Notices

What am I doing wrong?

Old 01-25-2010, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default What am I doing wrong?

I have started a regimen and entering my 5th week. I dropped my caloric intake to about 1400/day on average. I spend 30-40 minutes each morning working out. Initially I lost 7 pounds, but I keep bouncing with 2 pounds now. I will lose it and then 2 days later it is back. I switched from "white foods" to wheat (including pasta). I eat a breakfast of 2 eggs, 2 slices of whole wheat toast and 8oz of 1% milk. I drink 3 cups of black coffee. I have a banana at about 9:00am and then a lunch of about 400 calories. I drink 2 16.9oz bottles of 5 calorie Crystal Light throughout the day. About 3pm I have an apple. Dinner is restricted to 600 calories or less. A small snack around 9 pm of either light popcorn or a handful of almonds or an orange. I drink 12 oz of 1% milk with dinner. I usually have water or another Crystal light with snack.

My wife is following the same routine, except she eats salad for lunch(no dressing) and she has lost maybe 3 pounds. Neither one of us can figure out why we aren't losing anything. We are both getting frustrated at not seeing results. Any ideas or tips appreciated!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:59 AM
FitDay Member

A little hard to comment without you stating the vital statistics: Age, height, weight. What kind of workout do you do? What is your BMR?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:08 AM
FitDay Member

Hi,
As grumpyphil says, a little difficult to know exactly what to say without knowing more. is your profile public on here.. I haven't checked.

However, on the face of things, I'd switch the lunch and dinner around.. So you eat the bigger meal midday and the lighter meal at night. I also don't have any carbs with my evening meal. Lots of veg and my measure of meat but no pasta, potatoes etc. or yoghurt or fruit (high in sugar). If I get hungry after my dinner than I'll have a handful of nuts, cottage cheese and a bit of green salad or a protein shake. (depends on what training I'm doing - naff all at the moment but that changes on 1st Feb!)

I take it you put your meals in fitday.. have a look at the %ages of carbs, protein and fats. I've found that on the main, people seem to eat too much in the way of carbs and not enough protein. The %ages that seem to work best are 40 protein/40 carbs/20 fats (of which very little should be sat fats.
You need protein with each meal, including snacks.

let me know how you get on or give some more info and maybe my reply might be a bit more useful for you
Old 01-26-2010, 12:44 AM
FitDay Member

Well, I am 46, 6' 0" 212lbs. Looking to reach 165lbs. My BMR is 29. My percentages are 48% carb, 21% fat, 21% protein. My workout is cardio and weights. I do about 45 minutes in the morning, first thing. Then I eat and continue on with my day. Yes, my profile is public.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:01 PM
FitDay Member

Well you first posted a 30-40 minute workout then about 45 minutes. That is a combined weightlifting and cardio. So what exactly are you doing for cardio and for how long? What are you doing for weightlifting. I would say you would need a full 30-40 minutes of cardio alone a day for faster results. 6 foot 165 is going to be real hard to meet without a lot of cardio.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:27 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah, I had to time myself to see exactly how long my workout was. I am currently working out to Jillian Micheal's video from the Biggest Loser. It's pretty intense, at least for me. I also walk a mile after I eat my lunch. Should I also be doing something in the evening to keep things elevated, or would that be too much?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:37 AM
FitDay Member

[QUOTE=haarvik;1752] I dropped my caloric intake to about 1400/day on average. QUOTE]

Your body could be going into "starvation mode" and storing the food you eat.

I was eating 1400 calories a day and not losing weight. Fitday said I should be eating 2800 calories a day (under "weight goal" section)

I am sticking to 2000 calories a day and have lost 32 pounds since 1/3

The problem actually could be your not eating enough.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 PM
FitDay Member

Never really thought about that. It makes sense though. I am entering my 6th week, so maybe I need to rething my caloric intake.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:05 AM
FitDay Member

Default miceli250-32lbs.That's amazing!

Congratulations!
Maybe you could answer a question for me. Or anyone here can. I'm 6'1" 235lbs. I want to get to 195lbs. An online test that I took says that I should be getting roughly 2600 calories a day to reach that goal without exercise. Now my FitDay average for the last month has me at about 1865 calories a day, and I work out 3-4 times a week doing cardio, shooting hoops, and weights. In theory, weight should be falling off me and it's not, and I don't know why. I also don't understand the "calories burned" vs. "calories eaten". I guess that's two questions. Sorry. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Oh, also if this is helpful, my ratios of carb/fats/protein are 44/33/22. I just turned 48.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2010, 09:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Iamaman
Congratulations!
Maybe you could answer a question for me. Or anyone here can. I'm 6'1" 235lbs. I want to get to 195lbs. An online test that I took says that I should be getting roughly 2600 calories a day to reach that goal without exercise. Now my FitDay average for the last month has me at about 1865 calories a day, and I work out 3-4 times a week doing cardio, shooting hoops, and weights. In theory, weight should be falling off me and it's not, and I don't know why. I also don't understand the "calories burned" vs. "calories eaten". I guess that's two questions. Sorry. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Oh, also if this is helpful, my ratios of carb/fats/protein are 44/33/22. I just turned 48.

Thanks
Have you tried measurement? (Your waist etc.)
You might be building muscles and burn fat. (Muscles weigh more than fat, after all)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.