Notices

Quit smoking..

Old 06-17-2010, 12:50 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Quit smoking..

Hi everyone, so I decided to quit smoking June 1, 2010 and so far so good! So here I am 17 days in and I put on 10lbs...

I know, I know most people when they quit smoking put on weight, but I am very cautious about what I am eating, in fact I cut back 3 cups of coffee (cream and sugar) to 1 cup and you would think that at least would drop 1 lb, but nope not for me!

I have issues with food, I do eat healthy and I am convinced my problem with weight is because I am not eating enough, so my body goes into starvation mode! Has anyone dealt with this?? I have NO appetite, NEVER have hunger pains, I have to force myself to eat what I do eat. Portion control is not an issue, I prepare my daily food/snacks in the morning for when I am at work. I do not eat out often, fast foods or restaurants, do not have a sweet tooth. I just need some advice PLEASE if anyone can help I would sooooooo appreciate it very much!

Thanks for reading,
Drop30lbs
Old 06-18-2010, 09:06 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Don't let the pounds get to you.

I quit several years ago and did a ton of research before, during and after. Some people will pick up pounds just from the change in body chemistry in the absence of nicotine. If you haven't changed your eating habits the weight should peels right back off again in a couple months as you get used to the nicotine-less metabolism.

As I am sure you know nicotine is a stimulent. So going without it will have an effect on your energy and energy reserves. Again, if you are otherwise healthy and moderatel active your body will adjust over time. Furthermore, once the cigarettes are out of your system you will have much more stamina for any kind of activity. That too will help you loose that pesky extra pounds.

Good luck, quitting is the best thing you can do for yourself.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:42 PM
FitDay Member

Hi, I am in the process of trying to quit myself. So far it has been to no avail, but I have researched it in advance and I know when I do hold back from smoking, I go into a mini depression which curtails my eating. So, a one a day pack use, causes the burning of about 200 cals a day which isn't that significant but over the course of three weeks that would be over a pound that would not ordinarily be burned and would be a gain if no change were made to eating habits. Ten pounds sounds like a little much. From the info I read, a seven pound or so gain over a few months is normal. Think back to before you quit and now. Is there a difference in your activity level and eating habits. It sounds like you may be correct in your thinking that you are not eating enough. When you quit smoking, the best thing to do is a detox and that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables and if you can't tolerate not having meat--small portions. Try a small bannana a day to improve your mood. They have the "B" vitamins in them which are known for helping smokers to quit.

And lastly, I am proud of you. I will be glad when I get the will power that you have, but thirty-five years is a long time.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:19 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you both for your replies I feel cleaner without the smokes.. and for anyone who really wants to quit.. one day at a time OH and gum let it be your bestest friend! It has been a transition indeed my sleep pattern has definitely changed, and yeah my mood.. well let's say alot of reminder for the month of June probably not the best time to quit BUT will not give in.

This is the strange thing, the weight that I have put on does not seem to show on my body..so hopefully it will just drop off with time. I will continue to monitor what I eat..and I have a doctors appointment on Thursday so IF the scale continues to move up I will address this with my doctor. LOL or blame it on the scale

I have a writing journal and nothing has changed witht he exception of less coffee. I will continue to monitor this. Again thank you both for your words of encouragement..and praise for quitting smoking.. hey Jody.. do not give up.. I had been saying for a few months that I wanted to quit but only smoked more. For me, it was a combination of the wanting to and hearing my son tell me he loved me too.. it was that moment that I said..time to quit and today it has been 18 days and counting.

Okay so back to the subject of the weight gain, this site seems to be great and maybe this is just what I need, the interaction, the feedback, the understanding.. hope to make it to the success side and share my stories to inspire others.. pounds to lose 30
Old 06-18-2010, 03:09 PM
FitDay Member

Well this is not my usual group but sometimes I go through and see which ones I can reply to that are pertinent to me, when there are no replies or a low amount of replies. Now that you have received a few answers, perhaps you can join the 30 pounds club. And for all these years I have been a pack a day smoker at my highest, but trying to quit just makes me think about it more and there is a corner store right here. I've taken the classes. Tried the patch which made me itch like crazy. I quit once for six weeks but when my dog died, I used that as an excuse to start. I chewed gum and that worked. I have to get myself in that mode.

So, I probably won't be back here again. I wish you luck and stay blessed with the little one.

Jay
Old 06-19-2010, 08:53 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Jay, well I wish you only the best! Good luck and thank you
Old 07-25-2010, 03:54 AM
FitDay Member

To all of you trying to quit smoking and those who recently have. CONGRATS and YOU CAN DO IT!!!
I smoked for 30 years and the old adage is true, most people tend to gain about a lb for every year that they smoked. I was no exception. I quit 8 years ago and slowly 30 lbs crept on. I was always quite small, averaged 110 lbs but about 3 months ago I was at about 150.

I also turned 50 this year. I have decided to make a life change as far as the way I eat and exercise. I joined Fitday 2 months ago and over 3 months of limiting my calories and logging in everything, I am at 129lbs.

Whatever you do, no matter how much weight you gain, DO NOT GO BACK TO SMOKING! Trust me, even with the extra weight you will breath easier and feel better. The weight will come off.

Be very proud of yourselves for quitting or trying to!!
Old 07-25-2010, 09:27 PM
FitDay Member

Today is my third week off smokes so I'm in the same boat as you. Keep it up and don't worry about the weight. It'll come right back off.

I've gone to the doc to get help. I figure if I have to be accountable to someone for what I stick in my mouth, I might actually beat this monkey off my back. So far so good. Doc's got me using this nicorette inhalator. (Not sure if avail in the US.) WOW, does it work. Feels just like smoking so when around friends that still smoke I can clamp my teeth on this thing and not get all bent outta shape or have to leave for fear of mugging a friend for their smoke. Works the charm!

Good luck.
kat
Old 07-26-2010, 06:41 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats on quitting!!

I smoked about a pack a day for 4 years or so, and then this year around New Year's, I ran out...and I just didn't feel like buying another pack. I gave up, cold turkey. It was terrible, let me tell you! But each day that I went without a cigarette, I felt more and more obligated to continue my "new life." I felt guilty thinking about having one after all the struggling I'd done to quit.

Now it's almost August and I do not miss them one bit. I am a billion times happier and healthier, and I can BREATHE.

And thank goodness, I really didn't gain much weight after quitting. I'd say probably 5 or 6 pounds, which I've taken off. Now to lose the OTHER weight that I've gained (I was squishy before I quit smoking) hahaha