View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
yauncin
FitDay Member

Default Yauncin's Weight Loss Tips

When I originally started putting this post together it was for the thread 'Support group for just men > Post your best Diet Tips' but I got a little carried away and added fitness tips as well. So I just decided to post this here. Now I am not a fitness or diet expert but these are the things I do or I think about as I make my journey around the sun. I hope this helps some my fellow fitdayers and when following any of my advice just keep in mind your mileage may vary (YMMV).
  1. Measure everything you eat.
  2. Log everything you eat.
  3. Try to get all your nutrients from foods.
  4. If you can't manage 3, don't be afraid to take a vitamin supplement.
  5. When dieting you should try your hardest to preserve muscle mass.
  6. If you are concerned about 5, you MUST add resistance training.
  7. If you do 6 and you are a women then don't be afraid of bulking up, the odds are you don't fall into the percentage of women who really bulk. Any added muscle will help in your goal to lose fat.
  8. If you are a beginner to 6 use compound exercises, squats, deadlifts, rows, push-ups, pull/chin ups, etc.
  9. If you do 6 then you should shoot for approximately 1g of protein per 1 lb of lean muscle mass. I tend to do about .8g when I'm cutting i.e. losing fat.
  10. If you do 6 and can't get all your protein from 3, don't be afraid to take a protein supplement.
  11. You don't have to do an hour or an hour and a half of 'regular' cardio -- treadmill, elliptical, etc. -- to get good results, look up HIIT.
  12. Statistically you should fall into the ranges for the BMI but the BMI is not accurate for all people therefore...
  13. Keep body measurements and try to determine your body fat % in order to keep track of your fat loss.
  14. So with 13 in mind the scale is not an accurate measurement of fat loss either but it can give you a reference number. Yeah, yeah, I know some people will tell you to throw it out but I still like to weigh myself...
  15. Approximately 80% of your fitness needs can be achieved through diet.
  16. Keep in mind the quality of the foods you eat.
  17. And if you are really serious keep in mind nutrient timing.
  18. To err is human. So, if you fall off the wagon by eating a forbidden food, eating too much, or missing a work out -- <big friendly letters>DON'T PANIC</big friendly letters>. It's not the end of the world. Just pick yourself back up, brush yourself off, and try, try again.

If I think of anything else I'll edit this post.
yauncin is offline   Reply With Quote