View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
CoeyCoey
FitDay Member

Hi Julie,

I think you misunderstood the raw foodist. On a per weight basis, broccoli has has about 1/10th the protein of steak. So, you could have to eat 10 ounces of broccoli to get the same number of grams of protein as 1 ounce of steak. But for the same number of calories, you get about the same amount of protein as a steak. So, 80 calories of steak gets you around 8 grams of protein, and 80 calories of broccoli gets you about 7.5 grams of protein. The rest of the calories from steak are 100% fat, and the rest from broccoli is about 95% carbs and 5% fat.

Protein is not an issue. You don't need to worry about combining proteins or eating more legumes or nuts. If you ate 100% raw fruits and vegetables, which I do on occasion, you would consume around 6%-8% protein. This is easily enough to maintain muscle mass and be very healthy. Remember, a new born baby will grow 350% over the next two years of its life on breast milk of around 4%-5% protein.

Protein deficiency is only seen in causes of severe malnutrition or disease. It is not something you have to worry about if you are eating even a small variety of whole foods. Also, remember that the largest and most powerful land animals are herbivores, and they get plenty of protein.

The going out thing is easily fixed by eating before you go out. Or go out to a place with a selection of whole foods. If all else fails, I order a plate of steamed vegetables, or a salad with mustard as the dressing.

Nuts are excellent foods, but they are high in fat and calories. A handful of nuts for me is easily half a days calories, and I am still hungry. I keep my nut intake to a minimum to lose weight.

I hope this helps,

C.J.
CoeyCoey is offline   Reply With Quote