaspoon vanilla, lemon, coconut, almond, etc. extract

1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Gradually beat in sugar until a little of the mixture between your thumb and forefinger feels smooth, not gritty. Stir in vanilla or other flavoring. Pipe or spoon small portions onto baking tray and bake 35 minutes, or until dry but not brown. Turn off oven and leave meringues to cool inside.

I love these. My all time favorite. They take some practice to get it right, but its worth it!! Also you can make shapes, like little boats or cups to hold fruit and/or fat free pudding! Try coconut flavored with chocolate pudding or lemon flavored with fresh raspberries! Or just eat them plain. :]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.