Notices

Protein/Fat again - can I ask a question

Old 08-25-2010, 01:55 PM
FitDay Member

Default Protein/Fat again - can I ask a question

Are we suppose to eat more fat or more protein?

I just can't get this straight..............
Old 08-29-2010, 11:56 AM
FitDay Member

If you're not on any special diet then the answer is a balance. i follow the usda pyramid 55-60 carb, 20-30% fat, 15-20% protein...im interested in seeing what others say is working for them.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:19 PM
FitDay Member

I have very low metabolism (had thyroid removed). My doctor has put me on a high protein diet. So I try hard for a 40% protein/ 40% fat/ 20% carbs. I seem to get more fat though. I have lost 15lbs in two months. I also work out 3-4 times a week. Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:40 PM
FitDay Member

Now I am really going to throw a wrench in your question. I aim for 65% fat, 30% protein, and 5% carbohydrate.

You probably won't get a straight answer for you to follow unless you post this question under the specific diet you are trying to stick to.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:22 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks. I am doing Low Carb/Gluten Free. But it seems I always wind up with more fat. Like today 94F% 3C% 4P% with about 1300 calories. Just wasn't hungry today........usually eat around 1500-1700 calories a day.

And this is with drinking a protein powder shake with water only.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:41 PM
FitDay Member

Are you sure your calculations are right, me2forever? It's almost impossible to eat 94% fat (calorie-based %) without eating straight oil or butter all day. Maybe double check that you are looking at the right numbers?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

I check out the pie chart of my daily food log. If it looks roughly divided into three, I'm happy.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:58 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb Takes Fat to burn Fat

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
I check out the pie chart of my daily food log. If it looks roughly divided into three, I'm happy.
me2forever: It takes fat to burn fat - at least that is what I was told. However, not to make a meal out of fat. Make sure the fats are 'good' ones like fish, olive oil, avocados and nuts. Lots of fat in eggs too! That was a surprise for me. I could definitely eat 100% fat in a day if all I ate was Macadamia Nuts.

I think what you need to do is ask your MD or dietician what percentages they know will be best for you.

I try to keep them all balance (like Kathy) and hope for lower fat than the others.

Your body will let you know what you need. Takes practice to listen; I am still working on it.

Good Luck, Carren
Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default An equation for Macronutrients I found on the O2 forum

Hope this helps

For FAT LOSS:
Total Daily Calories = Bodyweight or Lean body mass x 12

• This may need to be dropped to x11 or x10 if no progress after a few weeks
• Obese people can use LBM (lean body mass) instead of BW (body weight). If you want to figure out your LBM, take a look at your BMI. BMI is basically the % of your weight that is fat. Figure out how many pounds that is and subtract it from your BW.
• For a more accurate result, get a fat calliper test, offered at almost any gym.

Macronutrients for a day:
• Protein = 1g per lb LBM/day (4 calories/ gram)

• Protein is important while dieting, especially if you are exercising. You want to maintain your muscle while loosing the fat. If you don’t get enough protein your body will take what it needs from your muscle, reducing your lean body mass, which will lower your metabolism, which in turn will make it even harder to loose weight . . .
• Good choices: chicken & turkey breast, lean cuts of beef, Extra lean ground beef & turkey, tuna, salmon, prawns, egg whites . . . protein bars & powder (but they are expensive)
• Fat = .4-.5g per lb LBM/day (9 calories/ gram)
• yes, you read that right, healthy fats are important for fat loss
• Good choices: fish oil supplements (omega 3), olive oil, natural almonds, avocado . . .
• Carbs = whatever remains to meet your calorie total (4 calories/grams) don’t go much below 100g/day because your brain runs exclusively on carbs, if you go too low you'll get fuzzy, headaches, grumpy, etc.
• Good choices: Whole grains and fresh fruit & veggies. Read labels, and avoid foods containing weird chemicals, added sugars (high fructose corn syrup), and a lot of sodium. High fibre is good
• Highly processes Carbohydrates, the stuff that comes in boxes or bags that have a million unreadable ingredients on the label, should be avoided for the simple fact that they are unhealthy and if you eat them they tend to create cravings for more of the same. They are addictive and nibbles usually turn into bites which turn into eating the whole stinking bag . . . makes it hard to stay on track.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:11 PM
FitDay Member

Default How much protein

I just completed a 12 week Herbalife Weight Loss Challenge link removedand lost 11 lbs. (154.4 to 143.4), reduced my BMI from 23.5 to 21.8, increased muscle from 28.2% to 30.2% and lowered my body fat % to 28.7 from 32.2. The key is protein - up to 100 grams daily in my case. I can't say enough about this program. My goal of getting back to my lean weight of 138-140 strong, healthy pounds on my 5'8" frame is in sight, and I never felt better.

Last edited by VitoVino; 12-16-2011 at 04:46 AM.