View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sierraslim
FitDay Member

HI, Cinnamon! I'm new to dieting, too -- at least new to just trying to eat a semi-normal diet and count calories instead of whatever the latest fad is. Something that really helped me get an idea for what to eat was that I just googled "1200-calorie menus." (1200 calories per day is my aim; you could probably change the number to however many you want.) Up popped a lot of sites to go to where you can see meals and snacks totaling 1200 calories. You don't have to follow them exactly, if there's something you don't like you can substitute it for something else with the same number of calories. But it's a good start in seeing what you can eat for a number of calories.

I think many dieters tend to wait until the last minute to decide what to eat, and then eat the wrong thing in a hurry because they're starving. It really helps me to plan a week's menus in advance from the web sites above. That way, I can make sure I have the right groceries to cook whatever I'm having, and it eliminates bad last-minute choices in eating.

Other than just googling what you want as above, the sites that have helped me most are this one (FitDay), CalorieKing.com (where you can find the calories and nutrient stats for almost any food), and Hungry Girl, which is an AWESOME site for changing fattening recipes to more dietetic ones.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your journey.
Sierraslim is offline   Reply With Quote