Thread: Home garden
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
mstaff4564
FitDay Member

I would love to have a garden of my own, but my parents have a really good-sized one that I end up mooching off of. Plus, they have a solar electric fence surrounding it, which helps keep the critters out.

I'm really grateful for that garden right now. I want to eat healthier, but we are really struggling to pay bills and it's hard to fight for fresh fruit when we can barely afford food for meals that week. I try to buy seasonal, but I still find myself having to cut out fruits I really want because of the price.

Fortunately I have a lot of vegetables to choose from thanks to my parents garden. Lettuce, squash, cucumbers...and I think the first batch of tomatoes will be ready next weekend (my favorite). I think the broccoli is starting to come in too. By the time growing season is over, I hope to be in a better position financially where I can at least afford some fresh or frozen veggies & fruits to see me through the winter.

Next year I might consider a berry garden, with some strawberries, blueberries, etc. That would be a good way to get inexpensive fruits as well
mstaff4564 is offline   Reply With Quote