Notices

how many grams of protein do you eat per day?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:26 PM
FitDay Member

Default how many grams of protein do you eat per day?

there are so many different research articles about how much protein one should eat overall or per kg or body weight....some say it depends on your activity; others say it depends on your goal and others say most women need like 50-60g total. There has been research that support that claim that too much protein is bad for the liver...does anyone know how many grams of protein you're suppose to eat? have you perhaps came across an article that indicates this amount is best vs. higher amounts? how many grams of protein do you eat on an average and what's your fitness goal?

I usually average 90g/day; from various source: lentils;protein shake; nuts and my fitness goal is leaning out. My macronutrient breakdown or goal is C55-60/F20-25/20-30

what is yours?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:28 PM
FitDay Member

I always have a tough time getting enough protein without ending up with too much fat too!

How do you eat your lentils?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:00 AM
FitDay Member

I am getting about 112g of protein a day. That is about .6g per pound of lean body weight for me (I would like it to be a little higher like .75g). Most of the articles I read talk about getting .5 to 1.0g per pound of lean body weight. I have read of study where participants took in up to 1.5g/pound of LBW with no detrimental health effects. If you are lifting weights, trying to build strength or mass, or if you are doing lots of cardio you should try to stay closer to 1g/LBW as this will help you preserve the muscle your body will other wise catabolize while maintaining a calorie deficit.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:26 AM
FitDay Member

Ron, exactly HOW do you get all that protein? What do you eat?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by DecemberBlue
there are so many different research articles about how much protein one should eat overall or per kg or body weight....some say it depends on your activity; others say it depends on your goal and others say most women need like 50-60g total. There has been research that support that claim that too much protein is bad for the liver...does anyone know how many grams of protein you're suppose to eat? have you perhaps came across an article that indicates this amount is best vs. higher amounts? how many grams of protein do you eat on an average and what's your fitness goal?

I usually average 90g/day; from various source: lentils;protein shake; nuts and my fitness goal is leaning out. My macronutrient breakdown or goal is C55-60/F20-25/20-30

what is yours?
I try to get 120-160g/day of protein, and keep my protein % at about 30. On days in which I am below 30% protein, I use ON whey powder. It is a good source of lean protein without adding much in the way of calories. One serving of ON whey powder has 23g of protein, 1g of fat, and 110 calories.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:18 AM
FitDay Member

Woman here and protein is a struggle everyday. I try for 67% but seem to get alot of unwanted fat too........go figure.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Floatalicious
Ron, exactly HOW do you get all that protein? What do you eat?
Eggs and meat mostly. I drink protein shakes occasionally. You can view my food log by following the link in my signature.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 AM
FitDay Member

I consume on average 10% of my daily calories in protein or about 63g a day (.84g/kg) when I am moderately active, and when I become very active, I see it go up to about 110g. The increase is mostly because I have trouble betting enough calories from fruits and vegetables when I am very active. I either eat 20 bananas a day, or I throw in some beans, lentils, nuts, etc.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:44 AM
FitDay Member

A few months ago my trainer did a break down of what I should try to aim for nutritionally and he wanted me to consume 120 grams of protein a day.

It's pretty hard for me... I've started making protein shakes , cottage cheese etc. I rarely hit my grams goal, but I'm trying!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:37 PM
FitDay Member

I am 134 lbs and I get 170g - 180g of protein per day. Its not hard to get and my fat is below 20g along with carbs.

I eat lots of lean meats - protein is the staple of my meals.
Chicken Breast
Turkey
Egg Whites (only)

Thats 7 meals a day at about 25g of protein each meal and Its not all that much food. so thats 4oz of chicken, or 7 egg whites, or 3 oz of turkey, or a protein shake, or 1 cup of cottage cheese (fat free), and three days a week I have 4oz of Beef flank. (on lifting days)

weigh it out - 4oz is not a whole lot.

oh and my calories are at about 1000 to 1200 a day

My goal - to lean up (lose fat without losing any muscle mass) so I have about 10 lbs of fat to lose.

Last edited by DiannaMiljour; 08-21-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.