Question on home-made modifications of Atkins >

Question on home-made modifications of Atkins

Community
Notices

Question on home-made modifications of Atkins

Old 08-11-2010, 05:25 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs down Question on home-made modifications of Atkins

Hi everyone. I have a question which I'm sure will upset all the Atkins people (LOL) but I want your opinion on this.
Do you think it would make ANY sense at all to do some sort of an Atkins diet (<20-30 g net carbs a day) BUT controlling the calories and somehow also the fat eaten? For example a 40-40-20 fat-prot-carbs (compared to 70-20-10 e.g.) as well as eating less than our resting caloring need, BUT controlling net carbs?
Do you think that you HAVE TO eat 65-70% fat to lose weight on this type of diet? If so, why?
Please don't just say that this is simply not Atkins, because I do know it!
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Default This isn't really an answer, but...

...there are as many ways to diet as there are people trying to lose weight and be healthy. Every body responds differently. Some do better with low carb, some do better with moderate carbs, some focus on completely low fat (we used to have an extremely successful lady on here who met her goal and lost a huge amount of weight by not eating more than 10 grams of fat per day (search for Showmenow).

My suggestion would be to experiment with whatever seems like it might work for you or what you might want to try. If you want to try your homemade version of Atkins, go for it, although based on my admittedly limited knowledge of Atkins it seems like you would be eating pure protein, which is not only difficult but may have some health ramifications.

Whatever you choose, pay attention to how you feel and how your weight loss is. It doesn't matter what you call it or if it is a "classic," published diet. You can try a bunch of different types of patterns until you figure out what works for you. When you get it, you'll know it. Listen to your body and it will give you the answers, but it may take some trial and error. Above all, don't rush the process, or you'll just get more confused
Old 08-11-2010, 02:01 PM
FitDay Member

atkins works because when you dust off all the diet hype it's basic calorie restriction. it's really hard to consume 2000 calories eating mostly protiens and fats.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:48 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 135for35
atkins works because when you dust off all the diet hype it's basic calorie restriction. it's really hard to consume 2000 calories eating mostly protiens and fats.
I've never researched Atkins dietary requirements, but I eat Paleo (high fat, lower carb, adequate protein) and I average about 2,700 calories a day and I'm at 12% BF. Yesterday (according to Fitday) I put back 3,300 calories with 54% fat 23% protein. It was easy.

OP: that sounds like a low carb Zone diet - which requires 30:30:40 (fat, protein, carb) at each meal rather than a daily total. The only way to find out is to try it. If it doesn't work, adjust!