Notices

Carb-Aholics

Old 07-14-2010, 05:51 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Carb-Aholics

Hello and welcome to C.A!

My name is MHibdon and I'm a carbaholic. I am addicted to consuming carbohydrates in the worst possible fashion and am here to rely upon my fellow carb lovers for their advice and tricks to keep from giving into the cravings!

I'd love to hear your stories and advice so let's hear it! Don't be shy, accepting that you have a problem is the first step to fixing it!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:38 AM
FitDay Member

Hello fellow Carb-Aholic!

I have a great love for pizza, and the way I've found to get around this without falling for a family stuffed crust margarita is to make Pizza Toast.
Basically, brown 2 slices of brown/wholemeal bread on one side. The turn over and put on a thin layer of Tomato puree, and some lower-fat cheese (sparingly).
I also add some red onion or spring onion, a sprinkle of mixed herb and some quartered cherry tomatoes.
Gorgeous! And you won't feel anywhere near as guilty afterward!

(If anyone knows how to make chocolate brownies less evil, please let me know!!! )
Old 07-14-2010, 08:26 AM
FitDay Member

That is a fabulous recipe! I'm totally going to try it tonight! Though how on earth can you be sparing with your cheese?!

I think if you can ever find a weight watcher recipe book they have a brownie option. I remember my aunt made these to-die-for pumpkin cupcakes that were only around 50 calories each! I'll call her and post the recipe as soon as possible!~
Old 07-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

They featured these brownies on Losing It with Jillian last night but I haven't tried them...but you know if it's her recipe, it's got to be good for you!

Losing It With Jillian - NBC Site

I also had a bag of whole wheat flour that had a link to recipes, but I dumped the flour in a container and don't have the bag. Try Googling Gold Medal whole wheat flour and see if it comes up.

Love the pizza idea...I usually use whole wheat pitas and use low fat cheese; then I don't have to be quite as sparing .
Old 07-14-2010, 11:55 AM
FitDay Member

Hello, my name is Amy and I'm a carbaholic, I was born this way. I became aware of carbaholism about 5-6 years ago when our oldest was diagnosed with food allergies. I read an article on dealing with wheat/carbohydrate withdrawl that many people on the GF diet have to deal with, and essentially discovered that I'm a textbook carbaholic. On a list of 30 symptoms, I exhibit 28-29 of them - seriously. I felt like the author of that article knew me as well as my own mother, maybe even a little better...

I've been making pizza with slim buns, you just open them up, spread some pizza sauce on it, then some cheese. I try to use just an ounce of reduced fat cheese for 2 halves, which is about 1/4 cup shredded. Then top it with mushrooms, turkey pepperoni, bacon bits, peppers, etc etc, pop it under the broiler for like 1-2 minutes and ta-da, guiltless pizza. One of the ladies on the 100 pound thread uses portabella mushroom caps brushed with olive oil for the crust, but I haven't tried that yet, slimbuns are um cheaper. We call them "pizza buns" at our house. I've also used whole grain pita bread and whole wheat flour tortillas for the crust. But seriously, any thing sort of flat that can hold sauce and cheese (sauce optional) is fair game here in my kitchen.

My absolute worst temptations are ice cream, brownies, chocolate and Italian. So an entire culture of cuisine is on my "weakness" list. Wow, how sad is that? I also love Mexican food, but that's much easier to make healthy versions of. I make a darn good sanora omelet, which I serve with whole grain tortillas. Basically it's an egg white omelet stuffed with shredded chicken, salsa and rf cheese, then topped with a little more cheese and diced tomato. Sooooo yummy, well I gotta go there are eggs in the fridge calling to me.....

Last edited by almeeker; 07-16-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

Not sure I'm a CA by textbook, but wanted to offer a few of my carb-reducing alternatives. I'm a fan of the chips and dip or salsa, so I've switched off the chips and use veggies. Salsa and celery and hummus with carrots (or cauliflower) are my favs.

I also tend to make chicken or tuna salad and add in a few beans for some fiber, but drop the bread or buns and just eat the mixture without any accompaying carbs.

I go for sweet potatoes when I need some carbs because I just think they're so delicious, and yes it means no brown sugar or marshmallows!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:17 PM
FitDay Member

I don't have any specific carb that kills me... I just like them all. My favorite meals are steak and backed potato with french bread. So I have a lot of trouble eliminating the carbs as well. They just make meals so much better.

But I have found that if I make something very filling (like an egg white omelet with lots of turkey and ham) and just a have a slice of bread that you nibble on throughout the meal (as opposed to eating it more like a sandwich) it makes me feel like I'm getting a whole lot more carb than I actually am.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:08 PM
FitDay Member

Oh, I love this thread and so want in on it. I'm a carboholic, too, and am slowly coming up with ways to not go so crazy on the bread and crackers (my weaknesses...well, a couple of them ). As someone else mentioned, hummus has been so very helpful in eating less in general and definitely in eating less carbs. Pitas are good and not nearly as carb-heavy as the breads I used to eat. I also really like Wasa crackers - 'crisp bread' they call them, but they're really like multi-grain 'weird crackers,' as I call them. Anyway, they have a decent amount of fiber and 2 of em with hummus can satisfy my carb craving without causing a double-take at my pie chart at the end of the day.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:08 AM
FitDay Member

The last time I went shopping for crispbread I found a brand called "Kavli". They are very thin, but tasty. I think a small box has like 20 crackers in it, they are close in size to the Wasa crackers and 3 whole Kavli crackers have 50 calories and they are whole grain!!! I bought a box of the "garlic" flavored and a box of "8 grain". I just finished the box of garlic, and they were surprisingly good with tuna salad and just about perfect with egg salad. Tomorrow morning I'll be breaking out the 8 grain, which I think have a few more calories each, like maybe 60 calories for 3 crackers. I found the Kavli while looking for Akmak crackers. I used to buy them when I was dieting in college, but I can't seem to find them anymore. Too bad cause they were super yummy.

Wannabefitgrl, I love love love sweet potatoes too. So much in fact that I grow them in my garden, how crazy is that? I "candy" mine with a tiny drizzle of maple syrup (the real stuff), and then I sprinkle the top with pecans and dried cranberries (or cherries). Supposedly maple syrup is better for you than white sugar. I don't really know if that's true or not, but my family makes maple syrup so I get mine pretty cheap.

Last edited by almeeker; 07-16-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 AM
FitDay Member

*bowing head in shame* I, too, am a carboholic. I am here to read about ways to wean myself from carbs slowly. Don't get me started on my chocolate issue. Brownies, ice cream, Hershey w/Almond (dark chocolate) candy bar, etc., etc., etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.