Notices

Upset with myself

Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 PM
FitDay Member

Angry Upset with myself

I managed to get ahead of my weight loss goal in July, just to go and put it on full stop in August. I'm so upset with myself! I know part of the reason my weight loss is on hold is partially due to Ramadan, but I also realize that my mistake in August was too large of portions at meals, and slipping in some flavored milk every day. I may have dropped the cola but I realize I replaced it with another sugar fix. Shame on me! I did my weigh in today for the month of August and the scale didn't change not one bit! Thank God it didn't go up, but I had been so excited when I had seen the scale dropped 8 lbs for the month of July.

I learned a good lesson today...just cause the weight is comming off doesn't give me the excuse to sneak a sweet or two thinking it won't do any harm, and those extra portions don't burn themselves.

Well, it was a definate motivator to work extra hard on this 8 week challenge. Hopefully I can lose before Mondays weigh in. That would be a boost.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:16 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Crimpet,

I know it's easy to beat yourself up when you haven't lost weight and haven't eaten exactly how you should have, but you should be proud of yourself that you didn't gain any weight!!! Being able to relax a little bit and maintain your weight loss is actually a big success that many of us struggle with! I had a rough August as well and ended up gaining 5 lbs. So try to take a minute away from feeling bad to be proud of the weight you lost and how you kept it off for a month. Hopefully that will make you feel a little bit better. =)

Glad to hear that you learned a valuable lesson. I need to learn from you as well. =) It sounds like you're back on track now. Best wishes on your weight loss...let us know how it goes on Monday!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:01 AM
FitDay Member

August was bad for me as well. We went on a 2 week vacation and I was none too dedicated before we left. I've pulled myself back on the wagon, but this morning I lost control and ate pancakes. Okay pancakes wouldn't normally have been all that bad, but I'd already eaten breakfast, and now due to 5 little Mickey Mouse pancakes I'm ahead of my daily intake budget by 400 calories. But all is not lost, I'm planning taco salad for dinner and I think I'll keep lunch to a cup of yogurt and a piece of fresh fruit.

I think like Fletch said, it's far better to stay at the same weight than show a gain. Seriously. Have you taken any measurements? Sometimes you see a drop there when the scale doesn't show a thing. As for the flavored milk, you might try adding protein powder to skim milk.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks both of you I guess I need to be more aware of what I am doing, and not give in to cravings. I know when I usually slip up, I slip up bad! I'm a big fan of double breakfasts too I know I could eat cereal dowsed in sugar all day long and Thank GOD I havn't got the ingredients for pancakes with syrup here in Turkey otherwise I'd be lost

I took measurements today, and not down for this month. Just plan to count my calories better, and watch the sugary foods. I require a high protien diet too, but it's really hard to get protien here (so expensive) and I havn't found protien shakes. Oh how I miss being in the USA when it came to health food
Old 09-01-2010, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

Oh man, pancakes and maple syrup are my favorite food ever.

Don't beat yourself up too badly, Crimpet. The best thing we can do is recognize our mistakes and move past them. Today's another day! It's a whole new day to start fresh and make the right, healthy choices!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:04 AM
FitDay Member

August was horrible... BUT today is September 1st and it will be a complete other story!!
Although weighing every day is for sure useless and wrong, I'm not sure I agree with weighing only once a month. Just because if there is something wrong in your diet, you don't realize until the whole month has passed and you can't fix it sooner.
Maybe once a week or every other week would be better?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:48 AM
FitDay Member

I agree about weighing once a month but I didn't get my new scale till today. I would have to pray that I'd come across one of those coin operated scales here in Turkey, or my husband and I would take a walk to the mall and weigh on theirs. I admit theirs was pretty awesome, and even had a device that measures your height. Now that I have my scale I am planning to weigh every Monday same time same place in my home. This way I can also get a more accurate reading.

Thanks everyone! I feel much better, and I made a huge step on the right path today by walking 5 miles and doing light calisthenics. Yay!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Crimpet
I feel much better, and I made a huge step on the right path today by walking 5 miles and doing light calisthenics. Yay!
You go, girl! Way to get back on track! Keep up the good work!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:41 AM
FitDay Member

I try hard NOT to weigh every morning because it sets up my mood for the rest of the day. If I'm down, then I'm happy, if I am up, then I'm mad. Your weight is going to fluctuate ever day due to water retention. I tell myself not to weigh, but seems I do it anyway. I really need to have my son hide the scale and only bring it out once a week so I won't obsess over my daily gain/loss. Congrats Crimpet on your walking, I need to get back on a exercise regiment. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 AM
FitDay Member

Hey, Crimpet, don't be too hard on yourself about your lack of progress. As some of the others have siad, it's a victory when you simply maintain during a long holiday like Ramadan--all those special meals and foods you get only once a year, being with family and friends to celebrate--it seems like the universe is conspiring to get us to gain weight.

Our fall holidays start next week with Rosh Hashanah and last until the end of September with Succot, and every year it is a real challenge. I finally decided that maintaining my weight and by eating a reasonably diet should be my goal. That way I can enjoy my family and friends and holiday meals without obsessing about my weight (and I'll start being more strict again in October).