Notices

Prednisone and Diet

Old 06-21-2010, 12:26 PM
FitDay Member

Default Prednisone and Diet

I have a question that I can only find vague answers for. Will a very high dose, 1000 mg/day (not a typo) of oral prednisone for 5 days damage all the progress I've made in 3 months. It wouldn't change anything, but I just need to psych myself up if it's going to. How long after the course of meds are done will it continue to do damage. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:32 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Dizzy, I've been on prednisone a bunch for my asthma, although it was a much lower dose. I don't think being on this med for 5 days will have a major effect on your weight loss. Plan out your meals. Try to keep lots of low cal veggies around if you get extra hungry (side effect). It will probably take a week or so for it to leave your system. Stay strong. If you know you're on it and you know the hunger side effects you can try and account for them. My friend has lupus and is on prednisone for life and she manages to keep a very healthy body weight.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:30 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Julia for your input and experience, it helps alot. I'm hoping that being on such a short course will not derail me too much. Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:50 AM
FitDay Member

I know you posted this a few days ago but I was hoping I could still catch you. I just finished high, high dose steroids for MS about a month ago. I was on them for 6 days. I did gain weight which was attributed to water gain and it seemed to come off right after I stopped the treatment.

Please don't let it discourage you. I did not get an increase in appetite, however, and that may be a different story.

Good Luck!
Old 06-26-2010, 11:15 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you so much poorsprout. Just finished mine on thursday (gotta love the heat, eh). My appetite did not increase but my scale retaliated....I'm up 9 pounds in 5 days and feel like a puffer fish. I'm just waiting for all this to pass, and hopefully there won't be too much damage to my diet, I've worked too hard. Thanks again...it's nice have support to not feel alone.