Notices

hypothyroidism and weight loss!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:43 AM
FitDay Member

Question hypothyroidism and weight loss!

HEy everyone! i am new to this new lifestyle, my health is in great danger, and would like to get my life on track. What are some great tips you can give me for eating and excersizing with hypothyroidism??? Looking for anything that can help! (open to anything, including supplements like minerals and vitamins as well)
Old 07-21-2010, 12:36 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Tasha, I also am new & have hypothyroidism. I am curious to learn what others have to say.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

what did your doctor suggest? I assume you are already medicated and regulated, correct? If so, shouldn't you be able to carry on with a normal lifestyle?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:51 AM
FitDay Member

I too have hypothyroidism. I had to have my thyroid removed last year due to tumors. I do any exercise my body will let me lol. I do watch my soy intake. High soy and high fiber content foods messes with my thyroid medication, so I avoid protein shakes and bars with soy. I still eat vegetables with high fiber, just not commercial food products. Also, you may want to take your calcium supplement at night because it can interact with medication (if you take one). I do eat a good breakfast in the mornings because it jump starts your metabolism. Also, green tea and ice water with lemons increases metabolism some as well. It has been a battle, but I have lost 8 lbs in a month. Good luck to you. Hope this helps. Let me know if you would like support on this.

Ultimate Goal Weight: 120 - 130 lbs.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:47 PM
FitDay Member

Default I too have Hypothyroidism

I was dxd with Hypothyroidism 4.5 years ago and take 112mcg of Synthroid now. I gained 40 lbs since then and that is what I am trying to lose. I weighed 180 5ft 5 in, and in the past 2 weeks I have lost 7lbs so I am 173.

I also have IBS-d and since I hit Menopause, I am having problems all the time. SO, dr put me on Levbid and that is helping. Also, she wants me to stay away from milk products and take soy and increase my fiber intake. I also found out that I am vitamin d deficient so I am taking rx strength Vitamin D.

Other supplements I am now taking are Flaxseed Oil, and Preservision (family history of macular degeneration) and a daily vitamin. I am not taking any others until I see my dr in 6 months.

As far as exercise, I take my dog for a brisk 30 minute walk once per day minimum but sometimes twice. I also go for a walk first thing in the am. Just helps to get that out of the way before the day gets too busy.

Linda

Last edited by 2359; 07-24-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:02 AM
FitDay Member

Hello, fellow member that was diagnosed with a hypothyroid @14 y/o. My highest weight was 260, I am now 180. I'm taking 0.175mg.

You're looking at the same approach to weight loss as anyone else, besides the fact that you should consume little to no Soy products and try to keep cauliflower and broccoli to a minimum. You should still eat them because they're extremely healthy and full of vitamins and proteins.

You will need to consume slightly less calories then the average person. I would go with 150 to 200 calories less then any website recommends you to. After that if you don't lose weight keep reducing the calories in increments of 50 until you're losing 1 to 2 lbs a week. You should be taking a multi-vitamin and good quality fish oils.

Lift weights 3 days a week, do cardio 2-3 days a week and eat as healthy as possible, consume lots of protein and stay within your allotted calorie amount and the weight will come off.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

I am also hypothyroid due to tumors. My meds have regulated my levels and hopefully will continue to do so. My endocrinologist monitors my levels closely. He knows what my normal diet is. He said to take my meds in the morning about an hour before I eat.

I am a vegetarian and eat a diet high in soy and fiber. I eat cauliflower often since it is my favorite veggie. I do not take any supplements.

I find that processed, carb loaded foods make me feel sluggish, tired and bloated. Kind of how I felt before my thyroid was regulated with meds. I usually skip those aisles when food shopping.

Once my thyroid was regulated I was able to lose most of the weight I had gained from my thyroid through healthy eating and regular cardio/ lifting.

I lost 6 pounds (that looked like 20 since I lost that "puffy" look untreated hypothyroidism causes) and I lost 2 jean sizes in the first 4 months.

Gaining weight from hypothyroidism sucks but once it is regulated you can lose it. You just have to do it the old fashioned way, making healthy food choices and being active.