Notices

Hey! Newbie Here

Old 07-30-2010, 05:45 AM
FitDay Member

@Fletch,
I am planning on starting on Monday. This weekend I am going to the grocery store to buy healthy foods. In the past I tried nutrisystem but it's pricey and I can't buy that every month. I definitely can say I lost while doing it. But, I want to start buying my own food and learning how to make my own healthy meals. I think I need to learn how to portion my meals. I don't wanna eat too much but at the same time I want don't want to still be hungry. I wanna be satisfied. I think my weakness is potato chips...I can eat a big bag on my own..oh my how I love them! Lol!!! I've recently became a big lover of sweet potato fries. They are yummy! lol ...I think I just need to learn how to portion everything. What are healthy fats?
For portion control, buy yourself a set of measuring cups and spoons and a food scale. Weigh and measure EVERYTHING you eat so that you can accurately record it in fit day. Check out nutrition labels on packaged foods - see what a serving size actually is! Even small bags or boxes can contain 2-3 servings.

It's okay to have a serving of sweet potato fries every now and then. If you don't, you'll end up bingeing on them later! Just make sure you eat ONE serving, count the calories, and eat lots of healthy things the rest of the day to go with it!

Foods to fill you up: lean sources of protein (turkey, skim milk, low fat cheese, etc.), fiber from fruits, vegetables and whole grains, and healthy fats. Stay away from things like simple carbs (white bread, sugar filled foods, white rice, etc.) because those won't fill you up and might even make you more hungry!

Speaking of healthy fats, those are unsaturated fats from things like olive oil, nuts, avocado, seeds, etc. For some information about healthy fats, check this out: UMIM: Healing Foods Pyramid - Healthy Fats | University of Michigan Health System

almeeker - re: carbs....PREACH, sista! =) I think I would live solely off carbs if I could. =)

On an unrelated note, I just spent a few hours helping to set up for the graduation party I'm going to tomorrow. It has the potention to be a complete diet disaster! Loooots of alcohol, good food, sweet treats, and snacks. I know all the things I should do (don't go hungry, fill up on fruits, vegetables, and healthy foods, drink in moderation, THINK before putting something in my mouth...), now I just need to DO all of that!

I'm off to the gym now for some preventative work. =)
Old 07-31-2010, 05:34 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by fletch8502
almeeker - re: carbs....PREACH, sista! =) I think I would live solely off carbs if I could. =)

On an unrelated note, I just spent a few hours helping to set up for the graduation party I'm going to tomorrow. It has the potention to be a complete diet disaster! Loooots of alcohol, good food, sweet treats, and snacks. I know all the things I should do (don't go hungry, fill up on fruits, vegetables, and healthy foods, drink in moderation, THINK before putting something in my mouth...), now I just need to DO all of that!

I'm off to the gym now for some preventative work. =)
Carbs are my downfall, I HAVE lived solely on them for YEARS and YEARS, hence my need to be on a diet and lose like 125 pounds. Ugh.

I hear you on the planning. I went to a BBQ last night, for DH's office. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't great either, I ended the day at 1900+ calories. Ugh! That's waaayy over my calorie budget, which just goes hand in hand with the upward calorie trend I've been on lately. Summer is soooo hard for me.

I'm totally cracking up over you referring to the gym as "preventative work", since I always think of it as "trying to burn off what I already ate work". Maybe your way is better, because I always feel like I'm never going to catch up to my appetite.

Last edited by almeeker; 07-31-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:00 AM
FitDay Member

I'm planning on losing about 55-60 lbs or so. One reason that FD works for me is ... you can't not be honest with it when filling it out; because if you do you will be defeating your self and your diet. I'm so amazed at how many cals, fat, and carbs is in everything. Much more then I used to believed before using FD. Once I'm able to get back to the gym I will really start to lose. Ya....Hoo!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:17 AM
FitDay Member

I hear you on the planning. I went to a BBQ last night, for DH's office. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't great either, I ended the day at 1900+ calories. Ugh! That's waaayy over my calorie budget, which just goes hand in hand with the upward calorie trend I've been on lately. Summer is soooo hard for me.

