Notices

I am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to stick to my plan..

Old 08-19-2010, 05:22 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy I am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to stick to my plan..

Okay, so I'm 16 and I've been through a lot of up and downs with my weight. I've always been having problems with depressiong and being insecure...in middle school I remember losing 20 pounds and I was really thin, but healthy at like 115 lbs...then I gained 15 pounds, then lost a few, then gained more, lost a lot, gained a lot...its been up and down and it seems like every time I lose weight, I gain it back plus MORE. So now, I'm 5 foot 4 inches, and about 168 lbs, and I feel totally horrible about myself. I know how to work out, I know exactly what to and what not to eat. I have the right tools and the support, I just don't have the motivation to acctually stick to it. I've been on track for a week, then yesterday it started with one "bad" meal, and turned into an off track two days, and now I feel like that whole week when I did well was wasted. I just feel like I mentally can't do it. I mean, I want it more than anything, but I feel like I love food too much. Does anyone have any motivation or personal stories that they can share? Because I just need something to get me going...
I'm 168 now, and I'd like to be 140 possibly...it just sounds so good on paper, but sometimes I think maybe I'm destined to be/feel fat forever.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by mia21594; 08-19-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:32 AM
FitDay Member

Mia,

What is your plan? What are you eating? What kinds of physical exercise are you doing? What kind of support do you have?

I was in the same boat when I was 16. Actually from about 7 to 31 years of age I was in the same boat. I never could keep the weight off. I might be able to give your some guidance if you give me more information on what changes you are trying to make.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by CoeyCoey
Mia,

What is your plan? What are you eating? What kinds of physical exercise are you doing? What kind of support do you have?

I was in the same boat when I was 16. Actually from about 7 to 31 years of age I was in the same boat. I never could keep the weight off. I might be able to give your some guidance if you give me more information on what changes you are trying to make.

Well my plan is pretty much working out about 40 minutes a day..working out has always been something easy for me that I acctually enjoy and am consistant with.

here's rougly what i would eat in a typical day- I'm picky, so I don't like everything, but here it is anyway:

Breakfast: either oatmeal or cheerios with milk

lunch: fruit of some sort (usually melon or berries), scrambled egg whites, whole wheat bagel with weight watchers cream cheese. I usually have a pretty light lunch..if thats good or bad...

dinner: whatever my mom is cooking...she's always watching her weight, so its usually very healthy...whole grains, vegetables...good stuff.

The support I have is just my mom usually. I mean, she's not like my counselor or anything that talks to me about it, but she understands what I'm trying to do because usually she is trying to do the same and she helps me avoid bad food choices. None of my friends really know I have the problem that I have so they don't really have any idea that I've ever been so insecure about myself.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default Nobody is "destined to be fat forever"

Originally Posted by mia21594
Okay, so I'm 16 and I've been through a lot of up and downs with my weight. I've always been having problems with depressiong and being insecure...in middle school I remember losing 20 pounds and I was really thin, but healthy at like 115 lbs...then I gained 15 pounds, then lost a few, then gained more, lost a lot, gained a lot...its been up and down and it seems like every time I lose weight, I gain it back plus MORE. So now, I'm 5 foot 4 inches, and about 168 lbs, and I feel totally horrible about myself. I know how to work out, I know exactly what to and what not to eat. I have the right tools and the support, I just don't have the motivation to acctually stick to it. I've been on track for a week, then yesterday it started with one "bad" meal, and turned into an off track two days, and now I feel like that whole week when I did well was wasted. I just feel like I mentally can't do it. I mean, I want it more than anything, but I feel like I love food too much. Does anyone have any motivation or personal stories that they can share? Because I just need something to get me going...
I'm 168 now, and I'd like to be 140 possibly...it just sounds so good on paper, but sometimes I think maybe I'm destined to be/feel fat forever.

thanks in advance.

P.S. Disregard my signiture..that was from about two months ago..
First of all, let me say that nobody is "destined to be fat forever."

In terms of finding the motivation, you have already done two things right: You created a Fitday account and you participate in discussions.

Whatever eating and exercise plan you are following, above all else be sure to be honest with your food and exercise journals. For me, this has been the biggest motivational factor of all. There have been lots of times when I have been tempted to leave something off (like creamer in my coffee or a handful of some snack that I grabbed) just to make the numbers look better, but I have come to realize that I am not fooling anyone but myself when I do that. Also, realize that you can add and erase things to your food journal to see how they fit in your nutrition plan. If you try to follow the practice of entering every food in your journal before you eat it, that makes you accountable to that journal and helps eliminate those accidental slips.

With respect to exercise, I know how hard it can be to find that motivation. There are several things you can do about that. If you don't already have one, invest in a pedometer. When you have a pedometer, you can set an increasing goal for number of steps every day, and that way the exercise is spread out throughout the day and it doesn't require the protracted effort of one exercise session. Otherwise, even on days that you don't have the motivation to do "real" exercise, at least try to go for a low impact walk or bike ride. I find that getting out in the fresh air is often hard to initiate, but rewarding once I am out there.

