Notices

Did You Exercise Today?

Old 08-04-2010, 05:04 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Did You Exercise Today?

Hello Everyone,

I would like to say thanks for all of your input, feedback, comments and suggestions. I think there are some things that I will have to start thinking about.

Today, I did 60 minutes of incline walking on the treadmill and some work with the weights

What physical activity did you do today?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Great

That's great! Better then what I can do at the moment. Today no work-out, but yesterday did 15min on the treadmill with 10min of a brisk walk at 2.5 incline and then 5min of slower walk. Then did rest of workout with the heavy weights, did chest and triceps. I also want to see if I can do any kind of cardio workout at home though on the days I am not at the gym. Thing is, I live on a 2nd floor apartment, so don't want to be jumping around too much haha.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 AM
FitDay Member

I'd like to suggest yoga and pilates dvd's for at home when you don't want to make a lot of noise. I sneak both in when I can when the kids are sleeping. When they're up, forget it! lol
Old 08-04-2010, 08:14 AM
FitDay Member

Hi gals. I need some exercise encouragement! I have been so sedentary my whole life, with walking being my main form of exercise. But I recently recommitted to my health & fitness, and rented some workout dvd's at the local library. Nothing too difficult... a pilates video and 'The Biggest Loser' workout.

Well, today is my first day trying 'The Biggest Loser' tape, and I was winded just doing the warm up! I kept plugging along for about 20 minutes of the aerobic portion, but found I couldn't keep up with the movements. I just walked in place, trying to keep my heart rate up, but then I started feeling light headed and stopped.

I am proud of myself for trying, though a bit discouraged by just how out of shape I am.

In the past, when I've tried to start doing cardio exercises, I would be good for a few days and then just get so discouraged that I couldn't complete the tape or class, that'd I'd stop.

I don't want that to happen this time. The DVD suggested doing the workout 6 days a week. But that seems so daunting right now. And while I'm happy I made the effort, I really hate how I'm feeling right now. Sweaty, exhausted, slightly dizzy.

Anyway, sorry to vent... but I really could use some buddy support on the exercise front. Thanks! *hugs*

Smoosh
Old 08-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Smoosh, I think that you did an awesome effort just trying. Those DVDs are not really beginner-level .

Next time you go to the library, see if the have the 30 Day Shred from Jillian Michaels. The workouts are only 20 minutes and start with a warmup, then three circuits of 3 minutes strength (you need light weights), 2 minutes cardio, and 1 minute abs, then a nice stretchy cooldown. There are modifications for easier versions for some of the exercises. I wouldn't call it beginner, either, but the times on each move are relatively brief and that may work well for you. I got some pretty quick results out of it, also, which motivated me to keep doing it. There are three different levels, so you don't "grow out of it" soon. Not to say that you shouldn't keep the one you have, but I find that choosing exercise DVDs is kind of like shopping for shoes (and therapists!), in that you have to find one that fits or you won't get anywhere! Try a few on and put a few back, keep a few, and go from there to build yourself a program.

Congrats!

(Oh, today's exercise will be my tennis match, scheduled for later this evening. It's hot as Hades, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do...).

Last edited by cjohnson728; 08-04-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 AM
FitDay Member

After three days in a row of not working out due to a knee injury, I finally made it back to the gym today! I did 35 minutes on the eliptical. Normally I would have combined that with running or weights or a class or something, but my knee was already swelling. It's still swollen now. Hopefully I can put this injury behind me and get back to normal soon!

Smoosh - I responded on your other post...check there for some support. =)
Old 08-04-2010, 09:44 AM
FitDay Member

Today I did 40 minutes of workout videos. Smooth, I have OnDemand through my cable, and they show exercise videos, and some of then are Jillian Michaels, and some are Biggest Loser. The Biggest Loser ones are much easier, and they usually show two people doing the modified version. Take it one day at a time- make a daily goal for now. Then you'll be able to make weekly goals. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks guys. I don't plan to give up, but you'd think I was being sent before the firing squad with the way exercise makes me feel. I dread it. But I want to change my mental attitude about it, and hopefully my body will follow suit.

I'll look into the Jillian Michaels tapes. I only have basic cable because I rarely watch TV, but I think you're right Cassie... I need to switch up DVDs until I find something I feel I can do and stick with.

BTW, has anyone here tried a Zumba class? It looks fun. Not sure I could handle it though.

PS - Thanks Fletch for your reply on the other thread. I'll go read it now!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:05 AM
FitDay Member

Jillian Michaels kicked my a$$ today!!! Wow, it isn't easy to exercise when humidity is at 94%! I have never sweat so much in my home. I have to wash my yoga mat now... ugh.

Still, I feel good... maybe a little crazy, but good!

Have a fit day, Everyone! (Get it fit day? Haha!)
Old 08-10-2010, 01:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by smooshmcsmeesh
Thanks guys. I don't plan to give up, but you'd think I was being sent before the firing squad with the way exercise makes me feel. I dread it. But I want to change my mental attitude about it, and hopefully my body will follow suit.

BTW, has anyone here tried a Zumba class? It looks fun. Not sure I could handle it though.
Hey Smoosh.
I do a class called 'Salsacise' which is going to be renamed as a 'Zumba' class sometime in the near future. The first week I did it I sweat like crazy and by the end had cramps in both calves and could barely keep up, but after a few weeks I'm now finding it easier. I still get mild cramps, which I'm controlling with a higher water intake. and when you've got the steps down it's really fun.
I wouldn't worry about the fitness levels of other people in the class either. I'm always the most overweight person in my classes, but that doesn't stop me from giving it one hell of a go. The instructor always tells you to go at your own pace, and no one will think bad of you if you can't keep up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.