View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Shell250
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkerekes View Post
I'd say cut out all sugar and refined carbs. Once you've settled into low carb mode (this is the hardest part), the experience of hunger changes completely. Without swings in blood glucose, and with cellular adaptation towards fatty acid metabolism, the 'sick' sort of hunger that most people think of as hunger goes away. I find that I can arbitrarily fast for up to 18 hours with no discomfort whatsoever. That was never the case before I stopped eating sugar and grains.

Replace those calories with saturated and monounsaturated fats (i.e. heavy cream or half-and-half instead of milk, eggs fried in butter or bacon fat instead of vegetable oil, plenty of olive oil-based dressings, avocados), and you won't believe the difference.
Interesting Fkerekes. Thanks for posting that, it makes alot of sense. Over the past few weeks I have cut way back on my sugar and even moreso on my carbs (I used to eat alot of carbs..), and noticed a difference already in that 'hungry' feeling. I feel more satisfied by adding a higher amount of protein to my diet.

"Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can." - unknown
Shell250 is offline   Reply With Quote