Another thing that has helped me is that my fiancee and our roommate are also on similar eating plans to my own. We all suffer from similar cravings and moments of weakness. If you don't have a friend or family member that is doing this with you, try to recruit someone else to buddy up with.

Finally, when you do have a weak moment, don't let that ruin your whole day. If you have a whole day of weakness, don't let that ruin your whole week. I try to look at each day and even each meal as an individual challenge. If I have a day when I went over on one of my macronutrients, that doesn't mean that the next day has to follow suit. Unlike other things in life, a diet is something you can get right back on track with no matter how many times you fall short of your goals.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:05 AM
FitDay Member

When I was young the only thing that could keep me motivated in continuing my weight loss battle was going to a dietitian. He would weigh me every week and write my menu for the following week. I found this very helpful, maybe you could try this.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:34 AM
FitDay Member

Well my plan is pretty much working out about 40 minutes a day..working out has always been something easy for me that I acctually enjoy and am consistant with.

here's rougly what i would eat in a typical day- I'm picky, so I don't like everything, but here it is anyway:

Breakfast: either oatmeal or cheerios with milk

lunch: fruit of some sort (usually melon or berries), scrambled egg whites, whole wheat bagel with weight watchers cream cheese. I usually have a pretty light lunch..if thats good or bad...

dinner: whatever my mom is cooking...she's always watching her weight, so its usually very healthy...whole grains, vegetables...good stuff.

The support I have is just my mom usually. I mean, she's not like my counselor or anything that talks to me about it, but she understands what I'm trying to do because usually she is trying to do the same and she helps me avoid bad food choices. None of my friends really know I have the problem that I have so they don't really have any idea that I've ever been so insecure about myself.
Hi Mia,

If you are working out 40 minutes a day, you are WAY ahead of 99% of most people. That is awesome that you are not only consistent, but you enjoy it too!

So, exercise if not the issue. Lets look at what you are consuming. In the example you gave me you have some very good things and some not so good things. First off, try to cut out dairy. Dairy is made to add weight and grow a calve into an adolescent. Dairy has hormones that help a calve put on hundreds of pounds. Even if you get "hormone free" milk, it still has the cows natural hormones. It just means that hormones haven't been added.

Dairy also has shown to cause many health problems ranging from asthma to osteoporosis. I know what you are thinking. Milk for strong bones, right? Well, that is marketing propaganda. Countries with the highest rates of dairy consumption also have the highest rates of osteoporosis. A very good book that goes into detail about dairy and disease is called "The China Study". It is the largest study on nutrition ever conducted and is a wealth of information. It dispels many of the common myths about food.

Cheerios and bagels may seem like healthy foods, but they are highly refined carbs. They are very low in micronutrients and will cause your blood sugar to spike causing you to crave more food later. I know that you have been told a whole wheat bagel is more healthy, which is true, but be careful when listening to people about "relative health" of foods. For example, people say Olive Oil is healthier than other oils, but it is in no way "healthy". It is 100% fat and has almost no nutritional value other than the calories from fat. You are much better off eating the olive!

Egg whites are better than the yolk for sure. But they have no taste and not a lot of vitamins and minerals. For about the same calories as two egg whites, you could have an apple and get way more nutrients.

You said your mom cooks whole grains? Is she baking products or are you actually eating things like barley and brown rice? Whole grain bread or cereal, for a example, is simply refined carbs from whole grains so it might have more nutritional value than white bread, but is nowhere near as good as the grain itself.

Fruits and vegetables are always best. Fresh is most nutritious with steamed as the best way to cook them. Boiling them causes a lot of their nutritional value to be leached out. Stir frying with water instead of oil is also a good option. Eat fruits and vegetables all day long. Don't let yourself feel hungry. Just grab some fruit or veggies to give your body the micronutrients it is likely craving. Trying eating smaller meals and more midmeal snacks of fruit and vegetables. This will keep your metabolism higher and you will be less likely to overeat the higher calorie grains at meals.

Lastly, make any changes something you plan to do for life. Fad diets don't work. Lifestyle change is the only way to maintain a healthy weight. Be part of the meal making decisions in your home and make sure your mom understands your goals. Don't get discouraged if you slip up. It happens to everyone. Just keep going and eventually your new lifestyle habits become natural and you won't have to put in any effort.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:41 AM
FitDay Member

