View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
almeeker
FitDay Member

Do you have a spot where you can grow a little garden? That's about the cheapest way I know to eat organic food. Outside of that I realize that it's hard to control what goes in your mouth when you aren't in control of the kitchen. Well, instead of going out to eat, why don't you volunteer to do the shopping and/or the cooking? At least part of the time anyway. Believe me there are specials every week at every grocery store, so whatever healthy foods are on sale this week, and make your menu from there. Buy extra and stock up, so you aren't eating chicken every night of the week.

On top of that you might shop at Farmer's Markets and U-Pick places. Last year I picked strawberries and blueberries for $1/pound, and I put them in the freezer for making smoothies, and made low-sugar jam. I bought 4 bushels of apples at the Farmer's Market for $.50/pound, and made low-sugar apple sauce and apple butter (it's yummy and makes a great gift). I don't know about where you live, but around here there are a couple of discount style grocery stores that always have really good prices on fresh produce, Aldi's, Sav-A-Lot, Sam's Club and Costco. Now mind you they often have "seconds" which are a little bigger/smaller/spottier than the premium stuff you get at the high dollar grocery store, but nutrition doesn't really vary between a beautiful perfect pepper and a lumpy one. Also look at buying things in bulk in order to get a better price. Once a year I buy a 25 pound bag of brown rice from Sam's Club, last time it cost me $11, and it's enough for maybe 50-60 meals.
Goal weight: 120 lbs
Weight to go: 44 lbs
Goal Date: 1/1/13
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote