View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
4sdowns
FitDay Member

Before you go changing anything you need to know how your body uses the macronutrients. Some people need more carbs than others while some people respond better to low carbs.

I have played around with many ratios and my body works best on 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. Some days the ratios are not perfect, but I never go below 20% good fats.

In the past I have tried all of those low carb diets and thought I was going to lose my mind. Then I learned about metabolic types and I have been very happy eating my carbs. I do work out with weights vigorously three days a week, plus two yoga sessions. And when I want to cut some fat off my body I add three days of cardio in between (30 minutes max) and my body sheds 2-3 pounds a week and that is with 2,300 calories a day.

If you feel good and you are losing weight, don't by into any food myths like low-fat or low-carbs. Your body needs carbs, especially complex carbs. Your body needs healthy fats. 26% of your calories from fat sounds good to me. Just make sure NONE of the fats are trans fat (hydrogenated or partially-hydrogenated whatever).

You may want to get a heart rate monitor so it can tell you what you burn from exercise if you start to plateau. In my experience, people don't work out nearly as hard as they think. And the calorie burn monitors on gym machines are HIGHLY inaccurate. Most times the grossly overstate calories burned.
4sdowns is offline   Reply With Quote