Notices

New & in need of a kick start

Old 08-28-2010, 07:40 PM
FitDay Member

Default New & in need of a kick start

Hello everyone.

I am a typical yo yo dieter for want of a better word and have a really good mindset when I get going and LOVE eating healthier, sleep better, self esteem is great. BUT when I have a slight fall, I have no damage limitation and start all over again with the BLOWN IT attitude, it drives me insane.

I am currently back to my heaviest which is 172lbs and ideally I would love to be back to around 140/147 lbs I know I can do this as I was there two years ago and felt fantastic. I started a new job shortly after goal, and have blamed this along with stress for the weight gain again. I need to stop blaming and sort out the triggers for excessive eating, binging on crisps and chocolate as it leads me on a downward spiral. Ive tried to moderate but have come to learn with the help of others that moderation is not always a sensible way to go (despite what others may say), there are certain foods that are best to rid, at least whilst you are learning to live healthier. Im not saying I want to be this squeaky clean person, just eat naturally and have a treat once in a while if eating out or special occasions, not just because its Friday, Saturday, Macdonalds day etc etc etc. I need to learn the word no.

Any ideas as to which threads I can hang around to find motivation to increase my exercise as that was key for me last time and to get my backside into gear to shift this first stone/14lbs at least that will give me some hope. Thanks for reading. I think I am going to calorie count as this seems to make most sense to me, I know which foods work great/fill me, its just a case of keeping the eating interesting with a young family, sure some of you will know how tricky it can be. I'm afraid that my eating habits may rub off on my kids and thats the last thing I want.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:55 AM
FitDay Member

I'm in the 45lbs to lose group and the over 40 group. We have great people there. I also hear the 100lbs or more group is great as well. I don't think it matters which one, everyone here is very supportive and will always give you praise when you need it and support when you need that as well. You are more than welcomed to join the ones I am in or add me as a friend to your homepage friends list. Good luck on your journey and will keep in touch with you.
---------------
Starting weight : 198lbs (6-20-10)
Current weight : 185lbs (8-29-10) gained two in two days Hopefully water lol
Mini goal weight: 175 lbs (8-24-10)
GOAL WEIGHT : 120-130 lbs (12-20-10)

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...ml?Owner=zinal

"Every journey starts with one small step."
Old 08-30-2010, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

Hello and welcome! Thanks for sharing your story. You CAN get healthy and your good habits WILL rub off on your children! You sound like a great mom. =)

For extra motivation to lose those first few pounds, here's one of my favorite sites:

Motivational Quotes

You can click on the quotes you like to see a "translation" as well as the quote with a pretty font and picture. Might be nice to print a few and put them around the house where you might need them!

Best of luck. You can do it!
Old 09-04-2010, 05:43 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks so much for the welcoming posts and information.

Of course I CAN do this but getting those scales to shift the first few pounds is proving somewhat impossible right now, I need to change my plan I think.

Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:19 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome Jasper,

I had to totally stop bringing in or baking cookies and deserts for awhile. My poor hubby and with children it will be harder for you to do so. I had no control when it came to cookies and if I had one to eat it had to be half a dozen. Now I am ok with just eating one or even half of one. BUT I am careful to not get in the habit of it.

My weight loss has been so slow it is almost pathetic. But after a year and 21 pounds I am feeling so much better about myself. There is NOTHING I can not eat. Including french fries and burgers.I just limit what I eat before or after I have had an indulgent meal. Usually a burger is home made from lean meat and most times no bun but onions and mustard.Mushrooms too. We eat very little prepared foods. I do make a home made pizza that is delicious. I try to not use the bad things in it and add lots of the good things like fresh veggies and just enough cheese to know the flavor is there.

I do try to watch my calories. I think I must be much older then you at 61 so I do not need as much to eat as younger folks do.

Just make a start of it and do not beat yourself up for a small slip. Just move on and keep trying.

Maggie
Old 09-07-2010, 06:26 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks so much Karen & Maggie and all.

I feel great today as I have decided to really give this a go, I know what I want and I know that wallowing will not get me there, doing will. Been out for a run/fast walk at 6am and then came back and took the dog out. Nothing over exerting but all the same exercise and better than laying in bed. I have a plan for a short term to see how I can shape up and then take it from there.

Karen, I would love to just be able to eat healthily which I do enjoy, stick veggies with main meals, say NO to the buns at work that seem to be brought in weekly. Pass the vending machine and say NO when those cravings kick in. I would like to be able to have a treat say on a Saturday evening with my fav TV program and not feel guilty or disgusting. Its the fact I do it so often that I feel so bad. I LOVE walking to my music and slow jogging. I love the open air and although I have a cross trainer at home, it bores me stupid, must be looking at the same 4 walls, or is that just another excuse I wonder.

I LOVE swimming and am planning on returning. When I was really fit two years ago, I just changed my habits and exercised more. What changed then when I returned to full time work sat at a desk all day. I piled over 24 lbs (2 stone) back on. Why?. Who knows.

Thanks I feel tons better just reading your replies.

Maggie

Well done on your weight loss, I think thats fab and steady and should stay off. Im 40 next and I can notice the difference so much in my body but Im determined not to use that as an excuse for failure.