Community
Notices

Monsterous Appetite

Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Ron about the "lowfat". Not only do I get hungry quicker if I try to keep my meals and snacks fat-free, but I end up feeling deprived because my food wasn't enjoyable, so I'll end up eating something else.

A good example happened a few days ago. Most days I have a cup of whole-milk yogurt, but on that day, there was a Chobani nonfat Greek yogurt in the fridge. My son had asked for it at the store, but changed his mind, so I decided not to let it go to waste. Whatever they put in it to make up for the fact that it's nonfat made it kind of gritty and gloopy. I tried to eat it all, because it's high in protein and relatively low-cal, but it was such an abomination, I couldn't finish it. Blech!! Ha ha!

In the end, I had something else as well, because I felt like I had been cheated out on a proper eating experience.

Of course, here I am, not losing an ounce, so I guess my advice isn't worth much. In all fairness to myself, though, my clothes are fitting better and I'm firmer in places, so I think I've built up some muscle with all my weight training.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by smooshmcsmeesh
My hubby brought home some roasted almonds that were in 100 calorie packs. They are the perfect size to just take the edge off hunger and I don't have to worry about overdoing it by having a larger bag/jar accessible. Maybe give those a try almeeker. =)
Those would be alright if I packed them in a lunch and there was only 1 pack, but if I was at home and had access to the whole box, well it might be a different story....

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
It's been shown that eating slowly tames appetite.

That is, eat a bite, then stop. Wait, even if it's 30 seconds (which may seem like a long, long time) and then take the next bite. Continue to do that until you have eaten the serving.

The idea is that it takes awhile for the feeling of satiety to register, even at the level of 'a bite,' let alone 'a portion.'

I really, really believe this works. Can I do it? No. Not unless I am eating alone or eating in a group where everyone is talking, including me.
Me neither, I grew up with 2 brothers, both of them eating machines. I learned to grab quick and throw it down as fast as possible, because seriously nothing ever got passed around twice in our house. My dad was the oldest of 6....
Old 08-11-2010, 12:10 AM
FitDay Member

Thankyou all so much for your advice. I'm following it and its actually working. you all are the best!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 AM
FitDay Member

Why only 10 almonds?
Natural almonds - no salt or seasoning is about 165 Calories per 22 almonds.
If you have 25 almonds with water, there goes one snack that will fill you until the next meal.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:58 AM
FitDay Member

Geez OP, you are not alone!
I do this too. Some days I am very good all day. But more often than I'd like to admit - I will be stellar all day, and then get home and go on a rampage devouring everything within arms reach.

I'll tell myself I am going to have one bowl of pasta when I get home. Then I get home and have seconds. Then some sides. Then a sandwich. Then some chips. Before I know it I'll have racked up an embarrassing amount of calories within one hour!

Then I spend the rest of the evening feeling guilty!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:05 AM
FitDay Member

You need to eat more in the day - protien and fiber - a lot less carbs.
That way when you get home or at night, you won't feel the urge to munch.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:39 AM
FitDay Member

I've taken a long hard look at my 'binging' after reading some nutrition/weight loss books. One in particular I just finished talks about the eating habits of those 'naturaly skinny' people. The biggest things I'm starting to see in regards to my eating in comparison to what the book says include:

-if you deny yourself ceratin foods, you just want them more...hence when I do binge eat, I tend to load up on all those bad foods all at once because I haven't had any of them in so long. If I were to have controlled portions of chips with my salsa (instead of the celery sticks I usually eat with it) or a scoop of ice cream now and then, I woulnd't feel so deprived and binge on it later.
-Eating habits: the book recommends eating without distractions (meaning no TV, don't read a book, ceratinly don't eat on the run, etc.) so that you can really focus on the food and how it tastes. If you eat while distracted, only half the amount of food eaten actually registers, so you don't feel like you ate enough, hence you want more. The book also recommends putting your fork down between bites, that even the distraction of getting your next bite ready will take away from the experience of the bite in your mouth. I have actualy started putting my fork down and really paying attention to the different flavors and textures (I've been having stir fry for dinner this week, so there are tons of different textures and flavors to really enjoy). It helps a lot to really concentrate on the food, and putting my fork down between bites definintely slows me down. I have yet to be able to eat without the TV, just because I live alone and with dinner taking me longer to eat (due to taking my time on it), it's hard to sit for a half hour in complete silence just thinking about the food in my mouth! But I have to say, these techniques are working to help curb those cravings to just eat and eat and eat.

I think a lot of what people have been saying on here makes sense, so just try a few things out here and there to see what works for you. Good luck!