Notices

Canned Tuna Recipes...

Old 07-21-2010, 01:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default Canned Tuna Recipes...

First off, I am in no way a cook. I am lucky if I can mix my oatmeal correctly (I used to always forget that little bit of salt and that makes a world of difference).

I like canned tuna fine. But I need some more simple recipes. Please nothing with mayo. I have made tuna patties, but an alternative would be nice.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:58 AM
FitDay Member

I eat tuna everyday. I often just upend the can over a garden salad, and squirt a little Italian FF dressing over it. But other days I get more creative and some of my fave recipes are:

Open faced tuna melt

1 can of tuna
1 tsp mustard (any kind will do)
1 tsp pickle relish
1 tsp ff ranch dressing
1.5 oz rf cheese (I usually use colby-jack)
2 slices of toasted 35 calorie/slice bread or crispbread

Stir together tuna and condiments, spread onto toast or crispbread, top with cheese and broil for 2-3 minutes until cheese melts. You can sprinkle a few onions or diced tomato on the top of the cheese, but that's optional

Stuffed Tomato

1 can tuna mixed with 2T FF ranch dressing (or whatever you like on your tuna salad)

I usually core and quarter the tomato, but don't cut all the way through, then spread the quarters out, scoop the tuna on top of the tomato and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika.

Tuna Deviled Eggs

Instead of using the yolks for the stuffing on a deviled egg, use tuna salad.

Tuna and Avocado Wraps

1 avocado, pealed, pitted and sliced
2 oz fat free or rf cream cheese
2T pickle relish
1 can tuna
shredded lettuce and/or alfalfa sprouts
2-3 low fat, low cal, whole grain tortillas
sliced black olives

Stir together the tuna and pickle relish. Spread a thin layer of softened cream cheese on a tortilla, then spread a layer of the tuna-relish mixture, then top with avocado, olives and leafy greens, wrap, slice on a diagonal, and enjoy. For a little more kick add hot banana pepper slices.

Last edited by almeeker; 07-21-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:27 AM
FitDay Member

I'm the same as almeeker here, I eat tuna or other canned fish daily straight over a salad.

You can also try

Tuna pasta salad

Ingredients

1 cup pasta (Shells, elbows, wide noodles, it's up to you)
1 can tuna, drained
1 can peas, drained
1 can carrots, drained
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Mayo, miracle whip, white sauce (whichever and however much you prefer to taste and texture)

Cook the pasta and mix all the Ingredients together
Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 AM
FitDay Member

This is such a great thread... Because I was just wondering the same thing!
That Tuna over toast sounds great! Thanks Almeeker
Old 07-21-2010, 04:46 AM
FitDay Member

I don't know if you guys have Trader Joe's in your area (I'm used to it being everywhere) but they have chunk tuna in olive oil, which works great for omelets because you don't have add any extra oil to the pan and guess at its calories. Plus, it tastes great, though IMO it would diminish the flavor if you made it without the yolks (egg white omelet).
Old 07-21-2010, 07:54 AM
FitDay Member

I like tuna salad over 2 cups of spinach leaves. Here is a tuna salad recipe my hubby and I enjoy.

3-bean tuna salad
1/2 c kidney beans (canned-rinsed and drained)
1/3 c. navy beans (canned-rinsed and drained)
1/3 c. black beans (canned-rinsed and drained)
1/2 c. cubed avocado
1/4 c. green onions (sliced thin)
6oz tuna (drained)

Combine all ingredients with 3 tablespoons of honey-mustard dressing (Make home-made dressing by mixing 1/4 c. flax or olive oil, 1/4 c. low-fat yogurt, 1/2 tsp. minced garlic, 1/2 tbsp honey, 1/2 tsp dijon mustard, and a pinch of paprika).

If you eat it all (my hubby does, and it is a lot!) it is 606 calories, 13.5 g fat, 58.9 g carbs, 62.3 g protein. I only eat half and it is really filling. Because of the carbs in this meal, we only eat it after a workout.

Low-carb option:
1 can tuna
1/2 c. diced tomatoes
1/4 c. diced red onions
1/2 c. shredded carrots
1/2 c. diced cucumber
1/2 avocado
salt, pepper, paprika to taste

Mix with the home-made honey mustard dressing.

Last edited by agarfield; 07-21-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 AM
FitDay Member

I like to take a bag of coleslaw mix, add the tuna and some balsamic vinegar or light Asian dressing, maybe some sliced almonds. You get a large amount of food this way.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:48 AM
FitDay Member

1 can tuna in olive oil, juice from a lemon, 1/2 a teaspoon of capers. Stick it in the magic bullet (or just mix it up well).

Use artichoke leaves (boiled) for dipping with or put it on romaine lettuce hearts.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 AM
FitDay Member

I like to use a sesame ginger dressing and some organic apple cider vinegar instead of mayo or anything. I add usually add edemame (even more protein!), onion, and whatever else I have. I'll add celery, shredded carrot or broccoli stalks.
Another one I like is black olives, onion, artichokes (in water, not marinated in oil), fresh tomato, pepperoncini, maybe a little feta if I have it, just with some spices and mixed.
I'll also go classic but sub brown spicy mustard for mayo, and dill relish for sweet,
Old 08-11-2010, 04:22 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I eat tuna everyday. I often just upend the can over a garden salad, and squirt a little Italian FF dressing over it. But other days I get more creative and some of my fave recipes are:

Open faced tuna melt

1 can of tuna
1 tsp mustard (any kind will do)
1 tsp pickle relish
1 tsp ff ranch dressing
1.5 oz rf cheese (I usually use colby-jack)
2 slices of toasted 35 calorie/slice bread or crispbread

Stir together tuna and condiments, spread onto toast or crispbread, top with cheese and broil for 2-3 minutes until cheese melts. You can sprinkle a few onions or diced tomato on the top of the cheese, but that's optional

Stuffed Tomato

1 can tuna mixed with 2T FF ranch dressing (or whatever you like on your tuna salad)

I usually core and quarter the tomato, but don't cut all the way through, then spread the quarters out, scoop the tuna on top of the tomato and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika.

Tuna Deviled Eggs

Instead of using the yolks for the stuffing on a deviled egg, use tuna salad.

Tuna and Avocado Wraps

1 avocado, pealed, pitted and sliced
2 oz fat free or rf cream cheese
2T pickle relish
1 can tuna
shredded lettuce and/or alfalfa sprouts
2-3 low fat, low cal, whole grain tortillas
sliced black olives

Stir together the tuna and pickle relish. Spread a thin layer of softened cream cheese on a tortilla, then spread a layer of the tuna-relish mixture, then top with avocado, olives and leafy greens, wrap, slice on a diagonal, and enjoy. For a little more kick add hot banana pepper slices.
your recipes sound really yummy, would you happen to know how many calories that open faced tuna sandwich is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.