Notices

new here

Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 AM
FitDay Member

Default new here

Hello, I've just joined today and thought I should say hi first. It's so great to see how supportive everybody is and I'm glad I found FitDay.

I'm 5'4 and 165lb. I want to be 130lb by December. I lost 20lb last year but eating just potatoes which I guess wasn't the smartest thing to do. hehe. This time, I am just simply counting calories. I need to cut out 1000calories/day and I keep my calory intake around 1100/day so I've been having a hard time finding slim food. Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by Julzlo; 07-16-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:18 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Julz, 35lbs by December is a reasonable and achievable target. I have lost a bit more than that since Jan. I try to avoid processed foods and white foods as much as possible, I eat a lot of fish, chicken, fruit and vegetables. Oh, and drink lots and lots of water, whatever you do! Good luck with it
Old 07-18-2010, 12:32 AM
FitDay Member

If you're having trouble keeping to 1100 calories, you might try adding in some exercise, then you can afford to eat a little more and still lose.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:45 AM
FitDay Member

1100 calories seems a but low to sustain healthy eating habits while losing weight. I know I would be biting peoples faces off because I'd always be hungry.

If you're eating a good balance of complex carbs (lots of fiber) and lean proteins with a small amount of healthy fats I would think bumping that up to around 1500-1600 calories a day would be a much more healthier choice.

Remember, a diet isn't meant to be something we do short term to lose some weight. It's meant to be how we eat healthy for the rest of our lives.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:53 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone. I agree that I need to make the healthy decision here. The main reason for me to be on this diet is so that I can be more healthy.

I'm really new at this so I chose to eat lots of boiled veggies with salt and hard boiled eggs for the last couple of days because they seem fairly "safe". I am not hungry but I do crave eating a proper meal. hehe...

I have a really bad back so can anyone suggest some good workout?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:44 AM
FitDay Member

For a bad back, the best thing to do is swim. If you don't want to swim laps, find a water aerobics class. If you are new back to exercising joining a class is good because it forces you to be there at a specific time.

Biking is another option. Your gym might have recumbent bikes that would help your back.

I've read articles about people with bad backs who lift weights which end up strengthening the back and getting rid of back pain. That might be something you would want to try with a trainer or physical therapist.

Eat normal meals and not the "diet food" you have been eating. Just try to eat less of it. For example, try to eat about half of what you would like to eat. You won't feel so deprived and you will be able to stick with the diet longer.

Good luck.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:07 AM
FitDay Member

I find the key to success is being able to provide as much variety into your diet as possible. Flavor is important too. It's easy to get bored when dieting to lose weight so you really gotta put some interesting flavors on your plate. Tonight for dinner I made pork chops seasoned with Mrs. dash with brown rice and mixed veggies. Tomm. I'm going to make a chili turkey burger on a whole wheat roll.

Herbs, seasonings and spices will become your friend. Invest in a good low calorie cookbook too. Just be careful though because you'll cook more then what a serving is so don't eat it all in one sitting. Good thing though is you can freeze the leftovers for a quick meal later on.

Another good piece of advice is to plan your meals out in advance. The journal and food log is a great place to plan things out and keep track of what you eat.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:26 AM
FitDay Member

I started out at 164.5 pounds on January 7,2010 and I am now currently at 130.5 pounds...so a lose of 34 pounds. I used the weight goal feature on this website and it gave me how many calories that I should be eatting based on my starting weight and daily activity. I highly recommend that you use this feature. Only eatting 1100 calories a day is way too low and you will not lose weight if your body is not getting enough fuel to run. I am on a 1600 calorie diet, which the site suggested for me and it has worked! I reached my goal by June 13, 2010 of 135 pounds and since then I have lost another 4.5 pounds. Also if you have back problems...a pool is very good exercise and walking is great too! Good luck!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:54 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Julzlo
Thanks everyone. I agree that I need to make the healthy decision here. The main reason for me to be on this diet is so that I can be more healthy.

I'm really new at this so I chose to eat lots of boiled veggies with salt and hard boiled eggs for the last couple of days because they seem fairly "safe". I am not hungry but I do crave eating a proper meal. hehe...

I have a really bad back so can anyone suggest some good workout?

Thanks a bunch.
Congratulations on taking the first steps toward a healthier you. I would encourage you to take a long term approach to your diet. While there is nothing wrong with boiled vegetables and eggs, is that a diet you can sustain for the rest of your life or even for the time it takes to achieve your weight loss goals?

I have taken the approach that I am undertaking a new lifestyle and not just a diet. I try to limit my simple carbs (anything with white flour or sugar), keep my protein at 30% of my calories and get most of my carbs from fresh fruits and vegetables. Don't get caught in the low fat myth. Fat has been shown to satiate hunger (besides the fact your body needs it for things like nutrient transport and nerve function).