Notices

Yauncin's Weight Loss Tips

Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 AM
FitDay Member

Default Yauncin's Weight Loss Tips

When I originally started putting this post together it was for the thread 'Support group for just men > Post your best Diet Tips' but I got a little carried away and added fitness tips as well. So I just decided to post this here. Now I am not a fitness or diet expert but these are the things I do or I think about as I make my journey around the sun. I hope this helps some my fellow fitdayers and when following any of my advice just keep in mind your mileage may vary (YMMV).
  1. Measure everything you eat.
  2. Log everything you eat.
  3. Try to get all your nutrients from foods.
  4. If you can't manage 3, don't be afraid to take a vitamin supplement.
  5. When dieting you should try your hardest to preserve muscle mass.
  6. If you are concerned about 5, you MUST add resistance training.
  7. If you do 6 and you are a women then don't be afraid of bulking up, the odds are you don't fall into the percentage of women who really bulk. Any added muscle will help in your goal to lose fat.
  8. If you are a beginner to 6 use compound exercises, squats, deadlifts, rows, push-ups, pull/chin ups, etc.
  9. If you do 6 then you should shoot for approximately 1g of protein per 1 lb of lean muscle mass. I tend to do about .8g when I'm cutting i.e. losing fat.
  10. If you do 6 and can't get all your protein from 3, don't be afraid to take a protein supplement.
  11. You don't have to do an hour or an hour and a half of 'regular' cardio -- treadmill, elliptical, etc. -- to get good results, look up HIIT.
  12. Statistically you should fall into the ranges for the BMI but the BMI is not accurate for all people therefore...
  13. Keep body measurements and try to determine your body fat % in order to keep track of your fat loss.
  14. So with 13 in mind the scale is not an accurate measurement of fat loss either but it can give you a reference number. Yeah, yeah, I know some people will tell you to throw it out but I still like to weigh myself...
  15. Approximately 80% of your fitness needs can be achieved through diet.
  16. Keep in mind the quality of the foods you eat.
  17. And if you are really serious keep in mind nutrient timing.
  18. To err is human. So, if you fall off the wagon by eating a forbidden food, eating too much, or missing a work out -- <big friendly letters>DON'T PANIC</big friendly letters>. It's not the end of the world. Just pick yourself back up, brush yourself off, and try, try again.

If I think of anything else I'll edit this post.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

uggghhhh after typing and typing, I hit send and I guess I dropped my internet signal.

I'll try to reply back later.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
uggghhhh after typing and typing, I hit send and I guess I dropped my internet signal.

I'll try to reply back later.
Ouch that sucks,

And Yauncin thats a good list, its how I live I went down and checked it off 100% ha ha.

And to the ladies, hes right! Lift weights! You won't bulk up, women just don't have the necessary testosterone for that, but it will make you look great!

If you don't believe me just compare "natural women bodybuilders" to "women bodybuilders" there is obviously a cartoonish difference in their physiques and its from STEROIDS. And trust me anyone who is a "natural" bodybuilder is damn proud of it.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:06 PM
FitDay Member

I agree, that's an excellent list. And anyone who puts a "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" reference in their post (big friendly letters) has got to know what he's talking about.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:12 AM
FitDay Member

Solid list! Thanks Yauncin.

@midwestj -- I already lift and whatnot, but I took your suggestion to and googled up a whole bunch of stuff about female bodybuilders. You're right, the difference is incredible. Another difference I noticed (and ladies especially will know what I'm talking about) is between those natural bodybuilders and the models I see all the time in women's fitness magazines. Its very striking when you see that athleticism next to a "fitness model" physique. Both are beautiful, but in very different ways! Also, I learned some really interesting stuff about the controversies about female bodybuilders/bodybuilding as well as challenges they face both within thier sport and "out in the world".