thanks in advance.
Hi Mia
You're not destined to be fat forever, you just need to like yourself a bit more! The support of your mum is invaluable Someone once said to me that thin people eat chips and chocolate too - so build into your day something you really like. At 16 your weight will respond really quickly if you get your diet and exercise into balance, but you should not let yourself feel deprived. If you can't build something in without losing control, let your mum do it for you. Weigh and measure yourself and write it down - use your Fitday account - you'd be surprised how much your shape can change even if your weight doesn't. Write down all the positives of losing that weight, and set yourself little goals - remember, the journey of a thousand miles starts with one step - Your example eating plan seems a bit light on protein as well. Eat five or six small meals if you can - that way you are eating every two or three hours, make sure you enjoy what you eat otherwise you will feel deprived. Notice the little changes each week - maybe your skin is better, or you have more energy, or your pants fit a little better. Make sure you drink plenty of water. I try for four litres a day. I have a one litre bottle and I pace myself - one before I go to work, another one by lunchtime, another by teatime and another by the time I go to bed. If I don't manage to drink a whole on in one section of the day, I don't worry about it, I just fill it up and start right on with the next section. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:49 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by elljak
Hi Mia
You're not destined to be fat forever, you just need to like yourself a bit more! The support of your mum is invaluable Someone once said to me that thin people eat chips and chocolate too - so build into your day something you really like. At 16 your weight will respond really quickly if you get your diet and exercise into balance, but you should not let yourself feel deprived. If you can't build something in without losing control, let your mum do it for you. Weigh and measure yourself and write it down - use your Fitday account - you'd be surprised how much your shape can change even if your weight doesn't. Write down all the positives of losing that weight, and set yourself little goals - remember, the journey of a thousand miles starts with one step - Your example eating plan seems a bit light on protein as well. Eat five or six small meals if you can - that way you are eating every two or three hours, make sure you enjoy what you eat otherwise you will feel deprived. Notice the little changes each week - maybe your skin is better, or you have more energy, or your pants fit a little better. Make sure you drink plenty of water. I try for four litres a day. I have a one litre bottle and I pace myself - one before I go to work, another one by lunchtime, another by teatime and another by the time I go to bed. If I don't manage to drink a whole on in one section of the day, I don't worry about it, I just fill it up and start right on with the next section. Good luck!
P.S There is no such thing as a "bad meal" - If you made a choice you think was unwise - log it into your Fitday account, and see if you can pull some of it back with the other meals in the day. If you can't pull it back, don't beat yourself up about it!! - even the best bodybuilders in the world have a blow out once in a while!! Just think that you enjoyed it while it lasted and now is the time to get back on track.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:08 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by CoeyCoey
For example, people say Olive Oil is healthier than other oils, but it is in no way "healthy". It is 100% fat and has almost no nutritional value other than the calories from fat. You are much better off eating the olive!

Egg whites are better than the yolk for sure. But they have no taste and not a lot of vitamins and minerals. For about the same calories as two egg whites, you could have an apple and get way more nutrients.
While I agree with most of CoeyCoey's post I must take exception with the two quoted above.

Fat is an essential nutrient, necessary for nervous system function and nutrient transport. While trans-fats have been linked to health problem, mono-unsaturated (which olive oil is), poly-unsaturated and even saturated fats should be a healthy part of your diet. Be aware that fat has approximately 9 calories per gram so a little goes a long way. Fat has also been shown in studies to have a satiating effect on hunger. I have a theory (no scientific evidence) that many people struggle with dieting because they buy into the popular no-fat/low-fat hype. They don't get enough fat in their diet and so their hunger is never satiated.

Comparing eggs to apples is just rhetoric. A 3" apple has 95 calories, 25g of carbs (including 19g of sugar and 4g of fiber). 3 large egg whites have 99 calories, and 12g of protein. Apples are all carbs, eggs are all protein. Adequate protein is a necessary part of a successful diet. Protein helps your body maintain muscle that you would otherwise catabolize while dieting. Protein is the only nutrient that can build and repair muscle. Muscle is the furnace of your metabolism so the more you have the more calories you burn even at rest.

Count your calories, balance your carbohydrate, protein and fat intake and continue to exercise. Make it a lifestyle instead of just a diet and you can be fit and healthy for the rest of your life. Good luck!!
Old 08-19-2010, 11:10 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
While I agree with most of CoeyCoey's post I must take exception with the two quoted above.

Fat is an essential nutrient, necessary for nervous system function and nutrient transport. While trans-fats have been linked to health problem, mono-unsaturated (which olive oil is), poly-unsaturated and even saturated fats should be a healthy part of your diet. Be aware that fat has approximately 9 calories per gram so a little goes a long way. Fat has also been shown in studies to have a satiating effect on hunger. I have a theory (no scientific evidence) that many people struggle with dieting because they buy into the popular no-fat/low-fat hype. They don't get enough fat in their diet and so their hunger is never satiated.

Comparing eggs to apples is just rhetoric. A 3" apple has 95 calories, 25g of carbs (including 19g of sugar and 4g of fiber). 3 large egg whites have 99 calories, and 12g of protein. Apples are all carbs, eggs are all protein. Adequate protein is a necessary part of a successful diet. Protein helps your body maintain muscle that you would otherwise catabolize while dieting. Protein is the only nutrient that can build and repair muscle. Muscle is the furnace of your metabolism so the more you have the more calories you burn even at rest.

Count your calories, balance your carbohydrate, protein and fat intake and continue to exercise. Make it a lifestyle instead of just a diet and you can be fit and healthy for the rest of your life. Good luck!!
Agreed! We can't suggest a 16-year old to eat only fruit and veggies! Watch what you eat and exercise and you'll be fantastic in no time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.