Notices

Awesome in August ... 100+ ladies

Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 PM
FitDay Member

Default Awesome in August ... 100+ ladies

Welcome aboard. I don't really have much of anything to post. I'm waiting for my pickles to do their thing, then I can go to bed. That's no joke, I really am making pickles, the whole house stinks to high heaven of dill, garlic, vinegar, mustard seed and onions.

I thought I blew it at dinner, because I ate a couple of things I normally don't touch, but I got the calories added up and I'm still under 2,000, so not bad for the day overall, especially considering that I've been making pickles since mid day. I love pickles.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:03 PM
FitDay Member

Yum, I love pickles! And garlic! I bet the house smells amazing =).

I'm on board with the group for August, and hope to report some successes as we go through the month. Today is only the 2nd day of my logging, and I was a little frustrated at dinner because hubby made grilled burgers and I thought I was doing well by eating them without the bun, until I realized one patty had 330 calories! And I had 2! Yikes. So I'm a bit over on my intake today, but it's still less than I have been eating, so I guess it's a start.

Also didn't exercise today. Going from extremely sedentary to working out 5-7 days a week is a little intimidating. I'm just gonna take it slow and ease into it. I hope.

Hope everyone is having a good week so far.

Best always,
Smoosh
Old 08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
FitDay Member

Almeeker Thanks for starting a new thread. New month.. new thread.. one pound at a time!!

Originally Posted by Pixie5477
I need advice where to shop for good running shoes. I have been told to try Sport Chalet & Sports Authority. anywhere else I should try?
Hi Pixie, I recently purchased running shoes from The Running Room. http://www.shop.runningroom.com/prod...oducts_id=4525. These are the only pair of shoes I've ever owned that don't hurt my feet. They are regularly around $200.

They also have a shoe finder at http://www.shop.runningroom.com/?shoefinder=launch but check out the clearance section for more shoes in the "cushioning" category.

I am doing a modified version of the couch to 5k program and I'm running 5 x 200 meters, 3 days a week. Even though I'm still 87 lbs overweight, I can run now, without sore feet! I'm sure there are lots of other great shoes too. The important thing is, go for cushioning and comfort!

P.S. I've been trying to post all day and fitday kept timing out. I took off my signature and now it works!

Last edited by Susan8Less; 08-03-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:28 AM
FitDay Member

Default Running shoes

Pixie, I agree with Susan8Less. The Running Room is a good place to go because they are qualified to analyze your feet and assess which shoes are the best for your needs. If you plan of running or doing anything with a high impact on your feet, the right shoes are very important. They are pricey for sure but physiotherapy is too!

Susan, good for you for modifying the Couch To 5K program! I did that too. I'm actually going to finish it today and it took me 11 weeks instead of 9 but I could not be happier or more proud for accomplishing this goal. It's a great feeling so keep up the good work!
Old 08-04-2010, 03:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default Couch to 5K

Originally Posted by mtlgirl
Pixie, I agree with Susan8Less. The Running Room is a good place to go because they are qualified to analyze your feet and assess which shoes are the best for your needs. If you plan of running or doing anything with a high impact on your feet, the right shoes are very important. They are pricey for sure but physiotherapy is too!

Susan, good for you for modifying the Couch To 5K program! I did that too. I'm actually going to finish it today and it took me 11 weeks instead of 9 but I could not be happier or more proud for accomplishing this goal. It's a great feeling so keep up the good work!
What is this Couch to 5k you talk about? Right now I am only walking - shooting for 10000 steps a day, but really want to run - but at 247# ? ? ? Thanks for the info on shoes too! I was wondering the same thing as Pixie. Carren
Old 08-04-2010, 04:46 AM
FitDay Member

I found you all!! Glad you left a forwarding addy since we seem to move often

Almeeker I am soooo addicted to kosher dills. It started about 4 months ago. It started as a horrible craving and I could eat an entire jar in 1 day. It's now to the point where I can get by eating a forkful or a couple spears. I thought it was that my craving was my body saying i needed something, but I have figured out that it is because it has a 'strong' flavor. Same reason I am craving tomatos, oranges, melons. Unfortunately my pickle thing is racking up the water weight like there is no tomorrow. Last week I gained almost 15 lbs of water weight from all that sodium.

