Question on weight loss speed >

Question on weight loss speed

Community
Notices

Question on weight loss speed

Old 08-03-2010, 03:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default Question on weight loss speed

I joined FitDay and started dieting on July 19, I started at 187 lb and after 15 days I am at 180. I try to eat 1100 kcal a day, but I don't exercise a lot except for some walking because I'm not used to it yet.
Do you think that for how many calories I eat my weigh loss speed is good?
And what can I do to improve it? Do you really think that carbs make a difference?
Thanks!!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default Here's my log

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...a_User=vsabino
Old 08-03-2010, 04:35 AM
FitDay Member

I took a look at a few days, and I would recommend eating more fruits & veggies. Are you hungry? You might need more calories. Some days were less than 1000. I know I wold be starving. I try to exercise most days, and that allows me to eat a bit more than if I didn't exercise.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:42 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for your hint. Do you think that 160g of carbs a day in a 1000 cal/day diet is too much? Yes I am hungry but since it's the first few weeks I wanted to give a boost so i would get motivated to continue
Is 7 lb in the first 2 wks ok or is it too few?
I saw your weight is similar to mine, how many calories a day do you eat and how distributed in terms of carbs/protein/fat?

Starting weight: 187
Current weight: 180
Total lost: 7
Total left: 36
Goal Weight: 144
Started Fitday: July 19, 2010
Total Weeks: 2
Goal Date: December 19, 2010

MyFitDay Log: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...a_User=vsabino
Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 AM
FitDay Member

this diet makes me hungry just looking at it. I for 1 couldnt live on that
Old 08-03-2010, 07:29 AM
FitDay Member

What changes do you guys think I should make?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 AM
FitDay Member

3.5lbs of weight loss is not unreasonable for someone in the early stages of a diet. A general rule is to lose 1 to 2 lbs a week for healthy, sustained weight loss. I looked at your logs and I am concerned that your carb intake is too high and fat and proteins are too low. Especially concerning is the amount of simple carbs that you are ingesting. Things like pasta, Goldfish, Slimfast, and your 90 calorie bars are items you might consider changing for healthier alternatives. Whole wheat pasta for regular pasta,. Almonds (they have healthy fats) for Goldfish, whey protein shakes instead of Slimfast and protein bars instead of your 90 calorie bar.

I see alot of packaged food in your log. That is fine but be aware that typically these contain high amounts of either sodium, fat or simple carbs. Consider grilling or broiling chicken breasts, or other lean meats (add spices like garlic, oregano, lemon pepper or even salsa) for a high protein alternative to your boxed meals.

Lastly, start exercising. A study I read in Muscle & Fitness magazine found that dieters who did not exercise could have as much as 75% of their weight loss from muscle loss. Because muscle is the furnace that drives your metabolism you want to lose fat not just weight. Besides the muscle will make you look better when you are slimmer. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 AM
FitDay Member

Exercising is key to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Dieting is only part of the solution. And your diet needs a lot of changes. Stay away from slim fast and get a real protein shake low in carbs like Isopure. Add more vegies and salads, just careful with the dressings. Adding a weight routine and cardio will energize you and really transform your body. No offense to people that like walking.. but walking is lame, unless its on a steep angle at a high speed.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 PM
FitDay Member

Will try to make the chances you guys suggested, lower the carbs and increase the proteins, will see what happens! Thanks a lot, it's nice to have a community like this.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vsabino
Thanks for your hint. Do you think that 160g of carbs a day in a 1000 cal/day diet is too much? Yes I am hungry but since it's the first few weeks I wanted to give a boost so i would get motivated to continue
Is 7 lb in the first 2 wks ok or is it too few?
I saw your weight is similar to mine, how many calories a day do you eat and how distributed in terms of carbs/protein/fat?
I eat about 1300-1500 calories a day. I am also trying to exercise most days. I've learned a few things from these boards, for example protein powder is great with skim milk to boost my percentage. I make a shake after I exercise. Over the last few weeks, my percentages have been about 27/27/ 46. I'd like to get that closer to 30/30/40, but I'm getting there.

I think 7 pounds in the first 2 weeks is OK, because you've made a huge change to the way you eat. However, your weight loss should slow down to 1-2 pounds a week to be healthy. I like the tips that the other members suggested about more whole grains/ whole foods, instead of packaged/ processed foods. That's been a struggle for me, too.