Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Weight Loss Question for Diabetics (Type II) >

Weight Loss Question for Diabetics (Type II)

Community
Notices

Weight Loss Question for Diabetics (Type II)

Old 08-10-2010, 01:52 PM
FitDay Member

Default Weight Loss Question for Diabetics (Type II)

I am a diabetic who is insulin dependent. I also take oral medications to help manage my blood sugar.

My doctor has been urging me to eat healthier & exercise more, so I'm excited to be getting fit -- finally -- after being diagnosed in 1997 and not really taking my condition seriously.

However, I've noticed with the change in my food choices and activity levels that my BS seems to drop faster at sudden times of day. I am going to put a call in to my doc tomorrow about this, but wondered if any of you have experienced this?

It is my hope that someday I can go off the insulin, but not sure how likely that will be.

Today when I was at the library, after having some almonds as a snack about 15 minutes prior, my BS dropped fast and I thought I was going to pass out. Fortunately I had some glucose tablets with me, which I always carry, and popped a few. I was by myself and once I felt stable, I drove home and had lunch. After about an hour I felt better.

Losing weight & exercising is challenging enough, but trying to adjust the diabetes management on top of that can be a little overwhelming.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Smoosh
Old 08-10-2010, 02:44 PM
FitDay Member

Keep up the good work, and as your weight and diet continue to change maybe your will find that you Dr. might adjust your meds
Old 08-12-2010, 01:15 PM
FitDay Member

Smoosh: Kudos to you for gaining control of your health and fitness! You are wise to always carry glucose tablets-especially while exercising. Glad you're going to speak with your MD about handling the low blood sugar response to exercise and diet. You might also want to cut and paste the following to your favorite search engine concerning the body's response to exercise for Type II Diabetes.

diabetes.lifetips.com/cat/63304/diabetic-exercise/index.html

Best wishes!
Old 08-12-2010, 03:05 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks so much Beth! That was a great link with lots of good info. I've bookmarked it. Appreciate your support and encouragement.

Best always,
Smoosh
Old 08-12-2010, 03:21 PM
FitDay Member

I'm not a doctor, but did have a dad that had Diabetes and my stepdad has diabetes. The best thing for you to eat 5-6 small meals a day and that help with the spikes. I also noticed your carbs are the majority of your calories. My stepdad's dr advised him to have more protein, less starches and get his carbs from vegetables and keep fruit at a minimum. The carbs turn to sugar in your body and causes extreme increases in blood, then dramatic drops. I would check with your doctor to see what prot/carb/fat ratio is best for you. Whatever you do, please keep trying to lose weight. I lost my Dad to diabetes because he never could get the highs/lows regulated. ALWAYS check with your doctor when dieting. My best wishes for you.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:05 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks so much zinal. I know I need to get more protein and less carbs in my daily menu plan and I'll definitely ask my physician for advice on what balance he thinks is best.

I'm so sorry that you lost your Dad to Diabetes. It's definitely a serious condition -- but a manageable one if you take care. I've spent several years kind of 'rejecting' my Diabetes, though i've always taken my meds & BS. However only now have I started to put forth real effort to curb my eating habits and get more exercise. Not sure why it took me so long, but I'm glad I'm finally at this point.

Appreciate your feedback!