Notices

If you're not a big meat eater...

Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 PM
FitDay Member

Default If you're not a big meat eater...

How do you work protein into your diet?

I just signed up with FitDay to try and loose the rest of my baby weight and get back into some semblance of shape. My son is 8 months old and I still look pregnant. I logged all my food yesterday (YIKES) and I definitely need to cut some carbs and work in more protein but I don't really eat that much meat. I only really like chicken. How can I work more protein into my diet? Thanks!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:19 AM
FitDay Member

Hello and welcome! It's great that you're tracking your foods and determined to get healthy.

Here are some healthy non-meat sources of protein:
- Egg whites or Egg Beaters
- Greek yogurt (has a lot more protein than regular yogurt)
- Peanut butter, almond butter, etc.
- Low fat cottage cheese
- Skim milk
- Seafood (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- Veggie/soy products like Boca or Morningstar Farms
- Tofu
- Edamame or soybeans (I buy them either dry roasted to eat as a snack or in the frozen vegetable section to put in salads, wraps, pasta, etc.)
- Almonds
- Protein powder (to mix in smoothies or with milk)

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 AM
FitDay Member

I use all of the above plus I also like these little protein bars called Pure Protein, I like the chocolate deluxe flavor, 180 calories, 20 grams of protein. They are just perfect as a post workout pick-me-up.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:21 AM
FitDay Member

Good information from FLETCH and ALMEEKER;

I also like the Pure Protein bars (I get them at Wal-mart). I like the chocolate chip flavor the best.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Hmm...I might have to try these Pure Protein bars. Do they have a lot of sugar and/or fat?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

They have some fat, but not a ton, 4-6 grams, and 17-19 grams of carbs (depends on the flavor). We buy them at Sam's Club in an 18 count box for like $13-14, so less than a $1 each. I've seen them at other stores for $1.50 each, but since DH and I both like them we buy in bulk.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 AM
FitDay Member

Cool. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:14 AM
FitDay Member

mushrooms are also super high in protein...there's a reason mushrooms usually find their way into a lot of vegetarian dishes. I love to make mushroom quesadillas or using a large mushroom cap as the 'crust' of a pizza (just a touch of sauce, some more veggies, and top with cheese). I almost always add them to my egg scrambles.

If I'm having a salad, I often top with a little lean protein (fish or other seafoods are great) and a handful of beans for some added protein.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:05 PM
FitDay Member

I add canned rinsed beans or chickpeas, canned chicken or tuna, or little frozen (and thawed) cocktail shrimp to my salads to boost protein. Hard boiled eggs and string cheese sticks can boost up a salad too. When I'm grilling chicken sometimes I make one extra to chop up and throw on a salad the next day.