View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
davej323
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsabino View Post
I have a question you may be able to reply to...
So I'm trying to do a low carb diet watching my calories. So, the percent fat has to be 65% because otherwise you eat too much protein, which can be converted to sugar, correct? But what if I eat 45% fat, BUT my proteins don't exceed 80 grams (since I'm eating low-calorie)? 80 grams is not too much protein in 1 day, but still my ratio is screwed up compared to Atkins.
What do you think?!?! I only wish Atkins was alive...

Thanks!
If you are following a calorie restriction plan, chances are that you are not following Atkins anyway. My understanding is that gluconeogenesis (the process by which the body creates glucose from non-carbohydrate sources, such as protein) will only occur to a level sufficient to meet the body's requirements (i.e. maintain blood glucose level). Any excess after that will be stored in the organs and muscles as amino acid. I am probably oversimplifying it, and I invite anyone who knows better to correct me. I have seen it mentioned several places that a person on a ketogenic diet can safely consume one gram of protein for every pound of body weight. With that in mind, you are probably very safe at 80g.

Dave

Male, 6'0" tall, 37 y/o

Starting weight, 4/19/10 (started Atkins) = 287
6/16/10 (finished Atkins book & joined Fitday) = 261
latest weight 8/03/10 = 244.5
mini goal (wedding) 9/4/10 = 235
ultimate goal for lifetime maintenance by 4/19/11 (one year mark, 100 pounds loss) = 187
This will be my lightest weight since high school!
davej323 is offline   Reply With Quote