Notices

This sounds bad but...

Old 07-08-2010, 10:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default This sounds bad but...

I need to lose 2-5 pounds as quickly as possible.
The thing is, my insurance is requiring me to loose 15lbs in order to receive the Lap Band. (really silly. tell someone that has weight loss issues to loose weight so they can get the help they need)

I started out at 283, I am now at 270. For the past week, I have been as high as 273 and as low as 268. I need to be at 267
I can not for the life of me loose those 3 or 4 pounds.

I have tried ex-lax, lots of prunes, cherries, etc.
Does anyone have a quick (bad) remedy.

Thanks

Chris
Old 07-08-2010, 10:33 AM
FitDay Member

Other than the obvious of cutting down food intake, you might want to ask your medical doctor for some diaretics. (Water pills). If it is just water weight that keeps going up and down, that will do it.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 AM
FitDay Member

low carb diet and high intensity cardio
Old 07-08-2010, 11:36 AM
FitDay Member

Have you tried a low-fat, low-carb, high protein diet, and maintaining a calorie deficit of 500-1000 calories per day? I've lost more than 80 pounds since Christmas doing just that. I average between 1,350-1,650 calories per day, keep my calorie pie chart as close to 40% carbs, 40% proteins and 20% good fats per day as I can (some days are better than others). I drink 96 ounces of water (hopefully) everyday and 6 out of 7 days a week I put in a 1 hour workout, mostly cardio, but also weights 2X a week (my goal is an 800 calorie burn for the whole workout).

I hate to rain on your parade, but I have 3 close friends/relatives who've had the lap-band procedure. At first I actually considered getting it done myself, so I watched what happened with all of them very closely. Unfortunately all 3 of them are much heavier now then they were when they had the procedure. The only difference I've noticed is that they vomit all the time.

I suspect the 15 pound requirement is to see if you can follow a diet of any kind for any length of time, because once you have the procedure you are on a diet for the rest of your life. I could be way off base on that one, I don't know. The procedure is reversible yes, but many insurance companies won't pay for the removal of the device unless you have a life threatening situation develop because of it.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker is correct about lapband. I also have a few friends who have had it done, lost a lot of weight initially, and then over the following year, put back more than they lost in total.

I also considered it and went to the info session. It is a total committment process. It isnt like most surgeries where you just show up and there you are. There are months and months of pre-requisites and hoops to jump through. If you finally get to the point where they will actually perform the procedure, for about a month before the surgery, you will only be drinking protein shakes. For almost 4 weeks after, you will only be drinking liquids and then pureed foods.. and then, when you finally get back to solid foods.. you must really think about this part... FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE... you can eat 3 meals of a total of 2 ounces of food. Forever. If you decide you can just 'cheat' once.. you will be in the bathroom vomitting or, if you dont chew whatever food you are having sufficiently, you will be in the ER wishing you never had this done. Oh yes, you can easily stretch it out and just constantly snack and munch, but then, whats the purpose of it.

One other thing ... there is a whole list of things you can never
eat again. And the reason isnt that they are unhealthy necessarily, but because the new opening in your stomach is (I believe they said) 1/4 inch, and so seeds, nuts, things with seeds that could get stuck will never be allowed again.

Oh one more thing about it, not food related... for weeks before the surgery, you have to give yourself shots of blood thinners. I dont know about you, but thats something I just cant deal with.

After I got out of that meeting, I went home and thought about it all and decided, I will take the 9 - 12 months I would have to be jumping through hoops to get the surgery, and make an honest effort at doing it myself with diet and exercise and see where I get.

But if you do decide to go that route, then good luck to you, I hope it works for you in the long run.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:47 AM
FitDay Member

Cool Sorry

Just had to rebutt to this post...I had lap-band on 6/9/10. The surgeon suggested a two week pre-surgery diet to reduce the liver to make it easier to get thru the fat. I was on clear liquids for 2 days post surgery, liquids for a day or so, then moved to soft food 5 days after surgery. Also, there was no months of prep for my surgery. I am a month post op, have lost 23 lbs, and am using the tool I received to help me eat right and be healthy for the rest of my life.

The bottom line is, if thinking about lap band or any other bariatric surgery, as with most things, shop around. The surgery does require a complete life style change...my doc's office also provides nutritional and psychological counseling each visit.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:01 AM
FitDay Member

Glad that wherever you went didnt require all those requirements. I was only reporting what info I got from a Center of Excellence rated hospital ( U of C ).. and they have the highest success rate in my area. So perhaps it depends where you go, and what steps your insurance requires. As you said, it is still a very drastic lifestyle change, so the more support you have, the better.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:44 AM
FitDay Member

I think the pre-surgery requirements do vary, depending where you go, who does the procedure and exactly which device you get. The people I know who have had the procedure had to lose 40 pounds in order to qualify. They all lost like 40 before and then maybe another 20-25 after. It was 5-6 years ago when they started all this, and now they are all heavier than they were before they lost the initial 40 pounds. They have had different problems since the procedure, but the vomiting seems to be across the board. Also none of them can eat vegetables unless it's vegetable juice. One of them talked to his doctor about having the device removed and found out that his insurance won't pay for the procedure, so it would cost $10,000 out of pocket to get it done. Another one can't eat bread of any kind without vomiting.

At one point I brought it up with my doctor and she said I would probably be a good candidate for the procedure, but ethically speaking she just couldn't bring herself to recommend it. My doc is a rather intense athlete, so as you can imagine she's all about diet and exercise. She did however, give me the name of another doctor doing the procedure.

Truthfully I think the lab-band folks I know have all failed at this is because they went and got what they thought was going to be a quick fix for their obesity, but have never dealt with their underlying reasons for being obese in the first place. One of them now wants to get gastric bypass, but if she does, I think that will likely fail too, because she has never taken responsibility for the fact that she has an eating disorder.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 AM
FitDay Member

Cool Good point

I had an adjustable lap band put in. It is a lifestyle change. I have been saying that the surgery fixes from the neck down only. I have a lot to work on to change from the neck up. I can't eat much in quantity anymore (yeah!!), but am trying to make quality choices now.

My surgery was also at a center of excellence center...it all depends on your insurance I guess.

And the vomiting...too much - too fast - too dry or a bad fill. Have to find the sweet spot!