Notices

Stuck Just Above 200lbs

Old 06-29-2010, 04:59 AM
FitDay Member

Arrow Stuck Just Above 200lbs

Hi there,

I am new to these forums, but far from new to weight loss. A year ago I got on the scale and weighed a huge 278.5lbs and knew that I couldn't let myself get any heavier. I started to change my lifestyle by making healthier choices, cooking for myself, and adding an exercise program. So far I have lost 75lbs, but I am stuck hovering just above 200lbs.

I am sure my junk food binge that is associated with my period doesn't help, as I tend to gain one pound during that time, but other than those four days a month I am pretty strict about what I eat, go to a fitness bootcamp for an hour five days a week.

Yet again I find myself trying to alter my diet to give me that little push I need over this hump. I am eating mainly fruits, vegetables and whole grains, with lean protein. I do not drink soda, and do my best [while not always successful] to not eat junk food. I am eating roughly 1300 - 1500 calories a day.

Does anyone have any tips to get me back on track for my goal? I'm a mere 43 lbs away from my major weight loss goal [anything else is just icing on the cake] and I want to get there so bad.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:33 AM
FitDay Member

When I hit a plateau I try and do 3 consecutive days of a really high protein diet meanwhile dropping my calories to 1,300 (where normally I would be around 1,500). Usually I keep my carbs at 40%, but when I do "protein days" that drops to about 30% and I try and push my proteins up near 50%. It's hard to do that (unless you're already living on an Atkins diet), but usually it breaks the plateau and then I can go back to my normal 40-40-20 pie chart. You might also consider changing up your workout a couple of days a week. Change out bootcamp for laps in the pool or maybe start training for a 5K. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
When I hit a plateau I try and do 3 consecutive days of a really high protein diet meanwhile dropping my calories to 1,300 (where normally I would be around 1,500). Usually I keep my carbs at 40%, but when I do "protein days" that drops to about 30% and I try and push my proteins up near 50%. It's hard to do that (unless you're already living on an Atkins diet), but usually it breaks the plateau and then I can go back to my normal 40-40-20 pie chart. You might also consider changing up your workout a couple of days a week. Change out bootcamp for laps in the pool or maybe start training for a 5K. Good luck.
Thanks for the tips. I will try what you suggested and hopefully it'll do the trick! I hate eating high protein, I always end up with a wicked stomachache but it's certainly worth a try!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:08 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with almeeker, increasing your protein may be what you need to break the plateau. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:22 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 55mandy55
Thanks for the tips. I will try what you suggested and hopefully it'll do the trick! I hate eating high protein, I always end up with a wicked stomachache but it's certainly worth a try!
I know, high protein is sometimes a trial for me too. You might try some protein powder smoothies made with yogurt instead of milk. I'm somewhat lactose intolerant (which gives me wicked stomach aches), so for me yogurt is the way to go, specifically Greek yogurt. Eggs whites are also helpful, as are almonds, tuna and protein bars. Just watch the calories on the protein bars, they can be crazy high and have a ton of carbs too.

Thanks rpmcduff, I agree with you a lot too. A while back you were giving advice to someone about protein and you wrote "and how many times have I said this...". I totally cracked up, because I felt that way myself.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:24 AM
FitDay Member

Lots and lots and lots of water helps me get the scale going in the right direction again. If I don't get 8-10 glasses of water a day, the scale won't budge! Good luck. =)
Old 06-30-2010, 04:44 AM
FitDay Member

I'll definitely have to add some more almonds and what not into my diet. Most of my caloric intake comes from fruits and veggies [this is mainly what I eat]. I was a vegetarian for a long time and more often than not eating meat [any meat] can make me sick. I try to get my protein mainly from yogurt, beans and nuts.

I'll also try out the protein powder, I do have some and maybe that will give me the boost I need, and upping my water intake. I already drink a large thing of iced tea every day, usually with four or five cups of water -- lol, I can't imagine peeing more than I already do.

Thanks for the tips! Hopefully in two weeks when I weigh myself again I will have broken the plateau or at least be on my way.