Notices

Amount of Sugar Per Day...

Old 07-21-2010, 03:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default Amount of Sugar Per Day...

I only eat sugar when I have to add a little sweet to something. I am not a big fan of these fake sweeteners. I am curious when trying to lose weight, how much sugar can one afford to have each day?

I don't eat sugary treats, drinks, cereals, etc. However I do add 2-3 tsps. of sugar to my oatmeal each morning. Is this okay with trying to lose weight?

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:51 AM
FitDay Member

2-3 tsp sugar makes a dent in competitive bodybuilder's physiques on show day, not for reg'lar folks like us. Just for perspective, that sugar is going to be processed through your gut within about 15 minutes, gone where it needs to go in about 30 (in the morning, probably your brain), and the metabolites start clearing your body by the time you go to the bathroom right before you leave for school or work.

Unless you had a serious sweet tooth I wouldn't worry about a couple tsp early in the morning. Just keep in mind that oatmeal, even if it's not sweet, pretty much gets converted to pure sugar (aside from its fiber and protein constituent) in your gut; I eat mine plain with a little vanilla protein powder and a dash of cinnamon for flavor instead of adding sugar/honey to keep total carbs down.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:39 PM
FitDay Member

Are you saying that if one is trying to lose weight, to stay away from oatmeal? It is bad because it converts to sugar? Aren't these complex carbs good for you? Isn't the fiber good for you also? Isn't old fashioned oats better than most breakfast choices out there?

I am a little mixed up now.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:58 AM
FitDay Member

For me, I only eat oatmeal after a morning workout since my body is more carb tolerant after I exercise. It is whole grain and good for you but it does turn to sugar and is processed quickly since it is a carb. After a workout, your body needs those carbs more. Have you tried sweetening it with a little unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon. Also, mixing protein powder in it is good too and helps balance out the meal.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

Isn't oatmeal a relatively slow digesting carb? I mean we are talking oats here out of a box or can, with no other ingredients added to them by any factories.

Now, if we were talking white flour as in donuts, muffins, etc. I might be in agreement more so. All the websites I checked say oatmeal, oatmeal, oatmeal.

I drink my protein shake with my oatmeal. I am not a big fan of mixing protein powder in my oats.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:53 AM
FitDay Member

Oatmeal is a slower-digesting carb than pure sugar, yes, but after it goes through your gut it's broken down into pure glucose, which inevitable ends up in the bloodstream. Fiber is good for you, yes, and I never said that oatmeal was bad in and of itself. However, I personally wouldn't add any sugar since all of the carb in it (aside from the fiber) will still get converted to sugar in the body eventually.

The only reason complex carbs are said to be good for you is because of all the vitamins and minerals and fiber they come along with in the foods in which they are found. If you extracted the complex carbs out of the oats, yams, beans, etc., and ate them alone, they would be no better for you than table sugar or potato starch.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:41 PM
FitDay Member

Well, I know to meet my goals, I need to be pretty strict and clean as far as diet goes. I have been trying forever to get my carbs down and my protein way up. I think I will eat things like oatmeal, whole wheat/grain bread, etc. but just eat less of it. That will cut the carbs down a pretty good amount without depriving myself.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:23 PM
FitDay Member

If you are measuring your macros, more specifically carbs, as long as your sugar intake keeps you within those numbers it's not going to be a problem. At the end of the days it's a carb, it's a calorie and if you stay within your defecit and meet that macro, it's not really going to matter too much.

Now obviously not eating it/replacing it with a lower GI carb is going to benefit you more, but the way I look at it, don't worry about that 2-3 tbsp.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:34 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks heytred for your service to our country.

Thanks for the advice also. I am still interested in cutting carbs somewhat though. I know I had 4 pieces of whole wheat bread this morning with some eggs, ham, and cheese, but I have a big day of push mowing an acre of yard.

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:21 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by collegefbfan8898
Are you saying that if one is trying to lose weight, to stay away from oatmeal? It is bad because it converts to sugar? Aren't these complex carbs good for you? Isn't the fiber good for you also? Isn't old fashioned oats better than most breakfast choices out there?

I am a little mixed up now.

Any input would be appreciated.
Well, I know to meet my goals, I need to be pretty strict and clean as far as diet goes. I have been trying forever to get my carbs down and my protein way up. I think I will eat things like oatmeal, whole wheat/grain bread, etc. but just eat less of it. That will cut the carbs down a pretty good amount without depriving myself.

Thanks.
Thanks heytred for your service to our country.

Thanks for the advice also. I am still interested in cutting carbs somewhat though. I know I had 4 pieces of whole wheat bread this morning with some eggs, ham, and cheese, but I have a big day of push mowing an acre of yard.

Thanks.
Visit this website: Mark's Daily Apple

and read this:

The Definitive Guide to Grains | Mark's Daily Apple

Why Grains Are Unhealthy | Mark's Daily Apple

How to Quit Grains | Mark's Daily Apple

Yes, you should steer clear of grains, if you MUST eat oatmeal in the morning, make sure it is steel cut only.

All the websites I checked say oatmeal, oatmeal, oatmeal.
The food industry is very corrupt, misinformed and outdated. Conventional wisdom and 'they' say a lot of things, yet the nation is fat and laden with diet related diseases.

If you use fitday, how many carbs per gram are you consuming per day? 4 slices of whole wheat bread = 49 grams of carbs. I cup of oatmeal is 32 grams of carbs. If you want to lose weight (and be really strict) 50 grams per day is what you ought to strive for. Between 50-100 is more than manageable and will let you still lose weight at a nice healthy rate.

I am not sure of your current diet, but 5 lbs of weight loss in a month is a bit on the slow side. A guy of your size, if eating correctly should be able to drop 2-3 lbs per week.

A friend of mine who was was over 300 lbs has dropped 60 lbs since march 15th. Crossfit 3-4x per week no dietary changes. His weight loss of 3-4 lbs per week has been maintained through Primal eating (no grains or processed foods whatsoever) the last 8 weeks.

Last edited by zorba1331; 07-26-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.