View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
doggiesnot
FitDay Member

Hi ladies! I'm on a health kick as well as my fiance, we both started with the new year. I'm a guy, 39 yo, 5'10", and started at 205 pounds and am now at 193. This is overweight for me as I was super skinny most of my life, 28-30 waist and only 125 pounds when I joined the Army! :-O I used to have a six-pack, and now I have a pony keg! I'm working on getting that six-pack again.

I've been using fitday to log my activities and food intake and try to keep a 500-1000 calorie deficit per day. My fiance has lost 9 pounds so far. We joined a gym together, 24-hour fitness has 2-year memberships at Costco for $300, which puts it at $12.50 per month, for all-club Sport level or below. Anyway, my biggest excuse before was that I didn't have time to work out, but with a gym only 5 minutes from the house, we both go before work everyday. I'm using a personal training to kickstart good habits, and am working out one hour a day, seven days a week. I do strength training 3 days, followed by 30 minutes of cardio, and then I do 2 days of cardio only (1 hour), and for my 2 days "off" per week, I do an hour of Yoga, which is a free class offered by the gym.

I like that I'm eating healthier now. Adding more fresh fruits and vegetables is something I've always wanted to do but never really did. When I used to go grocery shopping, I would only get bananas from the produce section, and then head to the frozen foods! (ugh!) Now, we are very selective in what we eat. For instance, I saw someone mention rice earlier, and I wanted to mention that Quinoa is a great substitute for that! :-P Also, we have wraps on wheat tortillas with deli meat and cheese. Lots of little (healthy) snacks around and trying to eat five small meals per day rather than three big ones.

I'm always looking for more recipe ideas, and to hear success stories to remind me to stay the course!

Well, I'm just getting started in my quest to be healthier, so I'm sure you'll see lots more of me on here. I guess that's all about me, what is everyone else's story? How far in your quest are you?
DISCLAIMER: I am NOT an expert in nutrition, fitness, or exercise. Any advice given is only meant to be helpful based on what information I've gathered, and should not replace any medical treatment or any other true advice you may get from another source. Take it with a grain of salt, and then log that in your Foods tab!
doggiesnot is offline   Reply With Quote