Notices

self sabotage

Old 01-18-2010, 12:59 PM
FitDay Member

Question self sabotage

Hi everyone,
I'm hoping someone else might have gone through the old self sabotage thing. I have about 20 lb to lose, and have spent most of my adult life either losing it or gaining it back. Crazy as it sounds, I will find a weight loss method that works for me, and for some unexplicable reason, I will either give up or sabotage myself and end up gaining back anything that I lost and feeling even worse that I did to start with. Not sure why I keep doing this since logically, if I can recognize it, I should be able to fix it. I have a great supportive husband that has accepted me through every weight, a great family, a great job and lots of supportive friends. What is my problem???
Karin
Old 01-18-2010, 11:54 PM
FitDay Member

Hi. I can relate. I don't know if this is true for you, but sometimes the pain and distraction of overeating and sabotaging our own goals is easier to deal with than painful underlying issues that might be unconsciously motivating us to do it! Maybe keep a journal and keep track of your moods and thoughts when you start to stray! Also, each pound is put on one bite at a time, so I think fitday can help with staying on instead of straying off track!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:31 PM
FitDay Member

Maybe it has to do with whether you want it bad enough? Everyone has reasons why they overeat.....but it comes down to choice and will. If you aren't hungry, you can still choose to put that food into your mouth or not. I dont ever say "I can't eat such and such." I say "I choose not to eat such and such." YOU are in control. YOU get to decide. And if you want to slim down, then YOU will decide how often to put something in your mouth when you're not hungry.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:28 AM
FitDay Member

I know where you are coming from. I had lost 60 lbs, was Very close (within 5lbs) to my goal and then let it all go. Started "coasting" and gained 30lbs back. Talk about Frustrating!! Now I am on my way back toward goal. I have been reading Tom Venuto's The Body Fat Solution and the first section of the book (about 108 pages) talks about getting over our mental/emotional hurdles. Then it moves on to nutrition & exercise. This book is Really helping me to change my way of thinking. Maybe you can find it in your local Library?
Hope this helps.