I'm totally cracking up over you referring to the gym as "preventative work", since I always think of it as "trying to burn off what I already ate work". Maybe your way is better, because I always feel like I'm never going to catch up to my appetite.
I did soooo well when I first got to the party and during dinner. I mean, awesome. But then I ate one Swedish Fish from the bowls that were on EVERY table, and it was so good and I ate way more than I intended! Then there was chocolate covered pretzels and popcorn and...yeah... But I put everything into FitDay and ended up around 2,000 calories as well.

I have another party today, so I'm hoping to do better!

Preventative gym work is a good thing! I recommend trying it sometime. =) I'm glad I did that, too, because I tripped over a tent cable (I was totally sober, too!) and landed on my hands and knees on the concrete. Now my knee is scraped up, swollen, and sore. No gym for me today. Boo.

I'm planning on losing about 55-60 lbs or so. One reason that FD works for me is ... you can't not be honest with it when filling it out; because if you do you will be defeating your self and your diet. I'm so amazed at how many cals, fat, and carbs is in everything. Much more then I used to believed before using FD. Once I'm able to get back to the gym I will really start to lose. Ya....Hoo!
You can do it! You're right about just defeating yourself if you're not honest. Be honest, eat well, and exercise, and those 55-60 lbs will come off no problem!

Best of luck. =)
Old 08-02-2010, 10:34 AM
FitDay Member

Wow now, that may explain why I was so hungry when I ate broccoli and white rice. I thought something was wrong with me because it happened more than once but I had no idea carbs could make you more hungry! Wow! Thanks for sharing that info along with all the other tips you gave! I need to get me a food scale because I have measuring cups and measuring spoons. I'm definitely going to use those tips and check out that link! Thanks again!

Here is my email my fellow weight loss buddies: [email protected]

Just a way for us to keep in touch and up to date with one another.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:39 AM
FitDay Member

Default New here and need help!!

Hi all, I just started a new weightloss program with a group from work and realized i need help with positive feedback to keep me on the right track, and I stumbled on this site.
My goal is to lose 80lbs. I have already given up soda (now drinking only water), i have drank Mt.Dew for the last 10+yrs on a daily basis..giving this up was very hard , sweets, pastries, pasta, most breads and I have started excecising every day.
It has been 1 week and I have gained 2 lbs.
Im trying to find out if this is normal to gain a few pounds before it sheds due to all the water or am i just destined to be a plus size woman for the rest of my life.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:51 AM
FitDay Member

We all need help, so welcome to all here. Anyone can feel free to add me to their friend's list.
---------------
Starting weight : 198lbs (6-20-10)
Current weight : 187.4 lbs (8-5-10)
Mini goal weight: 175 lbs (8-24-10)
GOAL WEIGHT : 120-130 lbs (12-20-10)

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...ml?Owner=zinal
Old 08-10-2010, 05:06 AM
FitDay Member

Here are the things that are working for me:

-avoiding carbs like sweets, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, and corn
-drinking water, tea (plain no sugar), or lime-flavored mineral water
-eating as much protein as possible
-fruits, veggies, and bringing my food to work
-no eating after dinner (7pm)

Saturday is my "cheat" day. That doesn't mean pig out, just that I might eat out at a restaurant or eat things I don't during the week (see first bullet point). I still try to use good portion control. If I have a nice meal at a restaurant, I might have one cocktail.

A typical weekday looks like this:
7:00am 2 eggs + sauteed veggie or oatmeal w/ fruit or cereal
9:30 Yogurt
11:30-12:30 Salad w/ lots of veggies + tuna or other meat + frozen veggies and canned beans sometimes
2:00 Berries/cherries or other fruit
4:30 Plum or peach other other fruit
6:30-7 Meat with veggie or something else sensible

I'm never hungry except before breakfast.