Notices

What type workouts are you doing?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 AM
FitDay Member

Default What type workouts are you doing?

What type of workouts are you doing to help lose weight. Are you doing cardio, weight lifting, both, what? I've been thinking about getting a weight bench to go along with walking/jogging. Do you find this to be much better than just cardio? I don't have much room for it as it will be going in the back porch.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:46 PM
FitDay Member

To lose weight I am using a walking/jogging/and sprinting combo about 5 miles a day for some cardio. Then lifting weights in my garage using lightweights with high reps and little rest between sets going from one body part to another. Maybe in another month I will join a gym and go to heavy weights and low reps, but right now just trying to get in better condition.

Also key is watching your calories of course. Losing around 11 pounds a month right now.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:14 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lucusmarcus
What type of workouts are you doing to help lose weight. Are you doing cardio, weight lifting, both, what? I've been thinking about getting a weight bench to go along with walking/jogging. Do you find this to be much better than just cardio? I don't have much room for it as it will be going in the back porch.
I started a program called "TurbulenceTraining" about a month ago and it is pretty good. Combines weights and interval training.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 AM
FitDay Member

I'm just doing some cardio at the moment. I'm pretty unfit so I'm working up, and time is limited so I can't workout every night. I have also started some absurdly light weights but not tracking them yet. I will eventually do weights 3 nights and cardio 4 nights a week hopefully.

my aim is to lose weight and limit muscle loss, basically get bodyfat % down.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:22 AM
FitDay Member

I stick mainly with weights/resistance training, but I make a point to work cardio into the routine several times a week. During the winter it's often as simple as holding some weights and going up and down stairs, or stepping onto a 12" box a dozen times with each leg, then repeating for several sets.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:20 AM
FitDay Member

It's all cardio for me.

I go to the gym (planet fitness) 5 to 6 times a week for about 1 to 1.5 hours.

I do 30 minutes on the cross ramp and 30 minutes on the eliptical - I love both machines cause they are low impact and do not bother my knees.

I go to the gym with my girlfriend and she lifts a couple of times a week so I will do 30 minutes on the treadmill if she is lifting.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 AM
FitDay Member

I have been playing basketball 3x a week for about 2 hours each day...and usually try to run at least 3 miles once a week.

I also add in the elliptical 1-2x a week for 40 min, trying to burn at least 500 calories at a time.

I have a big body frame, so I'm trying to maintain muscle (until I hit my weight loss and waist goal, then I'll start more strength training), but for now, I try to do at least 25 push-ups at the top of every hour while at work, to go along with 15-20 crunches at the same interval.

I have been at it since Nov of 09 and am down about 25 lbs and 3". 255 right now, and I would like to be down to 215-220 by the end of May.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 PM
FitDay Member

Default Watching Television

To lose weight I like to use the treadmill or elliptical at the gym while watching television. Usually I find an hour long program and walk, jog, or run for the hour. If there is a good movie I'll stay on for 2 hours. By going later at night, you can avoid the crowds and no one gets upset that you are using one of the machines for an hour or two.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:48 AM
FitDay Member

I used to go the gym at night (Anytime Fitness) to miss the crowds, but my sleep quality was suffering so I now go before work.
The early am workout seems to jump start my metabolism and I've been keeping the weight off except for the daily fluctuations- no biggie tho.
Early am workouts start at 5:30 and I'll usually stay till 7am.

I'll hit the weights after stretching and depending what day it is, I'll be working my upper body, lower or core.
I can usually get in 30-50 mins of weight training.

I'll then get on the tred mill for 30-45mins.
I'll warm up with some incline and then I'll get into a jogging/ run for 15-25 mins.
I used to use the elliptical, but I've gained some leg and knee strength and I can now run at a steady pace without feeling like I'm gonna die

I'm really trying to build up my running endurance so I can start entering fun runs and eventually work my way to marathons. There's also a yearly Iron Man race in my area and I would like to compete in that also.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:01 AM
FitDay Member

I'm a non-gym person here I hate it...lol. So what I do:

~ walk 30 mins - 45 mins 6 days a week
~ 20 mins of strength training with free weights arms one day legs the next 5 days a week
~ am just starting a belly dance class tonight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.