NEWBIE! I need help!!!

Community
Notices

NEWBIE! I need help!!!

Old 08-17-2010, 02:23 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy NEWBIE! I need help!!!

Hi there,

I'm new to Fitday (well, I joined a long time ago, but never really participated/used the program!) The long & short of it - I'm a working Mom of 2 - managed to lose all my baby weight and then some last year after my second baby. I was down to my lowest weight ever as an adult ... and this past year (since I've returned to work, etc.), I've managed to gain back 30 lbs. I'm so depressed! I've been battling chronic health problems (severe migraines, shoulder problems) - I used to get to the gym 5+ times a week and now I'm lucky if I get there once or twice...

SO - I'm going to really try and log in here every day - hopefully get my ass in gear and head to the gym or do SOME exercise every day (providing no migraines!) I think I just need a swift kick ... I can't handle feeling this way any longer!

I'd love to hear some of your success stories or tips - I'm sure there are other women out there in the same boat as I am. I'm hoping to lose 30-35 lbs before next Spring - I'm going to make a goal and commit to it! Maybe I need a workout buddy?!? Do you find that helps??

Thanks for listening to me rant ...
Old 08-18-2010, 08:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by OBuck
Hi there,

I'm new to Fitday (well, I joined a long time ago, but never really participated/used the program!) The long & short of it - I'm a working Mom of 2 - managed to lose all my baby weight and then some last year after my second baby. I was down to my lowest weight ever as an adult ... and this past year (since I've returned to work, etc.), I've managed to gain back 30 lbs. I'm so depressed! I've been battling chronic health problems (severe migraines, shoulder problems) - I used to get to the gym 5+ times a week and now I'm lucky if I get there once or twice...

SO - I'm going to really try and log in here every day - hopefully get my ass in gear and head to the gym or do SOME exercise every day (providing no migraines!) I think I just need a swift kick ... I can't handle feeling this way any longer!

I'd love to hear some of your success stories or tips - I'm sure there are other women out there in the same boat as I am. I'm hoping to lose 30-35 lbs before next Spring - I'm going to make a goal and commit to it! Maybe I need a workout buddy?!? Do you find that helps??

Thanks for listening to me rant ...
Hi I'm 56yrs old and have fight the wieght thing for years I got laid off twice last year and gained 20 more lbs. So on Jan.4th I started changing my life stile as of aug 7th I'm down 29lbs.

Some of my bad foods were butter,cheese,white pasta and white rice so butter cheese are out about 90% changed to brown rice and eat smart pasta at 9gm of fiber. I also fine if I don't eat enough I will not loss that week.So lots of vegs ccut back on four leg meats cow pig lamb... high fiber foods beans lots of recipie on line,wht goes in needs to go out.

Hope this helped??

I just got on fitday so I'm intrested to see how this adds (or takes away ) from my wieght loss goal

ttyl
Old 08-18-2010, 11:43 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Same Boat

I'm new as of Monday...I have 2 kids also, but I never lost the first baby weight before I was expecting again (only 16 months apart). I was at the Dr's for a sinus problem and when I saw the number on the scale I wanted to cry, I wasn't real until I saw the number. So here I am, want to drop at least 30 pounds. Heres wishing us both luck!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:19 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Obuck,

I wrote a reply a while back, but I see it's not here.

Basically I'm in a similar boat. Well, I'm going to say "was", because things are going much better now.

I had a couple of kids, and although I lost the baby weight through cutting calories and exercising, I soon developed my own chronic health problems. My problems turned out to be easily controlled, BUT it took years to figured that out. The doctors had no idea what was wrong with me, and no ideas what I could do.

Eventually I figured it out for myself, but it took a few years. Cutting gluten out of my diet took care of my constant vertigo. (I thought I was having seizures). Going off birth control pills took care of my severe ADD-like symptoms, anxiety, and depression.

Unfortunately, while I had all those problems, I was not able to stick to any kind of weight loss or exercise program for more than about five minutes. I took everything I had not to gain weight more rapidly than I did. I should be happy I only gained 30 pounds.

So, like you, I've got 30 pounds to lose. If you want tips, I think the one that comes to mind is to weigh your food and log it in no matter what. One mistake I've made in the past is that when I knew I'd eaten too much, I didn't want to actually see the numbers, so I just wouldn't log it in. Next thing I knew, I had fallen off the wagon and gained weight.

Anyway, welcome!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:57 AM
FitDay Member

Hi! I liked Evelyn's suggestion: "If you want tips, I think the one that comes to mind is to weigh your food and log it in no matter what. One mistake I've made in the past is that when I knew I'd eaten too much, I didn't want to actually see the numbers, so I just wouldn't log it in. Next thing I knew, I had fallen off the wagon and gained weight." None of us eat perfectly so when we make mistakes, we just have to try to learn from them and keep on going.

As for exercise, do you have childcare early in the morning? I find it best to get up early and get it done. That way, no other priorities get in the way. Back when my kids were young and I worked every day outside the home, I would just exercise using a dvd (back then it was a video). Later on a co-worker and I joined a gym together and started working out after work but before dinner. The buddy system helped.

Lastly, I found it helpful to find a support system such as fitday forums to keep me focused and get encouragement. Looks like you discovered that one!

Best wishes!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

I don't really weigh all of my food BUT I post every mouthful on my FOODS.
Everything - it has really helped me.

I too, would like to loose 35 big ones............
Old 08-20-2010, 05:06 AM
FitDay Member

Wink In-house trainers

OBuck:

Glad you made it back here. I am new to FD (3weeks) and can tell you that recording food, mood, body measurement and journaling has taken some getting use to but it works. It is, for me, all about accountability. So that includes finding a Thread on here and being honest with others.

Migraines, so sorry to hear you have them. Terrible things.

When you find you do not have one when get home from work - and before dinner - hug your kids and strap them into a stroller and go for a walk/run. Even 10 minutes is good. Once the kiddies get into the habit THEY will keep you accountable! LOL It might not be the gym, but you have 'in-house' trainers. Remember to PLAY!

Carren
Old 08-20-2010, 05:57 AM
FitDay Member

Default My solution to migraines

Originally Posted by OBuck
I've been battling chronic health problems (severe migraines, shoulder problems) - I used to get to the gym 5+ times a week and now I'm lucky if I get there once or twice...

I'd love to hear some of your success stories or tips - I'm sure there are other women out there in the same boat as I am.
Hi OBuck!

I'm so sorry to hear you get migraines.

I personally need to lose a lot more than 35 pounds, so my boat is a bit bigger than the one you're in, but I'm trying to take it a day a at a time and not beat myself up over a bad day.

I suffered from severe migraines for the last 27 years since I was 12. Motivated by some severe abdominal pain this Spring, I started researching if I could find another answer than "You'll just have to live with it.", which my doctor kindly gave me. Anyone with migraines has my sympathy, they are horrid!

Long story short I eliminated preservatives (derived from gluten primarily) and I'm mostly gluten free, and 100% preservative free and the migraines have pretty much stopped. Two weeks into my one month gluten free trial and I felt the headaches/migraines were less intense.

Let me know if you give it a try and how it works for you.

Best of Luck with everything!