View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 02:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
zorba1331
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegefbfan8898 View Post
Are you saying that if one is trying to lose weight, to stay away from oatmeal? It is bad because it converts to sugar? Aren't these complex carbs good for you? Isn't the fiber good for you also? Isn't old fashioned oats better than most breakfast choices out there?

I am a little mixed up now.

Any input would be appreciated.
Quote:
Well, I know to meet my goals, I need to be pretty strict and clean as far as diet goes. I have been trying forever to get my carbs down and my protein way up. I think I will eat things like oatmeal, whole wheat/grain bread, etc. but just eat less of it. That will cut the carbs down a pretty good amount without depriving myself.

Thanks.
Quote:
Thanks heytred for your service to our country.

Thanks for the advice also. I am still interested in cutting carbs somewhat though. I know I had 4 pieces of whole wheat bread this morning with some eggs, ham, and cheese, but I have a big day of push mowing an acre of yard.

Thanks.
Visit this website: Mark's Daily Apple

and read this:

The Definitive Guide to Grains | Mark's Daily Apple

Why Grains Are Unhealthy | Mark's Daily Apple

How to Quit Grains | Mark's Daily Apple

Yes, you should steer clear of grains, if you MUST eat oatmeal in the morning, make sure it is steel cut only.

Quote:
All the websites I checked say oatmeal, oatmeal, oatmeal.
The food industry is very corrupt, misinformed and outdated. Conventional wisdom and 'they' say a lot of things, yet the nation is fat and laden with diet related diseases.

If you use fitday, how many carbs per gram are you consuming per day? 4 slices of whole wheat bread = 49 grams of carbs. I cup of oatmeal is 32 grams of carbs. If you want to lose weight (and be really strict) 50 grams per day is what you ought to strive for. Between 50-100 is more than manageable and will let you still lose weight at a nice healthy rate.

I am not sure of your current diet, but 5 lbs of weight loss in a month is a bit on the slow side. A guy of your size, if eating correctly should be able to drop 2-3 lbs per week.

A friend of mine who was was over 300 lbs has dropped 60 lbs since march 15th. Crossfit 3-4x per week no dietary changes. His weight loss of 3-4 lbs per week has been maintained through Primal eating (no grains or processed foods whatsoever) the last 8 weeks.

Last edited by zorba1331; 07-27-2010 at 02:40 AM.
zorba1331 is offline   Reply With Quote