View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
rpmcduff
FitDay Member

A great approach no matter what you call it. I fyou are unwilling to eliminate all simple carbohydrates (like pasta, white bread and white rice) i suggest you substitute whole grain pastas, whole grain or whole wheat breads and brown rice. These, while starting out as wheat and rice the processing is much less. The whole grain products are considered complex carbs versus their white counterparts that are considered simple carbs because they lack the fiber of the whole grain.

Because of the lack of fiber the simple carbs digest much faster and so have a much higher probability of being stored as fat rather than energy (glycogen) for your muscles. If you are going to eat simple carbs try to limit them to immediately after you work out or first thing in the morning when your glycogen supplies are low.

Congratulations on the changes you have already made. I am on a similar journey. I try to center my meals around lean meats and fresh vegetables while limiting simple carbs. (Note I said limiting not eliminating as I don't want to eliminate something I enjoy for the rest of my life.) Like you I don't want the changes I am making to have a end point.

Male, Age 53 Height 5'-11"
Start, Spring 2009....,.. 270.0 lbs
January 21, 2010. ....,...255.0 lbs (Joined Fitday)
September 10, 2010..,..223.8 lbs. (-46.2lbs)
Mini-Goal......................225 Achieved 9/21/2012
Mini-Goal......................220 Achieved 10/26/2012
Current.........................216.2 lbs. (-53.8 lbs)
Mini-Goal.......................215
Goal..............................200

My log: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Owner=rpmcduff
rpmcduff is offline   Reply With Quote