@elderwanda -- I definitely got a kick out of that!
Old 08-14-2010, 05:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by yauncin
When I originally started putting this post together it was for the thread 'Support group for just men > Post your best Diet Tips' but I got a little carried away and added fitness tips as well. So I just decided to post this here. Now I am not a fitness or diet expert but these are the things I do or I think about as I make my journey around the sun. I hope this helps some my fellow fitdayers and when following any of my advice just keep in mind your mileage may vary (YMMV).
  1. Measure everything you eat.
  2. Log everything you eat.
  3. Try to get all your nutrients from foods.
  4. If you can't manage 3, don't be afraid to take a vitamin supplement.
  5. When dieting you should try your hardest to preserve muscle mass.
  6. If you are concerned about 5, you MUST add resistance training.
  7. If you do 6 and you are a women then don't be afraid of bulking up, the odds are you don't fall into the percentage of women who really bulk. Any added muscle will help in your goal to lose fat.
  8. If you are a beginner to 6 use compound exercises, squats, deadlifts, rows, push-ups, pull/chin ups, etc.
  9. If you do 6 then you should shoot for approximately 1g of protein per 1 lb of lean muscle mass. I tend to do about .8g when I'm cutting i.e. losing fat.
  10. If you do 6 and can't get all your protein from 3, don't be afraid to take a protein supplement.
  11. You don't have to do an hour or an hour and a half of 'regular' cardio -- treadmill, elliptical, etc. -- to get good results, look up HIIT.
  12. Statistically you should fall into the ranges for the BMI but the BMI is not accurate for all people therefore...
  13. Keep body measurements and try to determine your body fat % in order to keep track of your fat loss.
  14. So with 13 in mind the scale is not an accurate measurement of fat loss either but it can give you a reference number. Yeah, yeah, I know some people will tell you to throw it out but I still like to weigh myself...
  15. Approximately 80% of your fitness needs can be achieved through diet.
  16. Keep in mind the quality of the foods you eat.
  17. And if you are really serious keep in mind nutrient timing.
  18. To err is human. So, if you fall off the wagon by eating a forbidden food, eating too much, or missing a work out -- <big friendly letters>DON'T PANIC</big friendly letters>. It's not the end of the world. Just pick yourself back up, brush yourself off, and try, try again.

If I think of anything else I'll edit this post.
I am fully agree as a doctor. This tips are great to follow for Weight Loss.Health is wealth, and if you follow this SPAM, i am sure you must loss your weight.
Thanks Yauncin,
I also give you some additional tips if you want to add....

Last edited by VitoVino; 01-18-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:13 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Yauncin for these great tips!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:25 AM
FitDay Member

I know what you mean Sailordoom. I guess I was just trying to say that no matter how into it you get (weight lifting) women won't lose their womanly characteristics. The reason some of those "unnatural" bodybuilders look like hulks is because they have pumped so many male hormones in their bodies they are basically a man, with breast implants... LOL

Also the weight lifting is seriously way more enjoyable than marathon cardio sessions!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

ok... basically here's what I was trying to post earlier.

yauncin,

I love this post you make some great points. One thing I would add (even though I'm scale obsessed) is trust your mirror! You mirror will tell you if your going in the right direction better than a scale would.

I have a question about #9, because I may be doing it wrong. Why do you drop down to .8g protein per pound of lean body mass when cutting? I always try to take in at LEAST 1g protein per pound of TOTAL body weight. When Cutting I shoot for 1.25g (~220g per day). I spread that though out the day b/c I know your body can only use so much at a time, the rest you'll just piss out. My though process on this (and I may be wrong) is that the protein is used to conserve muscle mass, which is why I take in so much. Does this make sense anyone or am I going about it wrong?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:34 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone!

@elderwanda
Wasn't sure anyone would catch the reference.

@01gt4.6
Yeah I have read that as well and if you aren't losing much muscle then you're probably on track. I shoot for 1g per lb of lean body mass but I don't always get there, especially when I'm cutting, but I don't go below .8g per lb of lean body mass. And I know this works for me. I don't lose too much muscle this way. But I'm a mesomorph so I gain fairly easily. Another thing is when I'm cutting I try to stay away from the protein powder, due to cost, and just try to get all my protein from food. One more thing, you don't excrete excess protein. If protein is not used to maintain the body or as energy it too will be turned into fat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.