Notices

High fat/protein, low carb recipes

Old 06-28-2010, 08:47 AM
FitDay Member

Default High fat/protein, low carb recipes

My apologies if there was already a thread for these recipes.

I would like to get the ball rolling with a combination I thought up this weekend, and I encourage folks to post their favorite Atkins/ketogenic diet recipes under this thread. Please include nutrition information if you have figured that out.

BACON-WRAPPED BRATWURST

Boil bratwurst sausages in water for about 30 minutes.
Remove the bratwurst from the water and lay them out on a cookie sheet or cooling rack to allow them to cool.
Once they are cool enough to handle, use the tip of a knife to lance and drain any pockets of water that developed under the skin.
Starting on one end of a sausage, secure a slice of thick-cut bacon to the sausage using a toothpick.
Wrap the bacon around the sausage, and secure the other end of the bacon slice to the other end of the sausage with another toothpick.
Cook the wrapped sausages, turning them frequently, until the bacon is fully cooked and crispy (I use a griddle set to 350°, but I am sure they could be pan-fried or cooked on the barbecue).
Set the cooked/wrapped links on a paper towel to cool and drain before eating or storing.

NUTRITION INFORMATION (using Johnsonville bratwurst and Safeway brand thick cut bacon slices), serving size = 1 wrapped link
Calories = 325
Fat = 27g
Carbohydrates = 2.2g (0 from fiber)
Protein = 17.5g
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
stats, inspired by Ron

Male, 6'0" tall, 37 y/o

Starting weight, 4/19/10 (started Atkins) = 287
6/16/10 (finished Atkins book & started Fitday) = 261
latest weight 6/28/10 = 255
mini goal (wedding) 9/4/10 = 220
ultimate goal for lifetime maintenance by 4/19/11 (one year mark, 100 pounds loss) = 187
If I can acheive this goal, it will be my lightest weight since high school

Last edited by davej323; 06-28-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: add stats, great idea Ron
Old 06-30-2010, 03:18 PM
FitDay Member

Default Wilted Spinach

Don't let the name freak you out. This is actually a variation on a Rachel Ray recipe, and it is basically just spinach that is cooked in some type of fat just long enough so that it becomes soft and wilted. I usually eat this as a dinner vegetable with some type of beef and a little bit of goat cheese on the side...yummy!

Ingredients:
Bacon as desired (I use four slices of thick-cut bacon)
1 bag (9 oz) leaf spinach

Cook the bacon in a frying pan or on a griddle until crisp.
Remove the bacon from the frying pan or griddle and allow to cool.
If you cooked the bacon in a frying pan, just leave the bacon grease in the pan. If you cooked it on a griddle, pour the grease from the grease catch into a frying pan.
Once the bacon is cool, dice it into small bits.
Heat the bacon grease on medium-high heat and add the bacon bits.
Once the grease and bacon mixture is sizzling, add a handful of the spinach.
Stir the spinach around in the grease until it is wilted and soft.
Add another handful of spinach and repeat the same process until you have added the whole bag.
Recipe should make about 2 cups of cooked spinach (I triple this recipe and have enough for dinner every night all week long).

Variations
For a lower-fat alternative, remove the bacon and use 2tbsp olive oil instead.
For more flavor, add diced onions and/or minced garlic. Add these items to the hot grease or oil to saute them before wilting the spinach.

Nutrition information
It's going to depend on the amount of bacon or oil you use. I just use the Fitday nutrition information for bacon and cooked spinach.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:18 AM
FitDay Member

Default low carb sandwich wrap

I got this idea from the Atkins book, and I must confess I haven't tried it yet. However, I like all the ingredients, and they are all complementary, so it is bound to taste good.

An alternative to make a "sandwich" without getting all the carbs you would from a bread covering is to use nori (the seaweed that sushi is wrapped in) to hold the sandwich ingredients. I know from experience that that stuff is brittle until it comes into contact with some heat/moisture, so I intend to use warm chicken, cheddar cheese, and avocado to make a wrap in one of these sheets. I will edit this post if it doesn't come out very good or if the nori wrap just doesn't work out for some reason.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 PM
FitDay Member

Default chocolate pudding/mousse

OK, before you freak out about the high calories, please note this is meant to be a treat to curb a chocolate craving, not a regular thing. Also, it is not really pudding or mousse, but rather merely a chocolate flavored whipped cream, but it does have the consistency of pudding or mousse. This is a pretty common recipe, and I have seen similar versions in the Atkins book and on various low carb recipe sites. I figured out the ingredient levels to tweak it to my liking.

Ingredients
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 packets of Splenda (or to taste with any artificial sweetener)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and beat with a whisk until stiff. If you didn't already have a workout, don't worry because this process is a workout in itself! It takes me about ten minutes to really thicken it up. If you have a mixer with a whisk attachment, that might be a better alternative.

Makes six 1/2 cup servings.

Nutrition information per 1/2 cup serving
Calories = 280
Fat = 27g
Carbohydrates = 2.9g
Dietary Fiber = 0.67g
Protein = 0.67g
Old 07-01-2010, 07:10 PM
FitDay Member

Brilliant, Dave, I've been looking to start a thread just like this but I guess you beat me to the punch. Good thing, too, because I don't have any recipes to post just yet.

Have you heard of/tried the bacon explosion yet? Your first post reminded me of that recipe...
Old 07-02-2010, 05:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken
Have you heard of/tried the bacon explosion yet? Your first post reminded me of that recipe...
Is that the thing with the bacon weaved together in a mat? If so, I have seen pictures but never tried it (yet!)
Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 AM
FitDay Member

Cauliflower pizza:

The Lighter Side of Low-Carb: I Can't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust!

Cauliflower rice:

Cauliflower "Rice" Recipe - How to Make Cauliflower Similar to Rice

Spaghetti squash with meatsauce.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:44 PM
FitDay Member

Zorba - that looks awesome. Will try this week. Made some seed pizza crusts but never thought of cauliflower...thanks for the tip!
Old 07-26-2010, 01:14 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by pbright120
Zorba - that looks awesome. Will try this week. Made some seed pizza crusts but never thought of cauliflower...thanks for the tip!
It IS awesome. The first time I made it it came out a bit soft (didn't have a proper pizza pan), but from about the 2nd time on, it ROCKS! I can pick it up and eat it like a real pizza! I was so pumped I posted all kinds of pictures of it on my facebook!

If you let the crust cool and then put the sauce/toppings on it it will hold even more firm.

Make sure you use some kind of non-stick spray because it can be a little sticky if you don't.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:05 PM
FitDay Member

Just had a sausage, bacon, PB "sandwich" for breakfast. Oh yeah...

1 sausage patty, spread the peanut butter on patty, top PB with 3 pieces bacon, enjoy. It's was my highest calorie breakfast I've had in a long time, but it fits within my macros for the day. =]]

423 Calories
35g Fat
7g Carbs

Last edited by heytred; 07-26-2010 at 03:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.