I am wondering since you are having probs with those last 35 lbs.. since you seem to be very active and work out, if it isnt time to drop the calories a litle bit. I am thinking what the dietitian explained to me that when you stop losing for a week or 2, then drop your daily intake down by 100 a day. You can drop until you hit about 1200 - 1400 calories for maintenance.

smooshmcsmeesh - i think we have all made the mistake of not realizing how many calories and fat etc are in something and eat more than we should. Today is a new day, and for next time you will remember!

ChunkyDunk - have you thought about or looked into swimming/water based exercises? They souldnt hurt your back, knees or any other thing. Some community colleges offer these classes for a minimal cost.

mstaff congrats on the loss!! You are doing so well!

Keep up the good work everyone!!

I also do not always remember who is new here so welcome!! to all I have missed, it wasnt done on purpose.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default Couch To 5K

Hi Carren,

The Couch To 5k is a running program for true beginners. It was designed to ease a couch potato into becoming able to run 5k (3 miles) in 2 months but really it's more of a walking/jogging program for the first 6 weeks and it's wise to take the time you need to get through the program at your own pace. I repeated a couple of weeks when I didn't think I was ready to move on to the next level. Here is a link to the program Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan

I highly recommend it! The feeling of accomplishment is so fantastic and if you are impatient like me, you will appreciate how steadily you will improve every week. Be sure to take it as slow as you need to though!

Let us know what you decide...
Old 08-04-2010, 05:42 AM
FitDay Member

Hello ladies glad the move didn't throw anybody off too much.

Gamegal, have you considered making your own lower sodium kosher dills? Unless you're Jewish and keep kosher, you don't need a Rabi, just some cucumbers, kosher salt, fresh dill, vinegar and garlic. I make a modified version of my moms recipe, which only has 1 cup of kosher salt per 5 quarts of liquid, but I cut that in half and it works just fine. Although I confess to being up on the scales this morning and I know it was water weight, because last night when I went to bed my hands and feet were swollen. I drank a ton of water yesterday, but it was Africa hot here and I spent nearly the entire day on my feet eating cucumbers right out of the brine. The finished pickles have been rinsed, so they aren't so bad as the 1/2 finished ones I ate yesterday. Oh well, maybe tomorrow I will be back down, or the day after. So I'm drinking a lot today and going to focus on snapping beans, which don't get any added salt. You are also right on the money with dropping my calories. I'm having a very hard time with it, I can't seem to stay on track with my old budget let alone drop down to a lower one. Which I think has to do with the fact that I'm in much much better shape than I was originally, and I really do need more to eat just to function, or at least my metabolism certainly thinks so. I'm hungry all the time now, ravenous in fact. I've tried upping my workout, but seriously how many hours/day is too many? Much more than 60-75 minutes isn't even feasible most days. I'll find my new groove, I just have to think and be positive...

I'm doing something like Cto5K as well, but I haven't been really strict about the minutes. I run, then I walk, then I run, then I walk, and when I have to stop I turn around and come home. Last time I went, I was able to run all but 4 blocks, and according to mapmyrun.com I went 5.1 miles total, so not half bad.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

Hi everyone... happy Wednesday!
I'm on Day 3 of my logging, and trying not to get on the scale every morning (which is so tempting), but already I'm feeling a bit better. I've dropped a few pounds of water weight and was very happy when my husband came home from work today, toting grocery bags of healthy fruits, veggies, whole wheat grains & lean meats. He's doing this with me, which is the first time in our 13 yrs. of marriage, and I'm really feeling like his support is gonna be the key to our success this time!

Thanks for posting the link about the Couch-to-5k program. I've never considered the possibility of running, and always felt like the first one who would die in a horror movie because I couldn't run to save my life. LOL

But I think I may give it a shot.

My dogs are going crazy for some baby carrots, so I better go share with them before they lose their voices. =)

Working on my signature too. I'm so inspired reading all of yours!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:32 AM
FitDay Member

Introducing...
My new signature! =)

This took more courage for me than I thought it would, but you gals are all so inspiring -- I am unafraid. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.