Notices

Suggestions on any good accurate scales?

Old 08-20-2010, 10:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default Suggestions on any good accurate scales?

I need to buy an accurate scale because I don't have one. And also the one at the gym is way off and really old. Does anyone have any suggestions on any good scales?

Thanks
Old 08-20-2010, 10:35 AM
FitDay Member

I use a taylor glass scale, it was the most expensive one at the store, but I'm pretty disappointed with it. The bodyfat readings are way off, and it fluctuates too much. If you weigh yourself 10 times you will only get the same number 6/10 times. I think this is a common problem with most bathroom scales anyways, because high quality scales like that at the doctors office or ones used for weigh-ins (wrestling, boxing, mma) are hundreds of dollars. So don't go out and spend too much on a really fancy one with all the bells and whistles, just get a digital scale that takes your wait, get a cloth tape measure. The tape measure will truly tell you if you are losing fat. You could also have your doctor or gym staff test your body fat % and then take another reading in a few weeks or months.

Last edited by midwestj; 08-20-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lillyeve1
I need to buy an accurate scale because I don't have one. And also the one at the gym is way off and really old. Does anyone have any suggestions on any good scales?

Thanks
I have had the same problem with bathroom scales. Even an analog one that is properly zeroed will read differently depending on how well your weight is centered on the pad. I now use an industrial scale at work that was intended for measuring gas bottles. I can weigh myself ten times, and it will be the same every single time. It reads in half pound increments. If you do a google search for "gas bottle scale" you can find one like this, but be prepared to spend upwards of $500. Otherwise, just do as someone else suggested and take an average of your weight readings on a crappy scale and give more credence to the tape measurements.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:00 AM
FitDay Member

The key to all this is try not to move your scales ,I prefer digital, and use only those dont be tempted to jump on others they will most definitely be different
Pam
Old 08-23-2010, 06:30 AM
FitDay Member

I've been using this one-
Walmart.com: Health o meter Oil Rubbed Chrome and Silver Scale: Home Medical
Seems to be accurate, more so than the non digital one I was using previously.

Last edited by sw07; 08-23-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:34 PM
FitDay Member

I also use a Health o Meter digital from Wal-mart. I am very happy with it and it seems to have good repeatablility. I looked on the Wal-mart web site but I don't see my model.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:54 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Scales with Body Fat, etc.

My old reliable Pelouze 400 lb digital packing scale is great, but I've been thinking about how I'm going to "keep score" once weight isn't the answer any more.

The thought came to mind that tracking body fat/muscle mass might be a good way. I know these consumer level devices are not particularly accurate, but if they can at least give a consistent, repeatable reading I'd be happy.

Any recommendations?

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-08-2011, 05:54 AM
FitDay Member

I've had problems measuring body fat. Take 2 different machines, get 2 different answers. Use an online calculator, get a different answer again. My % ranges from 18 - 28%.

Trouble is, there isn't a totally reliable method short of autopsy, which I presume isn't on your agenda!

Therefore, pick a method and stick to it. I've more or less given up on the idea and will do the old fashioned methods of scales, mirror and trousers.

There is one method I've been told about, however, that does seem to get the most accurate results:- Hydrostatic weighing. It involves weighing you dry and then weighing you totally submerged in water. Don't ask me how it works, but apparently it does. Have a Google and see if it exists in your locale. Personally, I'm not going to bother with it.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Geoffers
I've had problems measuring body fat. Take 2 different machines, get 2 different answers. Use an online calculator, get a different answer again. My % ranges from 18 - 28%.

Trouble is, there isn't a totally reliable method short of autopsy, which I presume isn't on your agenda!

Therefore, pick a method and stick to it. I've more or less given up on the idea and will do the old fashioned methods of scales, mirror and trousers.

There is one method I've been told about, however, that does seem to get the most accurate results:- Hydrostatic weighing. It involves weighing you dry and then weighing you totally submerged in water. Don't ask me how it works, but apparently it does. Have a Google and see if it exists in your locale. Personally, I'm not going to bother with it.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Truthfully, I'm not that hung up on having an exactly correct number--I just want something that is consistent, even if it's off as long as it's off consistently, if you get my drift.

If I lose more fat and somehow manage to gain a little muscle, I want the device to tell me. I find that I do much better if I have some concrete way to "keep score". While losing weight, of course the scale is easy. Once it comes time to maintain and work strictly on overall "fitness" that's where I foresee trouble.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Michael, I found this to be helpful. Once I got to my goal weight, I knew I needed goals to help keep me motivated, so I changed to a body fat goal.

I have a Tanita scale that measures body fat and I know that any scale's accuracy is not altogether excellent, but, as you said, watching the change rather than considering the absolute number was very helpful for me. When I started, I was at about 27% body fat; now it's 19%. Whether or not it's actually 19% is anyone's guess, but I know it's a lot lower than it was before. It's been to 17, 18%, so my goal is to get back to that. My percentage never varies more than 1%, unlike Geoffers (unless there's a lot of water weight; see below).

I also find it very helpful to use the body fat percentage number to not freak out about water weight gain. For example, if I get on the scale and I'm up a pound or two, but the BF percentage is at, like 15, then I know it's water weight.

I'm toying with the idea of doing hydrostatic weighing just to see how close the result is to my scale, though there hasn't been an easy place to get it done as of yet.

You are doing awesome, my friend...keep up the great work; you are inspirational to many .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.