Notices

Low carb & ketosis

Old 08-01-2010, 08:15 PM
FitDay Member

Default Low carb & ketosis

Just to clear up one of the myths about ketosis and low carb diets. Alot of uninformed people think ketosis is bad because they are confusing it with a diabetic's ketoacidosis. It is not the same thing! Your body will be in ketosis on a low carb diet and as long as you don't already have kidney problems *and* drink plenty of water, you'll be fine.

Water is critical. You should be drinking eight 8 oz glasses per day *plus* an additional 8 oz for every 25 pounds you need to lose. The more overweight you are, the faster you'll lose and the more ketones you'll flush through your kidneys.

Let me clear up another myth...the purple ketostix. Please please don't let it run your life as some people let the scale run theirs. If you're drinking enough water, that stick may only turn a very pale purple...or not even turn purple at all because your urine will be so diluted by the water you're drinking...and that's a good thing! I finally learned that if my ketostix turned a deep purple, it was an indication that I wasn't drinking nearly enough.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:22 AM
FitDay Member

Agreed. Also, if you're keeping active, more of those ketones will be used up as fuel and less will have to go through your kidneys. Your brain loves ketones.