Notices

Question on Carbs

Old 07-31-2010, 05:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default Question on Carbs

Ok, so I am not going on a low carb diet or anything, but I am trying to stay under 150g. If I have a really bad day where I go crazy overboard on carbs, what should I do the following day? Go back to my normal (under 150g), drink lots of water and hope the water weight leaves quickly or become really strict with the carbs by staying under 75g in order to try and balance out the two days?

Thanks for any advice you may have
Old 07-31-2010, 05:23 AM
FitDay Member

Good for you for already thinking of a back-up plan for days when you can't stay under 150 carbs! It's not possible to be perfect 100% of the time, so it's awesome that you've set your goals, but you're also preparing for when that goal might not be met. Congrats!

For me, I would definitely up the water intake over the following couple of days. I would also lower the carbs over a few days. It doesn't have to be significant if you don't want to or can't, but enough that your average for the week including the "over" day is around 150 per day. Trying to balance out over 2 days might be asking too much of yourself and your body, but balancing out over a week is possible.

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:17 AM
FitDay Member

Hah, brilliant response. I haven't even thought of averages for the week, mostly just daily food goals.

I'll do that, thanks a million
Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

Just pick yourself up and start all over again.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:42 AM
FitDay Member

not trying to tell you how to do this or what to do, but I just have a suggestion.

I looked at your food logs and your calorie intake swings wildly. You could try just aiming for a certain number each day, one that is at a healthy deficit. I noticed on one day you were at 1100 the next 1700 the next 1500 the next 2900, if you were a little more even keeled with it, you'd probably have more success controlling your hunger and making healthy food choices, in turn losing weight off the scale. I always try and plan out a meal on fitday first unless I know it fits into my plan, consistency helps me the most.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:07 AM
FitDay Member

i agree with midwestj. Stay consistent with your daily intake. If you go over on carbs don't wait until the next day to compensate. Just drink more water the same day to dilute the carbs or add more cardio to burn those extra calories.

I like to plan my "cheat day", usually on the weekends and eat whatever i want. This way i can be very strict during the week. But that's just me.

My Blog: Easy Fitness Planner Blog
Old 08-02-2010, 02:07 PM
FitDay Member

Unless you are going for ketosis (less than 50 carbs per day), it shouldn't really cause too much water weight if you only go over by 20-30 grams. However, if you really have a blow out day then just drink up and hit the cardio. You will be able to burn off some of the glycogen you stored from the carbs and that will dump some water.

reducing your carbs to lower levels than normal for your diet probably won't help unless you get into ketosis in which case you will dump water like crazy. Though sometimes it can take a couple of days to even get into ketosis.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:58 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by midwestj
not trying to tell you how to do this or what to do, but I just have a suggestion.

I looked at your food logs and your calorie intake swings wildly. You could try just aiming for a certain number each day, one that is at a healthy deficit. I noticed on one day you were at 1100 the next 1700 the next 1500 the next 2900, if you were a little more even keeled with it, you'd probably have more success controlling your hunger and making healthy food choices, in turn losing weight off the scale. I always try and plan out a meal on fitday first unless I know it fits into my plan, consistency helps me the most.
yea... consistency isn't what I'm best at... at all. It just I go through time periods where I say "whatever right now doesn't count" then the next day I feel guilty so I like turbo charge everything and have deficits at 2000+

I always end up doing better when I plan my meals and workouts before hand... But I normally only do that on turbo charged days. I will try to do that daily