Notices

My first day at Fitday. Hi all. I want to loose 25 lbs.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 AM
FitDay Member

Red face My first day at Fitday. Hi all. I want to loose 25 lbs.

This is my first day. Help. I eat junk.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:53 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome! Eating junk was a problem for me, too. =) Here are a few tips that worked for me:
- Get the junk out of your house! If it's not there, you can't eat it.
- When shopping, stick to the perimeters of the store where the fruits, vegetables, fresh meats and seafood, etc. can be found.
- Check nutrition labels. You might be surprised just how many calories, fat grams, preservatives, and other unknown ingredients hang out in processed foods!
- Replace some of the junk with healthier alternatives. Instead of potato chips, have vegetables and hummus. Instead of candy, have fruit or greet yogurt. Instead of meals high in carbs and fat, choose healthy meals with whole grains, lean proteins, and vegetables.
- Record everything you eat in your FitDay food log!

Best of luck. =)
Old 06-23-2010, 05:37 AM
FitDay Member

I also found that making a weekly menu helps, because you have planned what you are eating for the entire week.

Be prepared for some trial and error to see what works for you. You will get some great advice on these threads, but what works for one person definitely does not work for another.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:44 AM
FitDay Member

Well then - if all you eat is junk food then you are in luck, the food log has lists of junk food too ... take one day and record all of the crap that you eat ... I'm sure when you see how the numbers lay out - you'll walk into your kitchen and get rid of the some more serious offending foods ASAP !

You came to this website -- you've made the first move ... now, record your weight, weight goal, measurements (if you are daring), and start keeping a log of your food (even if it's junk) .. it will all help and before you know it - you'll be on the right track ... (and you can even eat some junk every now and then) ...

Good luck ...

Shawn
Old 06-26-2010, 12:47 AM
FitDay Member

I used to hit fast food - a lot. Anyway I found keeping my money in the back of the car (where I couldn't reach it), really helped me to avoid the drive thru window. Fast food is a whole lot less convenient if you have to get out of the car, open the trunk and dig around in the back. I also only buy gas at places where I can pay at the pump, I never go in anymore.

When I have candy bar cravings I reach for a Pure Protein bar, they fix the problem without derailing my efforts, and the kids like them too. At first I thought maybe I shouldn't give them to the kids, but they always want something junkie after swim practice, which is a pretty serious workout, so I figured why not? What's good for the goose is good for the goslings.

When I crave chips I grab a bag of Quakes, they are little flavored rice cakes, crunchy and salty like chips with a lot fewer calories and less fat. Even if you eat the whole bag is like maybe 200-300 calories and very little fat. But we have 3 kids so I never get the whole bag to myself. Another good junkie-like snack is fish crackers, you can have like 50 and it's only 140 calories and very little fat, and get this you can buy "whole grain" fish crackers so they fix your junk craving and they're good for you! Win-win.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:41 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome! I just joined in on the discussion forum myself, and it's been great. Anything for extra motivation, right?

I am a total junk food junkie at heart, and it's a constant struggle for me to avoid the bad stuff. Others made some great points, and I agree that if you don't bring it in the house, it's a lot easier to avoid it.

I had a major sweet tooth last night, and I wanted to splurge, but I didn't want to derail my progress, so I made my own ice cream shake. I used low fat ice cream, almond milk, whey protein powder and ground flax, and I know it wasn't exactly healthy, but it was sooo good! It ended up being less than 300 calories, 40% carbs, 35% protein, and 25% fat (mostly good fat from the flax). I usually have 4-5 mini meals of a few hundred calories each, so the shake ended up being dinner, and it really hit the spot! Other substitutions for sweets are Special K protein bars and Fiber One granola bars. They really do feel like a treat when I'm having cravings. When I'm craving salt, my favorite treat is whole grain crackers and veggies with Laughing Cow light cheese wedges.

You can't expect to start eating clean overnight. I know many people here have cut out processed food and sweeteners, but I haven't been able to do that yet. Making changes like adding more lean protein, healthy fat and fiber to your diet will show results, as well as reducing calories on little things whenever possible. I use fat free mayo in my tuna and egg salad, use plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream, buy reduced fat cheeses, and only eat lean meats. I only buy whole grains, and increased my fruit and veggie intake.

Utilizing fitday in every way possible is a fantastic motivator, and using the food journal does wonders for the way you think about food. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2010, 07:18 AM
FitDay Member

Default New Here :-)

Hello, ladies! I didn't see an ongoing thread for 25-lb weight loss goals, so I hope you don't mind my joining in on the fun!

I'm 37 and currently weigh 139. My weight has shot up in the past few months due to a new Rx that I'm taking for a long-term medical issue. I shot up several pounds without even trying, so I want to get rid of those extra pounds AND get rid of another 20, so that I can be back to where I can feel comfortable.

After 3 children, I weighed only 95 lbs, but for some crazy reason (being in my 30's maybe), I am where I am today...139. I'm overweight according to BMI calculators, because I'm only 5'1". Also, although I've been up to a size 4 since 2008, recently my clothes have become ultra tight, so I'm what I call a "chubby" 4 now.

I started keeping a food journal a few days ago and have done well so far. I've always kept an exercise journal in my gym, but embarassingly enough, I've gone weeks/months w/out working out at times even though my gym is literally next door to my office. I've worked out every day w/out exception for a few days now and I feel great. I need to keep it up in order to reach my goal. I'm determined to get back into the tons of size 2's that are in my closet...pajamas included!