View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
elderwanda
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoeyCoey View Post
Do you consume dairy at all? If so, you might want to research dairy and asthma. I am not asthmatic, but I even noticed easier breathing and less congestion when I quit dairy.

And I feel obligated to advise you of what the American Heart Association says about high protein diets.

High-Protein Diets

I'm not seeing anywhere in this article where they define what "high protein" means. I've changed my diet recently, and am now eating much, much more protein than I ever did. A typical day's diet for me used to contain about 25 grams of protein. Now, I'm going out of my way to consume about 100 grams per day (which is about a gram per pound of lean body weight). That's because I'm trying to gain muscle. Realistically, while cutting calories, I know I can't expect to gain much muscle, but I absolutely don't want to lose any.

My daily protein comes mostly from fish, lean chicken, and low-fat cottage cheese. My daily percentage of fat is usually about 30%. Rarely as high as 35. My carbs and protein are generally more like 25% and 35%, respectively.

When they say that the average American eats more protein than they need, they again do not define what that means. First of all, they don't say how much protein the "average American" eats, in terms of grams per lean body weight. Second of all, they still haven't told us how much is too much and how much is too little. When they say that people eat more protein than they need, does that mean than they need in order to not suffer from a protein deficiency? Or that they need to not have health problems due to an excess of protein?

I have no clue what the average American eats. The stereotype is the paunchy American with a big greasy hamburger and super-sized fries, but I personally don't know too many people who eat like that on a regular basis. Most people I know who are prone to overeating are much more likely to have too many doughnuts than too much meat. The article tells us nothing about the people who were studied to determine what the "average American" eats. How many people were there? Were they polled at a shopping mall on their way to the food court?

What they do tell us is that many high protein foods contain a lot of saturated fat, and that that is bad for you. Okay, fine. But since this article is about the dangers of too much protein, I would expect to see information from a study about protein intake, in isolation from a too-high fat intake. In other words, how much fish is too much? How much lean chicken is too much? When people start having ill effects like ketosis (whatever that is), how much protein per body weight have they been eating? Does it make a difference whether the person is a little old lady doing her needlepoint or a heavyweight boxer? The article doesn't seem to tell us any of that.

I have no opinions about whether a high protein diet is good or bad for any particular individual. At this point, I don't even know what the definition of "high protein diet" is. I just think that article, like so many, needs to be read with a critical eye.

I also think that it's good for people to listen to their own bodies, and pay attention to how they feel. We all need a variety of foods, but what is the perfect diet for one person might not be ideal for another.

Evelyn

Starting weight: 157 lbs.-- June 23, 2010
Current weight: 149 lbs.
Mini-goal: 136 lbs.-- November 1, 2010
Target weight: 120 lbs.-- February 21, 2011
elderwanda is offline   Reply With Quote